Truth about alcohol, protein and exercise.

Options
Hello all, this is my first article I have posted on here. Hope it is of interest and in the appropriate place.

Let’s face it, most of us enjoy a few beers from time to time, but how does alcohol affect our training?

Exercise is normally followed by a recovery period involving repair and building of muscle. However, a recent study by Parr et al (2014) found consuming around 12 units of alcohol (about 5 pints or 6 double vodkas) after training led to a 37% reduction in muscle protein synthesis compared to consuming a protein drink. That means alcohol consumption inhibited over a third of the gains that the athletes would have made, if alcohol had not been consumed.

Most worryingly, they found that a protein-alcohol combination still led to a 24% reduction in muscle protein synthesis versus a protein drink alone. This shows having a protein “rescue” drink or meal after a few pints is only partially effective.

The reasons why consuming protein, along with alcohol, isn’t as effective as we would hope, is explained by how alcohol inhibits muscle growth. Much early speculation guessed that somehow there was an inability to get amino acids (the building blocks of protein) into the bloodstream due to the large alcohol intake. However, in this study, there was no difference in the concentration of amino acids in the blood, regardless of whether the subjects consumed alcohol or not. This means amino acids were reaching the muscle, but not being used as effectively due to the alcohol.

It appears that alcohol can directly inhibit various parts of the “signaling cascade”. This is a series of reactions, which determine how much protein to build/break down (along with a huge number of other things). Alcohol inhibits a complex called mTORC1, and its downstream markers, which are responsible for actually building muscle (feel free to contact me for more information on this). Therefore, alcohol, regardless of what it is consumed with, directly inhibits protein synthesis.

So what can we do about this – many of us consider it unrealistic to give up alcohol and “binge drinking” is highly prevalent in athletes, often more so than in the general population. Unfortunately we cannot prevent the detrimental effects on alcohol, so it is best to limit alcohol intake to when the adaptive responses (muscle growth) are less important e.g. the end of a season. However, when a few pints do get flowing have a protein drink/meal – this isn’t going to eliminate the detrimental effects but will help a little. At this point it’s not clear whether there is a dose-response relationship between alcohol intake and reductions in protein synthesis (i.e. more pints = less gains) but it seems a logical conclusion. Therefore, it may be worth considering minimizing alcohol intake wherever possible. Remember, reducing alcohol is important for far more health-related reasons than just muscle gains.

Doctoral Researcher in Exercise Adaptation and Metabolism:

Follow me on Twitter (https://twitter.com/Michael300891)

Replies

• tyrsnbdr
    tyrsnbdr Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thats why when I have a beer, its the best beer in the place.
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    If you're routinely drinking 6 double vodkas after a workout, you have more to worry about than protein synthesis.

Would be interested in the findings of a more moderate intake.
  • michael300891
    Options
    If you're routinely drinking 6 double vodkas after a workout, you have more to worry about than protein synthesis.

Yes I totally agree, as I said though no-one has investigated a dose-response relationship yet unfortunately. I would assume however, that one exists... Remember this study is one of the very first to actually look at this in humans, as opposed to rats so it's still early days but the results are pretty conclusive that excessive alcohol is detrimental to muscle gains at this point.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    5 pints.
    You're piss drunk on that mate.

I think it was in '11 that a nice lady at UCSF (the one doing research and a small human study on restricted calorie diets and aging) produced some data that showed 1-3 units after a workout was not going to cause any effect, that's 1 to 2 pints.

I wish I had the pubmed access still to pull it down, but it was interesting.
  • michael300891
    Options
    5 pints.
    You're piss drunk on that mate.

I think it was in '11 that a nice lady at UCSF (the one doing research and a small human study on restricted calorie diets and aging) produced some data that showed 1-3 units after a workout was not going to cause any effect, that's 1 to 2 pints.

I wish I had the pubmed access still to pull it down, but it was interesting.

