My FIRST 5k!! HELP!

I signed up for my first 5k yesterday, its the glo run in nashville. I have until July 12 to get ready for this run, however... I have never ran a 5k... I can barely do a mile! I have downloaded the couch to 5k app to help me out but I feel like there is probably something else I could do to help me strengthen my legs, maybe help me breathe better, or foods I should stay away from??
So MFP, what are your tips for beginners wanting to do a 5k?

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    1) Line up at the back of the pack
    2) Pin your number on your front
    3) Have fun!

You have plenty of time to train.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    The best way to get strength and fitness for running is to run. Use the C25K if you want but you need to really be able to walk briskly for 30 minutes as a good base before starting
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    I signed up for my first 5k yesterday, its the glo run in nashville. I have until July 12 to get ready for this run, however... I have never ran a 5k... I can barely do a mile! I have downloaded the couch to 5k app to help me out but I feel like there is probably something else I could do to help me strengthen my legs, maybe help me breathe better, or foods I should stay away from??
    So MFP, what are your tips for beginners wanting to do a 5k?

If you can run a mile, you're ahead of the game. You have plenty of time to train. AC25k should be easy for you. They usually start with way less than running a mile. You'll kill it!

In my opinion, the most important thing is to get your training runs in. If you miss a day, try to work it in the next day. Just try not to skip. A 5k isn't so far that you need to do anything special diet wise. At least in my opinion. Make sure you have good running shoes that work for you.

But mostly just have fun! Doing events is awesome. You'll have a blat.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    3) Have fun!

This - have fun you will feel great when you do it!
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Make sure you have proper foot wear. This includes socks!! I learned that the hard blistery way!
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    C25K is all I did to train for my first race... which was 9 weeks after I started the program. So you have plenty of time.

Breathing IMO is the hardest thing to master. My trick - 3 breaths in through the mouth, 3 breaths out through the mouth. And focus on good posture (don't look down). The rest will fall into place.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    3) Have fun!

great advice....enjoy!
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Slow down. Conquer the distance first (don't worry how long it takes) and then you can look at speed.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Subscribe to runners world. Keep doing what you are doing. You are going to have so much fun and will be so surprised at what you can do!
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    C25K + 2 months + breathing in and out of your mouth + water + motivation is all you need.

Oh and eat something light 1/2 before you leave. :)
  • I love of all the advice, thanks guys!! I think someone should elaborate on the socks?? Smart wool good?
  • TRD66
    TRD66 Posts: 310 Member
    Can't argue with any of the advice here. My first was a 10K about 6 months ago and I took a leisurely 3 1/2 months in training (Could have done it much shorter). When I started, I struggled with a mile and a half.

For socks, just search ebay for blister prevention socks, you'll get plenty of hits. Over a 5K I don't think you'll get too much bother, but it never hurts to be prepared and they're not that expensive. Any good sports shop will also have some.

Enjoy and good luck.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Subscribe to runners world. Keep doing what you are doing. You are going to have so much fun and will be so surprised at what you can do!

The magazine is great...the website and forums will make you not want to run.

Anything Arc has to say about running....you listen...he's pretty damn bad-*kitten*.
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Get in line for the bathroom as soon as you arrive...bring your own TP in case the spool is empty.

Ditto on good socks...I like "Feetures" brand--pricy, but your feet are worth it.

Run for the fun of it...goal for 1st 5K is to finish, vertical & uninjured.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    My tips:
    - good shoes and a good bra really make a difference
    - slow down, I mean, really - slow down! When you are building up your distance you aren't going for speed, that can come later.
    - C25K is great, but don't rush it. You have lots of time, so do your three runs a week plus a few days walking or swimming or strength training or yoga or whatever else you like. A give yourself a rest day too, that's important to prevent you burning out.
    - don't worry about eating or drinking along the way, you probably don't need to for a 5k.
    - find some music you enjoy and use it to pace you as you run. But stay safe, if you are running in a busy area, maybe just use one earpiece or turn it off until you get to a quieter area.
    - run the race course before race day if you can get to it (and do it safely). I found that made me much more relaxed.
    - read the race instructions, make sure you know where you can park or how to get there on public transport and whether there is somewhere to leave your stuff (better still, don't bring stuff!)
    - most of all - enjoy!

