Any raw vegans/ 801010'ers?

Options
13»

Replies

• RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

No, it's not. Extensive monoculture of soy and wheat and corn isn't very environmentally friendly. Animal welfare issues are easily solved by eating locally produced meat that one visits on the very farms they're raised on. That's something I do personally every time I purchase my eggs or meat.

Over 60% of the grain grown is to feed livestock for slaughter. It takes 10x more energy to produce meat products.

As far as animal welfare, I believe in animal liberation. I don't believe we have the right of "ownership" over other animals. That's why veganISM is important to me.

I don't eat grain-fed animals. Your argument doesn't work with my particular omnivorous diet. Since you've a strong belief in animal liberation, then we will not agree on much of anything so any further conversation is pointless.

Grain fed or grass fed. The amount of animals raised for slaughter still uses more energy.

Not sure what you expect coming into a vegan thread arguing about veganism. Anyways, I feel bad co-opting the thread. Feel free to message me if you want to continue the discussion.

False. A cow eating grass on someone's small farm does not use more energy than tilling a huge field of some crop for human consumption. I don't feel bad for responding to a moral absolutist statement.

In any case, I am finished as well. No need to continue.

I think you're forgetting about the gigantic demand for meat.

Also emissions. Grass fed cattle produce 4x the methane of grain-fed cattle.

Seriously, feel free to message me.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,016 Member
    Options

No, it's not. Extensive monoculture of soy and wheat and corn isn't very environmentally friendly. Animal welfare issues are easily solved by eating locally produced meat that one visits on the very farms they're raised on. That's something I do personally every time I purchase my eggs or meat.

Over 60% of the grain grown is to feed livestock for slaughter. It takes 10x more energy to produce meat products.

As far as animal welfare, I believe in animal liberation. I don't believe we have the right of "ownership" over other animals. That's why veganISM is important to me.

I don't eat grain-fed animals. Your argument doesn't work with my particular omnivorous diet. Since you've a strong belief in animal liberation, then we will not agree on much of anything so any further conversation is pointless.

Grain fed or grass fed. The amount of animals raised for slaughter still uses more energy.

Not sure what you expect coming into a vegan thread arguing about veganism. Anyways, I feel bad co-opting the thread. Feel free to message me if you want to continue the discussion.

False. A cow eating grass on someone's small farm does not use more energy than tilling a huge field of some crop for human consumption. I don't feel bad for responding to a moral absolutist statement.

In any case, I am finished as well. No need to continue.

I think you're forgetting about the gigantic demand for meat and the amount of greenhouse gas emissions animals produce, especially cows. Spreading them out on more land doesn't change that.
    Methane represents 2% to global warming and melting icebergs give off most of that methane but vegans like to blame it on cows. Fuels account for half of all corn production....do you drive to get your vegetables or use any type of transportantion......this leads to the direct devastation of animal habit and the shrinking of estuaries around the world.....won't even get into the devastation in rain forests for palm and the encroachment upon animal ecosystems........buy locally from farmers that support sustainable farming.....which includes crop rotation and lets not forget sheep ****. :happy:
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I would hope that vegans take a holistic approach to anti-oppression, i.e. human/animal/environmental rights & liberation. Of course, most people just see it as a diet and not an anti-oppression lifestyle. Veganism isn't the fix to all environmental problems, but it sure is a huge part of it. Any way you slice it the livestock industry, including grasslands cattle have a huge environmental impact. A plant-based diet is a good individual choice but without also fighting for justice, health and freedom for all beings it's useless.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    If you have a history with eating disorders - adopting a very restrictive diet is not healthy. Please speak to your Doctor or Counselor before you relapse.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Im also 80/10/10 and high raw :D
    although i rarely log food i still like talking to people and so on :D
    Would love to have similar friends!
  • PhiloPray
    PhiloPray Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    what is 80/10/10?
  • HoneydewLou
    Options
    I am 80/10/10 raw til 4 :)
  • misselemental
    misselemental Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Raw Till 4 since April 2013 however I was deep into an eating disorder at that point so did the lifestyle, but heavily restricted. I've been doing RT4 the correct way for 41 days now and went from a severely underweight BMI to almost a healthy one.

Feel free to add me as a friend so you can see my daily intake. I eat 3K+ calories a day and follow more a 90/5/5 lifestyle. Raw till 4/811/955 isn't about restriction, it is about abundance, Eating as much fruit, veggies, and root carbs as you care for.

Love this lifestyle and definitely will be able to sustain it for the rest of my life!