Two a days. Beneficial or overtraining?

Options
2»

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Two a days are not that uncommon when training for longer distance races (I'm not sure they'd be beneficial for a HM) but if you do feel the urge to up the ante a little you're probably ok to add something low / no impact (for example, this morning I rowed 10 x 500m intervals with 1 min rest and after work I'll be running 8km / 5 miles) like biking, rowing, swimming.

I would also suggest approaching this cautiously, I've been running close to 7 years and would never have tried two a days for the first couple of years. Pay attention to any little niggles and dial it back if they crop up.
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Wait.....did you just say that running is not "real cardio"?! The fact that you feel like you are "cheating" when you do so much exercise makes me think maybe you may be heading to an unhealthy place, in terms of your mindset. That type of thinking is perfectionistic and what folks with eating disorders (which can take the shape of exercise anorexia) are prone to. I belong to a women's eating disorder support group where we talk about this type of stuff....

Edited to add: If you want to challenge yourself, try throwing in some Fartlek's to your running routine. The sprinting a few days a week will progress you much faster than steady-state running will.

Nothing wrong with getting lots of exercise, but doing it because you feel guilty or you are not doing everything perfectly is a red flag.

Not an unhealthy place... just comparing the fatigue I feel after jogging to the fatigue I've felt after things like Insanity, and they are not comparable, that's all. I do not own a fast twitch muscle in my body, so that's a lot more difficult for me to do...
  • msthang444
    Options

Then take one of your run days and make it a tempo run. Or finish the last mile at a faster pace than the rest of the run. If running isnt a priority and you don't care to improve, then drop a day and do whatever video you like. Running is about as true cardio as it gets. If you want to sweat more and be out of breath like you are in your videos, then run faster.

Good compromise!
  • msthang444
    Options

OP: I have a friend that has been doing a few marathons a year for awhile now. He added a yoga class to his normal training and really enjoyed it. But if you feel that you aren't getting "real cardio" from running you either need to speed up, or add some interval running to the mix.

Good suggestion.... Sprinting is definitely not my strength, and that would give me that extra "umph" that I fee like I"m missing.
  • msthang444
    Options
    Thanks all!

And I apologize for contracting half marathon training to marathon training.

I 100% recognize the difference and would not in a million years try to do 2 a days on the full marathon training. We got to week 10 (18 mile long run) and it was NO JOKE. I was dead for the next 24 hours...
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I don't know that you've clarified *why* you would be adding a second workout on any given day. Are you trying to speed up weight loss or improve cardiovascular performance?

Neither really. I guess I"m trying to make sure I'm covering all my bases . As stated in a previous post... I feel like I'm "cheating" by just jogging. That doesn't really challenge me (other than the long run). So... contemplating adding in some interval cardio. I don't really care about the "number" but I do care about the most beneficial workouts. The marathon training covers some cardio, but I know that I am not winded and out of breath when I'm done.
    Do you try to push yourself harder and increase your pace every week? If it doesn't challenge than you need to make it challenging.
  • msthang444
    Options
    [/quote]
    Do you try to push yourself harder and increase your pace every week? If it doesn't challenge than you need to make it challenging.
    [/quote]

with the short runs... yeah. With the long runs, not so much.

I cut about... 3 minutes off my 3 mile.
    I cut about 90 seconds off my 4 mile.
    Everything else changes each week, so other than pace, it doesn't have a comparison point.
  • SilviCor
    SilviCor Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I agree that to get better at running, you have to run. I would include hill training or sprints to improve your cardiovascular and muscle endurance.
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    When I was training for my half marathon and triathlon season last year I absolutely did two-a-days. Especially if you are strength training. (Sport specific strength training) And you don't want to do a two-a-day before or after a day where you have a key run.

If you were training for triathlons, you would also be doing "brick" workouts. It isn't uncommon.