Is this normal?

Options
Female
20yrs
180 pounds
5'8

Hey guys, I've been tracking my diet and jogging 5 times a week. I stay at a 1300 calorie intake a day and I do eat back the calories from working out.

I've done this for 10 days and I havn't lost not one pound... It's a bit discouraging. Does it normally take this long before I start seeing any results? I wasn't expecting anything big, 1-2 pounds a week at most, but nothing in 10 days? Is that normal?

My diary is open if you want to take a peek.

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Some people find it can take a while before they start seeing any weight come off. Also, how often are you weighing? We all fluctuate everyday, so if you're weighing once a week you might be weighing on days that you're fluctuating and not see the weight loss that you've actually got.

I'd say stick at it for maybe a couple more weeks and see if there are any changes. Also make sure to take measurements and progress pictures - there are threads here all the time about people losing inches but not weight, so that might be happening to you.
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    How much do you burn?
  • errorist
    errorist Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    It looks to me as though you're logging fairly accurately. Are you weighing your food and finding accurate entries in the database / adding your own recipes when you need to? Your calorie target seems to be appropriate (although I haven't worked it out). You have a decent amount of weight to lose, so if you stick to those numbers it will come off. My advice is to give it another 10 days, and in the meantime, be as accurate with your logging as you can be.
  • lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Consistency is key. I had a look at your diary and it appears that you dont eat near 1300 kcals each day. Make sure you do!

secondly, eat small and often to fuel metabolism.

Log the caloires you burn through exercise so you can see the deficit.

Start weight training, muscles burn more kcals at rest than fatty tissue.

Do 2 x HIIT sessions a week for 30 minutes.
  • lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    BTW, i calculated the calories you should be eating to loose weight and you should be eating 1571 for aggresive fat loss ( this is if you were to do no exercise at all) http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    weight yourself only once a week, same time, first thing in the morning, after a pee, naked. Will be about as accurate as you can make it. Also, taking into account other variables from the day before, like sodium and things like that. Your weight can fluctuate anymore from 1-5 lbs.

I agree with other posters that resistance training is very good . Also, taking measurements. the scale doesn't always tell the whole story.
  • siinahei
    Options
    Dear AutumnPhade,

I would start with a question - how much water do you drink per day? Make sure you drink enough, 2 litres a day and water during exercise is not counted in. That's my best advice.
    Also, I know it can be difficult but try and keep out from the kitchen after 8pm. I personally try and make sure there is 11-12 hours between dinner and breakfast. They say your body needs this time to be able to rest properly. I often get people telling me that I'm wrong but when it comes to my experience - scales tells me I'm not! I recommend at least giving it a go. Good luck and don't give up! :)
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    You seem to log quite consistently but your intake is pretty low to be honest. I have done a really quick calculation (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/) and your BMR is 1657 (based on your age, height and weight). Therefore, you should not be eating below 1657 on any given day. You should input this amount into MFP and log all food and exercise. It is hard to believe if you eat more you will lose weight but it's true - obviously within reason!

Based on the above your TDEE is 2568. In order to lose weight you should reduce this amount to meet your goal. Remember, to lose 1lb of fat per week, you need a weekly calorie deficit of 3500kcal (500kcal per day). So in your case, to lose a lb a week you should be eating around 2068kcal (you can adjust this based on your overall goal, e.g 2lb a week = 1568kcals (TDEE - 1000kcal), 0.5lb a week = 2318 (TDEE - 250kcal). As a guide, if you want to lose less than 10lbs in total, try to aim for 0.5lb loss a week, if its 25lbs+ go for around 1.5-2lbs a week. This method takes into account calories burned so if you want to use this method, you would input your calorie goal (TDEE - X kcal depending on your goal) into MFP but NOT log exercise, as TDEE takes into account lifestyle and exercise. I use this method as I do a variety of exercise and don't trust the calories MFP says I have burned. If you do not want to use this method, simply input your BMR value into MFP and continue to log all food and exercise as you were doing.

One more thing - you must weigh every item of food wherever possible. Do not guestimate as the eyes do deceive!

Feel free to send me a FR :)
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    First...I am with some of the other posters in asking do you weigh your food or are you using measuring spoons and cups? Spoons and cups can be less accurate causing you to be eating slightly more than you think. Just a suggestion if you are not already, food scales are great little devices.

Your body could be retaining a little excess water if the jogging is new, hiding the lose you have had so far.

Weight loss is not linear...not the same for everyone...and completely unpredictable. I mean, if you eat at a deficit, YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT....how much how fast will be different for everyone. For example, I have had weeks where I was way over in my calories all week long and dropped 2 lbs and then weeks where I just wasn't hungry and lost nothing.

Finally, I am going to leave you with do not get discouraged but if you do...don't let it defeat you. Weight loss takes time and patience. You didn't gain overnight and you won't lose overnight. It is about learning. Researching TDEE and BMR. Don't torture yourself to make the weight come off faster. Good luck!
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    It took me a month to drop any weight when I started clean eating.