How to beat the afterwork lack of motivation

Options
I've been doing pretty good on the breakfast and lunch front, but once I get home from work I'm so exhausted it makes it hard to make the healthy dinner choice. Anybody have any suggestions or particular recipes on how to keep going on a healthy streak for dinner?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I cook eggs - scrambled, fried, omelets - a lot. Quick and easy.

Doing prep work on the weekends also is a big help - cut up veggies, cook a bunch of chicken breasts, etc....
  • BeckyD1105
    BeckyD1105 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I make all my meals for the week on the weekend. They are all portioned out so when I come home I just have to warm up. Works great!
  • crash_aly
    Options
    I would add a snack between your lunch and dinner if you are having a hard time with being too hungry when you get home. I generally prefer something higher in protein but I often go to the gym right after work. Usually 100-150 calories will be a big help! Of course everyone is different so you may not need that much or maybe more.
  • Cakewalk25
    Cakewalk25 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I make my meals on Sunday and then freeze them, then take them out to defrost the day before. Or I make something super easy like grilled salmon and asparagus.
  • michael300891
    Options
    I make all my meals for the week on the weekend. They are all portioned out so when I come home I just have to warm up. Works great!

Absolutely this, if your organised enough!

Doctoral Researcher in Exercise Adaptation and Metabolism:

Follow me on Twitter (https://twitter.com/Michael300891)
  • sunnyscs
    sunnyscs Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I hope that I can get organized over the weekend to do this! It definitely sounds like a great solution. Probably will look to get some healthy snacks too for when I get home so that I don't feel like I'm starving. Thanks everyone for the advice!
  • Mojoman02
    Mojoman02 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I always keep easy things to snack on while I put together some dinner.....carrots or dill pickles....keeps me busy and helping the hunger. But if you are STARVING...you do need to eat more in the afternoon...a high protein snack. A hard boiled egg, a cheese stick. Protein keeps me full longest.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I grew up with big family dinners, so I like a really filling meal in the evening. I do everything I can to cut back on my lunch and dinner, so I can enjoy a big meal for dinner. But I still try to make something simple and calorie-conscious. We grill or pan sear meats a lot with fresh herb marinades. They're quick and easy. Then I add a simple side like pasta with pesto or instant mashed potatoes. I'll either steam or sautee some veggies, and dinner is done.

Or for those nights (like tonight) when I don't have any energy left, I just fix a Bertolli bag dinner for 2 and some garlic bread. Yummy!
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on this one!
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of planning ahead. My slow cooker is one of my best investments. Recently I've made chili, spaghetti sauce, lasagna and curries. On nights where I want something different or don't have any meals left, I do pretty simple things...scrambled eggs with a baked sweet potato, steak with veggies or a stirfry.
  • sjdavis15
    sjdavis15 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I cook quinoa, lentils, and sweet potatoes on the weekend, and often a pot of chicken soup. I also make undressed salads that last for 2-3 days at a time so you can eat them whenever you need to. These all work as sides or lunches all week. I also love the crock-pot. Dinner is ready when you walk in the door and are starving (especially if you just heat up a pre-cooked side from your fridge); if you need to make some pasta or rice, dinner is only 20 minutes away.