Does this happen to anyone else?

Options
Yesterday I decided to bump up all of my numbers e.g., calories, carbs, fats, sugars, protein...

Background is I know I am not eating enough calories throughout the day and even though I feel really, really good on a super low calorie target eating mainly meats and veggies I wanted to see what would happen.

Now... I know I won't see results in only one day but I have to comment on a few things.

One, even consuming up to 1242 calories which is still low but high for me (baby steps) was way too much food.

By the end of the day I was sick to my stomach and am still feeling quite ill this morning. I don't know if my body is just not used to the amount of food that I ate or if I am just experiencing some kind of carb intollerance, or is that a myth? Also I woke up with a screaming headache.. could this have to do with the sugars or wheat products that I consumed? I always hear and read about how if you don't eat red meat that eventually your body just doesn't know how to digest it or deal with it... could it be something like that?

All I know is I feel yukky and am glad it's a new day... veggies, water and proteins for me all day long today.

I know I'll feel back to normal within a few hours but I never want to experience this again! I think my biggest mistake was by trying to bump up my calories I probably just ate a lot of the wrong things but as you know, it's hard to get the calories with just veggies and protein. I also ate items like rice and breads which I usually never eat and thinking about it now makes me sick to my stomach ugh!

Last night all I could think about was "What have I done to my body and how could I treat it so badly!" I really threw my system into confusion mode yesterday. The good news is that I probably confused my metabolism enough that I ramped it back up so it should result in a pound or so loss over the next day or two. The bad news is that by doing this it ultimately made me feel like crap which in turn caused me to set my numbers back down again.

Has this ever happened to you and if so how did you deal with it?

Replies

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Don't know; any possibility it could just be chance? I.e., you didn't feel well for some other reason?
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Wow no this has never happened to me. The only thing that I've noticed is that after a few days of upping my calories (I started at 1100 a day and have moved it up to 1300 as I get closer to my goal. Plan on 1450 this week) I started getting hungry again. My body had adjusted so well to 1100 a day that I was never hungry. Now I can hardly get satisfied lol!

Bump!
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

There isn't anything wrong with me otherwise in fact I did both of my workouts yesterday. The morning one was excellent and fueled properly like always but the evening one was awful. Too much food in my system, felt very carb heavy and kind of tanked in my dance class.

It's funny you mentioned feeling hungry again. Even on 1000 calories a day I feel hungry... not crazy hungry like I'm not eating enough just regular hungry about every two hours. Normally I eat about every two hours throughout the day on very healthy foods and the very infrequent times I have eaten a lot of carbs or breads, etc. I get into that vicious cycle of "I ate carbs, spiked, got hungry and craved more carbs, ate more carbs, spiked, got hungry and craved more carbs and on and on". I hate that feeling!

Maybe as you mentioned my body has just adjusted well to the calorie range and it's just not used to going over and above. Like I said, it just didn't know what to do with all of the extra food... yuk!
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you know this, but doing two workouts a day on 1000 calories is not smart.

You need to really work on increasing your calorie intake, you will still lose weight with that amount of exercise eating a few hundred calories per day more. Your profile says you are trying to lose 10lb, which should require quite a small calorie deficit and not anything anywere so drastic as 1000 net calories a day.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Sigh. facepalm.gif
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you know this, but doing two workouts a day on 1000 calories is not smart.

QFT
  • mathbug77
    Options
    This exact same thing has happened to me. Like you, I eat a low carb diet. I find that when I splurge and have too many carbs at one sitting (bread at an italian restaurant) I feel bloated and really sick to my stomach. I've always thought it is because it is too much for my body to process at once, but I'm sure there is something more scientific to explain it.

I promise not to berate you on eating too few calories since I'm sure others will do that, but I will suggest that you try to find a good low carb protein bar (Atkins, Carb Counter, etc) to help increase your calories without making you feel sick.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    You know how your profile says you never realised you were a fitness junkie....well you wont be for long if you continue with such a low cal diet. If you are seriously struggling with eating 1000 cals a day, I think its time to see a professional.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food? Maybe you're actually eating more and that's why you're so full.
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I ate loads of carbs and had serious bloating. If you want to lose those last 8 pounds - unless you are a midget I'd advise that you bump up your calories and eat more protein. When you have such a low daily allowance you should be getting more protein in as its much more satiating than carbs.

ETA: I just looked at your food diary and have noticed that for the past two days you have been seriously under your protein macros. Guess what? You're going to lose weight! And guess what else? It's mostly going to be muscle. And guess what? You are going to gain fat when you start to eat normally again.

Up your food intake, up your protein intake and hit that macro.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat the amount of carbs you did yesterday I would say that's why you felt the way you did - I usually eat whole wheat pastas and if I eat white pasta it sits in my stomach like a big lump

I would do as fairygirlpie says and up the protein and that's not so difficult to - its an easy macro to increase
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Yes I know that. I am working on changing those numbers. I just haven't really updated the numbers on the system yet. I am doing some research, etc. to find something suitable... Thanks!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    dafuq
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am working to increase my calories :)

I always thought there must be something more to it as well. I read somewhere that folks can develop a carb intollerance? I am not sure if that's true or not and there is a lot of conflicting information.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Everyone... for the record, yes I know I am eating too few calories and yes I know I need to increase my protein. I am transitioning to that now but... baby steps please :smile:

Thanks for the suggestions, comments and advice. It all helps, truly!
    Even though I know I need to increase my calories, etc. it helps to be reminded too.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Exactly... felt like cement in my stomach!
    That is my plan, to up my calories / protein.
    I have no problem with the protein normally, I am a meat eater (except for red meat), I pretty much normally live on chicken, fish, turkey, yogurt, veggies.

I ate peanut butter yesterday... what was I thinking! :sick:
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Yup, I weigh my food and I am also working on being more accurate about that. I realized that I wasn't getting the right numbers on some of my foods. Thanks!
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    Maybe you are developing an eating disorder and some of these symptoms are psychosomatic.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Maybe you are developing an eating disorder and some of these symptoms are psychosomatic.

Oh no! I hope that is not the case. I am not an eating disorder type of person but I did read about something, forget what it's called, where folks avoid certain foods and it's a psychological thing. I do that sometimes but mainly because I don't like the food item or how it makes me feel. Like pizza for example. People love pizza but I have never been one of those people. Even as a kid when the family had pizza night I always opted for a salad or sandwich...

Not to be gross but my bathroom issues aren't psychosomatic, trust me! haha :blushing:
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Check the sodium intake. Sometimes when I go over in calories, I go over in sodium also which can cause a headache in the morning. especially if you have had prior blood pressure issues.