Has Sushi been given a bad name?

Options

Replies

• katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    hey does anyone have a good go to for wasabi at home the stuff I buy is never hot like in the restaurant...and I want to cry when eating sushi

Sushi Sonic- freeze dried wasabi powder. It's really excellent!
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    sashimi, spicy tuna roll, and a side of wasabi so I can burn my face off....yes please.
  • I had sushi today ironically! It totally rocks and I guess I like having it as a "cheat meal" because it is beyond good but I guess if you get a a basic roll and avoid soy sauce you should be good!
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I think it's because people equate sushi with the rolls? Are rolls really considered "sushi"?

Heck, the rolls are tastey. Especially the fried ones with cream cheese.

When I think of sushi, think raw fish on top of rice.

I prefer sashimi.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I think it's because people equate sushi with the rolls? Are rolls really considered "sushi"?

I prefer sashimi.

Sushi is anything that involves the vinegared rice. So nigiri is sushi, sashimi is sashimi. Then you have the maki, which are the rolls. Then you have barai, chirashi, chakin, tazuna and temaki. Tazuna is the kind we see most common, the one with rice on the outside, and the slices of fish added on top. Temaki is a hand roll.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Ive become addicted to sushi.

The problem is finding good sushi places. After having good sushi I cannot go to adequate places.

However I am not a fish lover so I eat the rolls (California and dynamite) and refuse sashimi and nigiri.

We had sushi on Sunday and fed 4 adults and 2 children for $50. Cheapest meal out.
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I recently just started making my own sushi because it's cheaper and I know exactly what's in it.
    But, I definitely would not say no to a good sushi restaurant here and there. If you are counting calories, just make it fit.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    So people have always told me that sushi is to be avoided on a regular basis if you care about controlling your weight.

Right.

Because Japan is littered with overweight people, and not size 00 cuties in short skirts and knee high socks.

Yea, but in Japan, Sushi is what Americans call Sashimi. They don't have the rolls and what not stuffed with other stuff. That's what I have always heard.

I love all sushi though. Americanized or not. Yum!

Not quite … sushi is the way of preparing it. Sashimi is the pieces of raw fish, and nigiri is the sashimi on rice (which has been mixed with rice vinegar to help it stick) sometimes with seaweed wrap. They do have some traditional long rolls as well … for example, the cucumber is one you'll find in Japan, in their traditional restaurants/sushi bars. Some places in Japan also will serve fusion rolls, but we see a lot more of those in the U.S. (The word "sushi" literally translates to "it's sour" I believe)

Sushi can be both good and bad. I love nigiri (… did you know some traditional nigiri's don't even have fish on them? The ginger bread one is an example) but I also love the fusion rolls. The good is the fish and the vegetables. Even the avocado is good for you (healthy fats!). The not so great is definitely the deep fried ones (tempura fried) and sometimes the cream cheese and sauces. The rice probably falls somewhere in the middle - carbs aren't evil, but it's hard to have moderation when they use so much. That's why I don't eat it very often; when I do, I usually go to an all-you-can-eat place here that's really good, eat my fill, and count it as a cheat day (and since I usually go for lunch, I am full the rest of the day and don't eat much dinner)
  • blackkappi
    blackkappi Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I recently just started making my own sushi because it's cheaper and I know exactly what's in it.
    But, I definitely would not say no to a good sushi restaurant here and there. If you are counting calories, just make it fit.

I'm also making my own now (most of the time).that way I can control the amount of rice. And wayyyyy cheaper :)
  • mathjulz
    Options

I prefer sashimi.

Sushi is anything that involves the vinegared rice. So nigiri is sushi, sashimi is sashimi. Then you have the maki, which are the rolls. Then you have barai, chirashi, chakin, tazuna and temaki. Tazuna is the kind we see most common, the one with rice on the outside, and the slices of fish added on top. Temaki is a hand roll.

^^ I think you gave a better description than I did. Read this, skip mine :laugh:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I LMAO when I went to Melbourne recently and they were advertising low GI brown rice sushi.

Asked my Japanese friends if they have ever seen brown rice sushi. "mazui dai yo!" Was the response. (yucky)

I agree.

p.s I'm going to my Japanese friend's house for dinner tonight. (practicing my Japanese for upcoming holiday) You can bet your *kitten* I'm going to be eating loads of sushi over there :happy:
  • mathjulz
    Options

I'm also making my own now (most of the time).that way I can control the amount of rice. And wayyyyy cheaper :)

I've been trying to make my own. Just recently got some rice vinegar to try again. But i'm still on just the vegetable rolls … You have to buy sashimi grade fish and I don't know where around here would have it for inexpensive enough to not just go up the street to my favorite restaurant.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    So the consensus is eat good sushi! I personally don't mind a cali roll but tend to prefer the simple raw fish variants. I guess a lot of it is people get carried away. I've seen people put away platters of Phili rolls and I just think 'damn, where do you put it?!' I say that not to judge but because I actually find sushi very satiating. I don't think i could ever devour a platter myself.

You sound like a moderate eater! Are you here on MFP to count cals for a bulk?

Sushi is a favourite of mine, I ask them to hold the mayo, get a seaweed salad and a miso soup and I stay within my cal goals easily, with a good lot of protein! I'm going to learn how to make it one of these days.

Isn't it funny how wonderful food gets slated because ...overeating, someone trying to make money out of a book, etc
  • Springfield1970
    Options

It all depends on what you're getting and portion size.

Heehee, yes but what about the sushi?
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    I always considered sushi to be low-calorie. I mean, just look at places like Itsu. They've built their reputation around selling low-calorie food ('eat beautiful') and they're primarily a sushi place.

My heaven. Do you know that one hour before closing time they sell everything dirt cheap? My studio is just around the corner from the soho one and it's just pure joy.
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    I had sushi today ironically! It totally rocks and I guess I like having it as a "cheat meal" because it is beyond good but I guess if you get a a basic roll and avoid soy sauce you should be good!

Athletes need sodium. OP looks like he works out a lot.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    American sushi has deep fried stuff in it? Can't decide if that sounds nice or gross
  • Aeramis13
    Aeramis13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    i personally eat sushi once every week or 2 and I make it fit into my calories/macros for the day...luckily i'm super boring and hate rolls with random things inside - that's where the calories come quickly. i prefer nigiri (just fish) sometimes with the sticky rice below it (delicious!)...even if you include the ride and fish chunks, it s quite low in calories...enjoy!
  • foxytrotter82
    foxytrotter82 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I make my own vegetarian sushi at home, sometimes with smoked salmon( but high in sodium) , with brown rice and less mayo It's super easy after a few practice runs. Sometimes I make a sushi bowl instead, so i can have more veggies, and top it with ahi tuna.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I haven't found a sushi I didn't like. I eat it all.