working out calories after eating out

Options
Hello :) so me and hubby went out for our anniversary tonight to a thai restaurant. I have found it incredibly hard, almost impossible to work out rhe calories, I made better choices that I would have previously and ate less, something which is starting to come naturally to me.

For starters I had salmon skewers (id say maybe 150g of salmon which had been lightly fried) with about tablespoon of satay sauce. For main I had duck (1 breast, skin and fat removed) in ginger and spring onion sauce and me and hubby shared some noodles with beansprouts and egg in them (so half of an average portion) and I had about 6 chips. There isnt anything that is similar on mfp especially for the duck!

Anyone willing to guesstimate so I can compare with what I ended up putting it at? Also what do you all do in these situations? I dont want to not log it all as I dont want to fall in the trap of not logging things!

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    You know, it was your anniversary. There are going to be many events in your life that involve not knowing the calories. You could find something online or in the database that is close, log it and move on.

Or you could not worry about it and move on.

You'll have to come to terms with social events and eating in one way or another. Your strategy will be yours alone.

The trick is not making every day a food celebration.
  • gemmalu
    gemmalu Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It was your anniversary - congratulations! So give yourself a day off to enjoy the special occasion. Just get back to logging tomorrow and well done for making better choices with your meal :-)
  • gemmalu
    gemmalu Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    It was your anniversary - congratulations! So give yourself a day off to enjoy the special occassion. Just get back to logging tomorrow and well done for making better choices with your meal :-)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You know, it was your anniversary. There are going to be many events in your life that involve not knowing the calories. You could find something online or in the database that is close, log it and move on.

Or you could not worry about it and move on.

You'll have to come to terms with social events and eating in one way or another. Your strategy will be yours alone.

The trick is not making every day a food celebration.

I agree with this. Don't worry about it. Move on.
  • kel913
    kel913 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Aw thank you all :) its not actually the thought of it being over my calories that is bothering me, I just feel the need to track it so I dont fall in to bad habits of thinking ooh i might have gone over my calories so I wont bother logging - if you know what I mean?
  • Indiri13
    Indiri13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I generally just go with best guess and log that. For example, yesterday I had a sausage croissant from a local breakfast place so I used the Starbucks croissant and the Denny's sausage since those are pretty similar in size/type to what I had. Is it exact? Well, no, but for me that's better than not logging at all.

Do the best you can and forget about it and then just remember the lovely evening.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Aw thank you all :) its not actually the thought of it being over my calories that is bothering me, I just feel the need to track it so I dont fall in to bad habits of thinking ooh i might have gone over my calories so I wont bother logging - if you know what I mean?

Congratulations!

There are a lot of non-mfp calorie lists out there, and some specifically for restaurants. I would try to find a Thai restaurant and just go with things that sound similar. It happens to everyone.
  • Momto4minions
    Momto4minions Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I would write a note in the note section.
    Make a guesstimate and move on
    Roast duck has 48 calories per oz with fat and skin removed, according to calorie counter.com

Estimate...relax...make a note and CONGRATS!

Oh, you can add quick calories to estimate at the bottom of the app page. Write anniversary, enter calories and let it go. No need to be too critical of one celebration!
  • EvenThatNameIsTaken
    Options
    I do know what you mean! After eating out I prefer to record what I ate, even if it's not proper in the database. If I think the database entry is way off, I'll quick add a few more calories or even create a new entry just for myself. I don't like to quick add the whole meal because when I look back, I like to see a somewhat accurate log of the meal I had (this sounds like you too). You can also google some general calorie guidelines for meats, etc., but I agree with everyone else that for the most part, you should relax and enjoy your anniversary, and congrats by the way!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options

I do understand this, but if you are going to be this strict with yourself you also have to acknowledge your inability to always know the calories. Make a guess and move on. Really, you're not going to be going back and researching all your past meals. Weight loss isn't that specific. It's about making better choices than you used to make and it's about not using food as an emotional crutch.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    If you do not know your meal for one day, it isn't a big deal. But I know how nerve wracking it can be when you are trying to lose weight.

If you really need to know, maybe you can individually plug in each item you had and guestimate the serving size?

I did that last time I was in your situation, which was a few weeks ago.