Has Sushi been given a bad name?

Options
So people have always told me that sushi is to be avoided on a regular basis if you care about controlling your weight. Yet, I don't understand why. Besides the high sodium content, its relatively healthy. A typical Tuna Maki has about 60 calories a piece. I can go out order about 4 tuna Maki, maybe some squid nagri and some other types and create a good satisfying meal for about 600 calories. Most importantly, I can create a varied dish which is great for keeping my diet interesting. In fact, the way Sushi is eaten in a controlled and minimal manner surely even lends itself to not encouraging over consumption.

Can I therefore get some sushi love?

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Sushi is delicious and wonderful. However, I think a lot of the bad reputation comes from the extremely Americanized sushi that involves fried food and tons of mayo-based sauce.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    No... no love for sushi. It's yucky!

But I agree -- I think the hate is from the americanized versions.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I assume it would be hard to fit much of it into a lot of peoples macros because of all the rice. But, if it fits, have at it, nothing wrong with it imo.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I have never heard it was unhealthy? Either way, I eat it all the time and love it.
  • xscat
    xscat Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Sushi is delicious and wonderful. However, I think a lot of the bad reputation comes from the extremely Americanized sushi that involves fried food and tons of mayo-based sauce.

THIS

Japanese cuisine is considered one of the world healthiest... And yeah sushi stuffed with fried thingies and topped with spicy mayo still gives me the urge to shout "NO!!! THAT IS NOT SUSHI!!!!!! YOU ARE RUINING IT!!!!" lol
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Who are these people? I have always considered sushi pretty healthy. But, my caloric needs are higher than some of the "1200ers" here.
  • sad_kitty
    sad_kitty Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I love sushi, maki and sashimi. I think it just comes down to what type of maki rolls you're talking about, and taking into consideration how much rice you will be eating and what else you're consuming as part of your meal. A regular negi toro roll is certainly healthier and has fewer calories than a deep fried one, even though both can be delicious. Now that I'm aiming for around 1200 calories, I can see myself swapping out a lot of my beloved rolls for sashimi, tataki and various Japanese salads.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Depends what's in it Nd how much you eat.

The raw fish bit is great nutritionally, and low calorie.

The rice bit will push calories and carbs up.

Once you add in Americanises like cream cheese, avocado And fried stuff..... You really have to be vigilNt over what you're eating.
  • cassylee
    cassylee Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I really like Sushi but -

1) I only eat the raw kind - not fried; and

2) I have heard that the rice has been mixed with mayonaise and sugar but whether it is true or not.

: )
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Another thing I've noticed...some people order a LOT of sushi. Like 4-5 rolls per person. Even when I used to get the Americanized stuff like shrimp tempura, I typically ate one roll and MAYBE sampled a friend's. For me though that's mainly because I am cheap. I am not spending $50 on sushi just for myself.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I loooovvvvveeeeeeee sushl Americanized Non-Americanized! I dont care. I just fit it in my daily calorie count.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    At our sushi place they use mayonaise on their gloves so the rice doesn't stick to their gloves when they're making it. That's all.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    In because it's awesome!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    So people have always told me that sushi is to be avoided on a regular basis if you care about controlling your weight.

Right.

Because Japan is littered with overweight people, and not size 00 cuties in short skirts and knee high socks.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    You could say the same thing about Chinese food. Authentic Chinese food is super yummy and low on calories (tripe soup, anyone?). Most real Chinese food isn't deep fried and covered in batter. That's the American type. It's the exact same situation as you're talking about with the Japanese food.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    In because I *love* sushi. I can make it fit in my calories if I want, but I usually have it as a treat and enjoy it, because it's sushi and it's awesome.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    For me, it's the rice and the fact that the sushi places around here make their nigiri with half again as much rice as they would in Japan. I don't really like sashimi - I want some rice with my fish. I'll pick chirashi if it's offered. Around here, it's usually not.

I still fit sushi in because I love it. It's still good for me, just more calorie-dense per piece than I would prefer.
  • rachrach7595
    rachrach7595 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    The over generated disgusting rolls you see on every single corner nowadays are disgusting. They are not fresh, they kept in less than ideal conditions for long periods of time and I wouldn't feed them to my cat.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    it's definitely my cheat meal...and I go totally Western on it with a Dynamite Roll and a Vegetable Dragon Roll...and all the pickled ginger they'll give me :love:
  • TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    The only unhealthy thing about your 'proper' sushi would be the unusually high sodium content - especially if you have soy sauce with it, because that's lethal. Actually, apart from the soy sauce, I'm not sure why they are as high in sodium as they are, to be honest...