Louise Burke was it by any chance? You got the link to that study? Sounds interesting!
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options

yea me too, i drink low calorie beer which also has less alcohol, it takes 9 bud55's to equal the amount of alcohol in 6 miller lites. And no i dont drink 9 just giving you the alcohol comparison.
  • dbmata
    Options
    My memory is **** today, I think it was Dr. Elissa Epel at UCSF, head of the Ames. I might be full of **** on the alcohol research, it wouldn't make sense considering her normal focus. Now I need to sit here and try to remember who did that study if it wasn't UCSF.
  • brewji
    brewji Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I wonder how much these people got paid to realize working out and then downing 5 pints wouldn't help them gain muscle mass as effectively as consuming protein.

Seriously, if this is considered science then we have a problem.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    hmm, well, hmm, I drink my face off all weekend
    I burn 1000 calories and more 7 days a week.
    it works for me.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I wonder how much these people got paid to realize working out and then downing 5 pints wouldn't help them gain muscle mass as effectively as consuming protein.

Seriously, if this is considered science then we have a problem.

agreed, it shows that in general, STEM understanding in the US is at an all time low if someone can't understand the value of research like this.
  • jkowula
    jkowula Posts: 447
    Options
    hmm, well, hmm, I drink my face off all weekend
    I burn 1000 calories and more 7 days a week.
    it works for me.

Ah must be one of my good fellow Canadian's right here!
  • Tony_Von_Stryfe
    Tony_Von_Stryfe Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I love to get liqoured up after I work out, its very gratifying
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hello all, this is my first article I have posted on here. Hope it is of interest and in the appropriate place.

Let’s face it, most of us enjoy a few beers from time to time, but how does alcohol affect our training?

Exercise is normally followed by a recovery period involving repair and building of muscle. However, a recent study by Parr et al (2014) found consuming around 12 units of alcohol (about 5 pints or 6 double vodkas) after training led to a 37% reduction in muscle protein synthesis compared to consuming a protein drink. That means alcohol consumption inhibited over a third of the gains that the athletes would have made, if alcohol had not been consumed.

Most worryingly, they found that a protein-alcohol combination still led to a 24% reduction in muscle protein synthesis versus a protein drink alone. This shows having a protein “rescue” drink or meal after a few pints is only partially effective.

The reasons why consuming protein, along with alcohol, isn’t as effective as we would hope, is explained by how alcohol inhibits muscle growth. Much early speculation guessed that somehow there was an inability to get amino acids (the building blocks of protein) into the bloodstream due to the large alcohol intake. However, in this study, there was no difference in the concentration of amino acids in the blood, regardless of whether the subjects consumed alcohol or not. This means amino acids were reaching the muscle, but not being used as effectively due to the alcohol.

It appears that alcohol can directly inhibit various parts of the “signaling cascade”. This is a series of reactions, which determine how much protein to build/break down (along with a huge number of other things). Alcohol inhibits a complex called mTORC1, and its downstream markers, which are responsible for actually building muscle (feel free to contact me for more information on this). Therefore, alcohol, regardless of what it is consumed with, directly inhibits protein synthesis.

So what can we do about this – many of us consider it unrealistic to give up alcohol and “binge drinking” is highly prevalent in athletes, often more so than in the general population. Unfortunately we cannot prevent the detrimental effects on alcohol, so it is best to limit alcohol intake to when the adaptive responses (muscle growth) are less important e.g. the end of a season. However, when a few pints do get flowing have a protein drink/meal – this isn’t going to eliminate the detrimental effects but will help a little. At this point it’s not clear whether there is a dose-response relationship between alcohol intake and reductions in protein synthesis (i.e. more pints = less gains) but it seems a logical conclusion. Therefore, it may be worth considering minimizing alcohol intake wherever possible. Remember, reducing alcohol is important for far more health-related reasons than just muscle gains.

