Help from heavy lifters?

Options
I am a runner, but I really want to be able to bench press 200 pounds. I have made a goal to bench 200 by the end of July. Currently I can lift 120.

The problem is, I absolutely HATE weight lifting. I think it is really boring, and it is just no fun being in a gym. I'd much rather be outside running.

What is the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM lifting I can do in order to reach my goal? Do you think there is something I could be doing during my runs that would help?

A friend of mine is doing the same thing and I really want to be able to join him in July.

Replies

• jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    an 80lb gain in a mere few months will be a lofty goal if you are not serious and committed. i suggest you look up Stronglifts 5x5, or Wendler 5-3-1 and read over them. but in all honesty if you do not like to lift weights and do it consistently and heavy then it will be difficult to get to a 200lb bench press. just my opinion...
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    If you really want to hit that goal then you'll find a way to get over your boredom I'm sure. Most people lift (averaging) three days a week but this is overall lifting which I highly suggest you do NOT just bench press.

When you run you can still work out your arms. Do Push ups at certain distance intervals off the ground, do plyo- pushups, decline, incline. If you want to hit that you should pry get on an upper body program and you do not have to only bench press - multiple lifts will increase your overall power. don't bro out too hard!
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    How much lifting did you do to get to 120? You don't have to spend a ton of time in the gym to get your bench up. A simple program of 3 sets of 3 two days a week is quick and can get you pretty far (I would throw in an additional set of 8-12 after the 3x3 though if you've got the time). Supplement that with some kind of upper back lift (rows, pullups, or similar) to help keep your shoulders healthy and you can get away with just 20 minutes twice a week. Without seeing what you've done before I can't suggest specific weights but I like to cycle up for 3 weeks, back off 1 and then cycle back up.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    an 80lb gain in a mere few months will be a lofty goal if you are not serious and committed. i suggest you look up Stronglifts 5x5, or Wendler 5-3-1 and read over them. but in all honesty if you do not like to lift weights and do it consistently and heavy then it will be difficult to get to a 200lb bench press. just my opinion...

This. You also need to get over (if you are doing it) the carb heavy diet that many runners focus on and make sure you are downing the protein. You will also very likely need to gain some weight to do this.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    You want a full body strength routine or just a routine that will increase your bench? You could try Smolov Jr. I added 30lbs in one month on my bench using that. Of course, if you overestimate your 1 rep max you will suffer, fail, and possibly get injured.

You'll need a calorie surplus, enough protein, and adding creatine monohydrate will help with some strength.

Of course, the full body strength programs such as Stronglifts, Starting Strength, or 5/3/1 (beginners program) are recommended to prevent muscle and strength imbalances in body parts.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    I am a runner, but I really want to be able to bench press 200 pounds. I have made a goal to bench 200 by the end of July. Currently I can lift 120.

The problem is, I absolutely HATE weight lifting. I think it is really boring, and it is just no fun being in a gym. I'd much rather be outside running.

What is the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM lifting I can do in order to reach my goal? Do you think there is something I could be doing during my runs that would help?

A friend of mine is doing the same thing and I really want to be able to join him in July.

Why is a 200 lb bench an important goal to you if you hate lifting?

Tren and dbol would probably cut down on required gym time.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Do a compound lifting routine 3x a week and eat like a bodybuilder, high carb high protein. Do squats, deadlifts and bench. If you want to get your bench up you must bench. You must also get good at squats and deadlifting. Your whole body is involved in an effective bench and squats and deadlifting work your whole body.

Also make sure your posture isn't messed up as it will hold you back. If it is, start doing posture correcting stretches and exercises right now.

I went from a 90lb bench to a 250lb bench in 15 months. I can do 225 for sets of 4. Your timeframe is aggressive but at least you could get closer.

Your best bet is to follow StrongLifts 5x5 and do it religiously. Follow it exactly as it will attempt to add 20-25lbs to your bench per month.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Why is a 200 lb bench an important goal to you if you hate lifting?

I was wondering the same thing myself. What are you gonna do after you bench 200? Weird.

120 to 200 in the space of 5 months is pretty optimistic, that's almost 5lbs a week. If you're a good sized guy and on a caloric surplus with a good program that you follow consistently, it can probably be done. Something like Madcow would probably be perfect where you bench twice a week (once for 3 reps, once for 5 reps) and you add 5lbs every week.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    If I said "I'm a heavy lifter, I hate running, but I want to run 10km in July. I can currently run 5kms"

What would your advice be?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Oops..nvm.. >.>
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Oops..nvm.. >.>

*zips mouth*

I'll never tell. It's between you and me.
  • GymTennis
    GymTennis Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yeah, run to the gym and do some bench pressing
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    If you hate weight lifting, why set a big weight lifting goal...? And just the one lift?
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Oops..nvm.. >.>

*zips mouth*

I'll never tell. It's between you and me.

:laugh: :tongue: :flowerforyou:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    if you do not like to lift, why do you want to bench 200?

stick to what you love, which is running...
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    Options
    I agree with the others. If you hate lifting, start with a different goal. Also, why just the bench goal? You want to add some lower body lifts in there or you'll end up unbalanced.

every-day-is-upper-body-day.jpeg
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    When you run you can still work out your arms. Do Push ups at certain distance intervals off the ground, do plyo- pushups, decline, incline. If you want to hit that you should pry get on an upper body program and you do not have to only bench press - multiple lifts will increase your overall power. don't bro out too hard!

The problem is, when I do a lot of push ups, it really hurts in my arms and shoulders. I don't like that! I'm much more comfortable just running.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    If I said "I'm a heavy lifter, I hate running, but I want to run 10km in July. I can currently run 5kms"

What would your advice be?

I would say you need to run a lot. But I really want to bench 200 pounds. I'm not sure I understand how this is relevant.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

The problem is, when I do a lot of push ups, it really hurts in my arms and shoulders. I don't like that! I'm much more comfortable just running.

then just run ….do what you love, not what you hate...
  • PikaKnight
    Options

More than likely, it's because the muscles there aren't being used regularly and haven't built up the strength. If that is going to be a problem, I think benching is going to prove to be as much of a challenge.

If you are more comfortable with running and just don't like strength training (whether with weights or not)..then why are you trying to do a 200lb bench?