My success with Oatmeal

Options
13»

Replies

• Sparklewolfie
    Options

The Quick Rolled Oats have to be cooked before eating. We mix, and pop in the microwave for about two minutes - 150 calories. The instant oats are just that - put in a bowl, pour hot water over them, stir and eat. In the first case you get a hearty cup full of food for 150 calories. In the second you get roughly 1/2 C of cereal if you follow the package directions and 100 calories. The instant is OK if you're doing it at work but the quick oats provide a much better base. It's half as much yield but only 1/3 fewer calories.

Thank you for your help! I think my "instant whole oats" sounds like the quick rolled oats because if I try a bite without microwaving first, the oat pieces are too chewy or hard to eat!
  • BeemersMom
    Options
    This may sound a bit strange, but it is really good. I never really liked oatmeal, especially the pre-pouched flavored stuff, and I don't like anything sweet for breakfast. Plain oatmeal was not interesting at all. Then I discovered that I really like oatmeal with spinach and a bit of shredded cheddar cheese. I use the whole grain quick oats, cooked per package instructions. I toss a handful or 2 of fresh baby spinach leaves in a bowl, top with the oatmeal, sprinkle with a bit of 2% shredded cheddar and microwave until the cheese melts and the spinach wilts. (Cut the stems off the spinach and cut the leaves in half so it's easier to eat.)

It's a different approach to breakfast for those of us who don't care for sweets in the a.m. And it's yummy - and filling.
  • eleanoreb
    eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pumpkin-Oatmeal-2/Detail.aspx

I haven't tried it, but some other members have suggested this pumkin oatmeal recipe and it looks really good!
  • kaddie125
    Options
    are you eating the "instant" oatmeal with the added flavours? It's loaded with refined sugars that spike your insulin just like sugar cereals.

Try Oats (not instant) with cinnamon and some natural peanut butter?

Don't know about the other people with this problem, but I eat Quakers instant whole oats (not in packets, no flavoring) and still want to eat more!

I eat the exact same stuff and I am ALWAYS hungry!! Hmm... It might just be Quakers. Tomorrow I'll pick up something different.
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Super amazing and crazy filling oatmeal recipe:

( I invented this when I got hooked on oatmeal last year when I started MFP)

Carrot Cake Oatmeal

1/2c oats
    15 baby carrots, grated
    cinnamon and nutmeg and splenda to taste
    a tablespoon or so crushed pecans
    some raisins if desired
    about 1c unsweetened almond milk
    1tbsp light cream cheese
    pinch of brown sugar

Just boil the oats, most of the almond milk and some water if needed, and the carrots together until cooked, with the raisins if you choose, the cinnamon and nutmeg, and the splenda. Meanwhile microwave the creams cheese until it's really soft (almost liquid) then whisk it with a dribble of almond milk until it's like cream. Put oatmeal in a bowl, and pur cream cheese mix over top. Sprinkle on some brown sugar and the pecans, and enjoy!

I'm not going to bother with the nutritional, because it will vary depending on how much you make, and how much you add, etc, but for me this dish is usually about 275cal.

Hope you like it! =)