brussels sprouts

Options
abyt42
abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
I love this much maligned vegetable....I like them steamed, steamed with stone ground mustard, dumped in a stew... but my new favorite:

Trim the sprouts, lightly grease with olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper. Bake at 400 F until the outer leaves are crispy and browned. (40+ minutes).Great hot, great cold....

Replies

• msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    YUM!!! :bigsmile:
    So trying that!
  • kyasarin381
    Options
    I have got to try that! I have never had brussel sprouts and that sounds like the best way to start.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I am also a big fan of sprouts. They just finished harvesting them in my town - it smells like serious brussles sprouts in certain areas - and they're selling them by the stalk! I'm going to try your recipe! It sounds awesome.
  • virginiagomes
    virginiagomes Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am trying this too.
  • ElenaRenee
    Options
    I agree! Roasting the little guys until they are nice and brown and crusty are the yummiest way. A little dusting of parmesan, chili flake, and lemon juice is great too!
  • Squash97
    Options
    We love the sprouts as well. We make them steamed, lightly coated in Smart Balance, with salt and pepper. Yum. Gonna have to try your method
  • sempernova
    sempernova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Gotta try this...I love them too!
  • HealthyishWithMaggieG
    Options
    I like them in small quantities. The suggestions from the OP and ElenaRenee both sound really good!
  • gussde
    gussde Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Did it that way for Tgiving! Was so great! Got it from the barefoot Contessa!
  • danarochelle
    danarochelle Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for a couple months and LOVE them this way!!! Best recipe yet for B-Sprouts! :-)
  • MsCyone
    MsCyone Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I love Brussel Sprouts, is this for fresh sprouts only or can frozen be used?
  • princessorchid
    princessorchid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Sauteeing them is nice too. I used to do it with butter but have found it's just as nice with olive oil or rapeseed oil and a bit of salt and chilli flakes.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    scared.gif
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    LOVE brussels sprouts. chiffonade them, saute w/ olive oil and scallions, add some lime juice.

this is the orig. recipe:
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Shredded-Brussels-Sprouts-and-Scallions-11807
    i used butter for Thanksgiving, but make this so often that I've switched to olive oil!
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    My favorite veggie, even when I was a kid. My daughter's best friend told her mom "Miss Jan is cooking stinky green balls again". I'm going to try your recipe. THANK YOU.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    A little dusting of parmesan, chili flake, and lemon juice is great too!

yum! i'll bet ANYTHING tastes good prepared like that! :laugh:
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Roasting them and then adding sauted pecan's in a small amount of butter really is a flavor to die for.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    Roasting brussels sprouts is one of my FAVES! Only draw back is that the house smells like a fart while they're in the oven.

Charmagne
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Oh this is by far my favorite way to eat them! Roasting them till they are just a little brown and a little crunchy!!!
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I love Brussel Sprouts, is this for fresh sprouts only or can frozen be used?

I use frozen ones! I get the individual serving steam fresh bags. It probably has 10-12 of the mini brussle sprouts in there. It's the perfect size for me, seeing how my husband refuses to eat them.