Doctoral Researcher in Exercise Adaptation and Metabolism:

Follow me on Twitter (https://twitter.com/Michael300891)

Thanks for your topic and thoughts. Coincidentally I just posted a few minutes ago I know a healthy, functional, gainfully employed, family man, who for years has imbibed no alcohol, sugar, flour, caffeine or nicotine and has exercised regularly, is now at a ripe age: a living example that it can be done. It isn't crazy, just excellent.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    The study is true. But if applied to everyday life? I doubt anyone is downing 5 pints of alcohol after a workout. And if they are, then they probably aren't seeing results.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

Yes I totally agree, as I said though no-one has investigated a dose-response relationship yet unfortunately. I would assume however, that one exists... Remember this study is one of the very first to actually look at this in humans, as opposed to rats so it's still early days but the results are pretty conclusive that excessive alcohol is detrimental to muscle gains at this point.

Sounds like an awesome study for a doctoral researcher in exercise adaptation and metabolism to look at :wink: First published study, extremely interesting as unknown what mechanism is causing the inhibition in growth, filling a yawning gap amongst those who'd like to train hard and add mass but have a few drinks now and again (i.e., a fair bit less than 6 doubles - and how does 6 doubles = 5 pints of alcohol? always thought a pint was more or less a shot to a shot and a half, basically). I mean, I would stand up and applaud for some data like that :drinker: :flowerforyou: :love:

As someone who enjoys a regular drink and will soon be looking to add muscle mass, I would actually be very, very interested in any studies addressing to what degree modest alcohol consumption inhibits muscle synthesis; anecdotally, regular moderate consumption has not seemed to have a very deleterious affect on my ability to maintain muscle mass during a deficit.
  • mgorham13
    mgorham13 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Back in my glory days 5 pints was a good start or my warm-up if you will except I wasn't working out or playing sports anymore. These days I hardy drink ( maybe 6 occasions all of 2013) but when I do I go all out. The question I would love to have answered is "what effect will alcohol consumption (excessive= more than 5 drinks over a few hours) have on your workouts and protein synthesis in the day(s) after? Besides feeling like crap, dehydrated and not knowing where your wallet or underwear are.
  • phillipedes
    Options
    Sooo... does this mean going wine-tasting all day and then running an hour on the treadmill before I go out to the nightclubs ISN'T going to help me get fit? ;)

LOL!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I'd rather just do everything in moderation.
  • zilfig64
    zilfig64 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    While interesting, as a former researcher, the study appears to be set-up to give these results...

First off, only 8 subjects were used - not a big sample, although their definaition of athlete looks ok.

Secondly, they used only minimal data points - why not include in the study alcohol only or Carbs only, rather that focus on Protein only, Protein/Alcohol, and Carbs/Alcohol. I understand that the usual push for high output atheltes is protein after exertion, but it seems like they missed some pretty obvious data collection points.

Third, they failed to state that Myofibrillar fractional synthetic rate was higher with both alcohol/protein, and alcohol/carbs, than simply rest - therefore you could argue that alcohol actually helped the athletes. Since the article stated that binge drinking was usually associated with an increased protein intake - I could successfully argue that the alcohol/protein was better for the athlete than rest.

Fourth - they only focused on "athletes who binge drink", and only on the 8 hour period right after simulated game time - what about a longer term study - like how it affected their muscle development or rebuild over the course of a week or month?

Lastly, the study seemed to be set-up to reach these conclusions - based on the above, and the statement at the end of the article:
    "Regrettably, there has been difficulty in finding an educational message with alcohol consumption related to sports performance that has resonance with athletes. ... . Our findings provide an evidence-base for a message of moderation in alcohol intake to promote recovery after exercise with the potential to alter current sports culture and athlete practices."

A study with pre-detemined, limited data points, and only 8 participants does not make something "evidence based".

Seems to me the real message - moderation - gets lost in the shuffle.
  • ZOOpergal
    ZOOpergal Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    What can I say..I like to get my drink on on my weekends. I keep to my goals five days a week and on the weekends I do what I want (within reason). Definately slows the weight loss, but it keeps me sane and stops me from falling completely off the wagon. Three pounds down in a month isn't too shabby, and I'm still having fun with friends.