PS. Great advice to line up for the loo and to bring your own paper!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Just do a plan of regular running, increasing your distance towards 5k. Start towards the back of the grid on the day and then you have the motivation of more chance of overtaking people
  • PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    You have a good starting point with being able to run a mile. You could probably start the c25K program at one of the later weeks with you activity level. The first 2 weeks or so may not provide much for you.

As already stated, try to slow yourself down when you are doing your training runs. If you find it hard to speak more than 4 or 5 words at a time, you are pushing too hard and need to dial it back. If you can just talk normally, you may want to push a little harder. I have a hard time reigning myself in and have to always keep it in check.

Take a rest day. I fail to do this every now and then and my form suffers, my run feels like crap, and it just makes it no fun. Our bodies do need some time to recover.

There are various running styles/techniques. Find one that you like.

In regards to strength. I found out the hard way strength training is actually important to running. Muscle imbalances can lead to overuse injuries (Weak muscles are compensated by other muscles working harder and pulling on things (knees) in ways which cause pain/tendons inflame.). Squats are great, as are lunges and one legged deadlifts. Properly performed planks and side planks work wonders. Hamstring curls, and calf raises help as well. That's what my personal trainer has me performing on my lower body days. I'm not sure how crucial the upper body workouts are in regards to running.

When you actually run the race, keep your pace in check. It's easy to get wrapped up in trying to stay caught up with other, but make the run about you performing the best run you can do. The people out front have probably been training for a very long time and their pace is jaw dropping (5:00-6:30 min miles).

With you having ~ 5 months to train for this, you will be in a great position. If you complete the 5k program, I'd suggest moving to a novice 10K program and start at the appropriate place. Increasing your running base will do wonders in increasing you ability to run faster times on shorter races. You could also go with an intermediate 5k plan which would introduce speed work (Tempo, fartleks, etc.).

Last, and most importantly, enjoy yourself. For me, running provides a great way to release stress and work/think through things in life.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Agree with all of the advice given above. The hardest thing for me was to not dash out with the pack when the start signal was given. Another site that has tons of great running information is http://www.halhigdon.com. There are some great articles out there about integrating exercise with running too. As far as socks go, I like Swiftwick and Feetures, but the shoes are really most important. Put the time and $ into going to a running shoe store preferably one where you can run a little bit in the shoes outside or on a treadmill. If the shoe fits correctly you'll be able to wear any old sock with it!

Just in case you are approached about Natural or minimalist running shoes, start out with a conventional shoe. The difference between Natural and Conventional is basically the heel height on the shoe. When the sales folks tell you about them, you'll hear 'designed to mimic barefoot running'. It sounds good in theory, but if you've never run before you've gotta get your body used to running first. Don't consider moving to a natural or minimalist shoe until you've been running for about 2 years. Most beginning runners are not going to be flexible enough in the ankles and achilles tendons to avoid injury in a minimalist shoe.

Like everyone else said, have fun!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    The 3 for $10 running socks will do. Asics Hydrology socks have kept me blister and callous free in a wide array of conditions. Maybe Smartwools or something for freezing temps. You have plenty of time to sensibly build to 5k, if not a 10k in 5 months. Get some good, fitted shoes and listen to your body. And run slow.
  • katylil
    katylil Posts: 223 Member
    I find my full-body strength training crucial for my running. Getting your core, back, shoulders and bum in shape (as well as your legs obvs) will really help your posture and strengthen all the muscles that help move your body :)

Good luck! I'm doing my first 5k in two weeks and I'm terrified!