Instant Oatmeal!

Options

Replies

• castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Okaay so is instant oatmeal and a banana, orange, or a apple a good healthy breakfast?

If you can eat just that and be satisfied until lunch, it's fine. If you're starving an hour or two later--no, you need something with more fat and protein in it. Regular oatmeal with an egg or some breakfast meat, say, along with a little fruit.
  • mkemmis73
    mkemmis73 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Wow you have lost a lot of weight from your progress chart!! Any secrets??

There is only one real secret, don't ever give up.

If you follow the plan of counting your calories to assure you don’t over eat, and adding some exercise to your routine to get moving a little more, then you will ultimately get to a healthier weight. If you do that and never, no matter what, give up, then I guarantee it will be worth it.

If you have a bad day, you overeat and decide not to exercise, just forget about it and start fresh the next day. Don't let a bad day turn into a bad week, don't ever give up.

Good luck - you can do it!

We need a like button on here!! I love this!!

For me, I love oatmeal, but I'm always super hungry shortly after eating it. If I start my day off with protein I stay full longer, and I don't feel like I'm starving the whole day.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    You can also find lower sugar varieties of instant oatmeal. That was always my choice.

As I type this I'm having a bowl of Lower sugar instant oatmeal. As for protein, yes, as long as you get enough protein you'll be fine. I'm having steak and crab legs for dinner tonight, so I figured I'd be okay with some oatmeal for breakfast today. :bigsmile:

Rigger
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I eat 1 pkg of instant Maple Oatmeal with 4 scoops of PB2 (for protein) 250 calories and 15 grams protein! I will tell you this taste just like a Peanut Butter No-Bake Cookie!!!
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    If you want something sweet, with oatmeal.... just make overnight oats.

- 1 serving oats
    -1 serving protein powder
    - 1/2cup Almond milk (thicker) or water (thinner)
    - a lot of cinnamon (if you like it)
    - little bit of vanilla extract
    - 1 or 2 packets of sweetener

Mix it all up in a bowl, OR an empty peanut butter jar (<--- GODLY). Once it's all mixed up well, cover it and store in fridge overnight. DEVOUR IN THE AM!!!!
  • BeingKevin
    BeingKevin Posts: 109 Member
    Options

As I type this I'm having a bowl of Lower sugar instant oatmeal. As for protein, yes, as long as you get enough protein you'll be fine. I'm having steak and crab legs for dinner tonight, so I figured I'd be okay with some oatmeal for breakfast today. :bigsmile:

Rigger

I agree - you need to get enough protein, I don't really feel it has to come at any given point. I usually get a large part of my protein in the evening. I find it works for me that way, but I am likely in the minority.

You need to find what works best for you and if that is instant oatmeal and a banana then enjoy it. If you find yourself starving before lunch gets here then try adding in some form of protein with breakfast, or as a snack between. The key is really finding a way that works for you and that can be sustainable long term.
  • MissKimi_xoxo
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Here is a GREAT overnight oats recipe I have a made quite a few times:
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/06/skinny-overnight-oats-in-jar.html

Also, here is a good regular oatmeal recipe:
    http://pickyeaterblog.com/chocolate-brownie-oatmeal/ (This site has quite a few oatmeal recipes actually)

Finally, here is a good recipe if you want to add some quinoa into your oatmeal:
    http://thugkitchen.com/post/51561424744/dont-give-me-that-i-dont-eat-breakfast
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Now I'm a big convert to porridge (or oatmeal as you guys over the pond call it!) for breakfast.

So that's what porridge is, American Oatmeal. Now the Goldilocks and the 3 Bears story makes perfect sense.
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I eat 1 pkg of instant Maple Oatmeal with 4 scoops of PB2 (for protein) 250 calories and 15 grams protein! I will tell you this taste just like a Peanut Butter No-Bake Cookie!!!

That sounds so good. those no-bake cookies are delicious. :love:
  • thevoice1973
    thevoice1973 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The naturally occurring sugar in fruit isn't the same as the refined sugar you get from candy or junk food. As long as you're not diabetic, you don't really have to worry about incorporating fruit into your diet a few times a day.

Actually, the sugar in fruit is also sucrose (as someone else as pointed out, it is a disaccharide (fructose/glucose)). It's all well and good to point out the individual quantities of the types of sugars in an item, but for the body, it's all the same. Sure, some fruits have a higher proportion of fructose to glucose, but in essence, it's a moot point. The only issue is for young children, who have a reduced capacity for fructose absorption by the small intestine.

If it's a monosaccharide, it's used as energy directly (meaning without further digestive breakdown) by the cells. Interestingly, fructose absorption by adults is correlated to the specific quantity of glucose absorbed at the same time. Pure fructose is not absorbed as well as when it is part of a disaccharide like sucrose. This is information that is available on Wikipedia, but may require some basic chemistry knowledge to fully understand.

Ultimately, it comes down to realizing that there are no "magic foods" that you can eat without counting as calories.
  • palmerdanielle
    palmerdanielle Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I have instant oatmeal almost daily, I prefer stovetop oatmeal but for time I usually do instant, one suggestion is if you eat more than one packet ( I have 2) consider using either plain oatmeal and adding your own extras, or do one packet that's already flavoured and one plain packet mixed, still get a bit of flavour and sweetness but less sugar and calories. I also add a teaspoon of chia seeds to mine and sometimes fresh berries, yum. I like the protein ideas as well, though personally find protein powder in oatmeal kind of gross :p
  • DeborahBarone2
    Options
    I eat quaker instant oatmeat for weight management. I love it. I put a half a cup of raspberries, blueberries and blackberries on it. My favorite breakfast. 160 calories for the oatmeal. total calories for berries are 104 calories. So a good 264 calories breakfast. I actually could eat this for another meal too.
  • 4realrose8
    4realrose8 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I would use steel cut oats and cook it on the stove with an added egg for protein (makes it custard-like) and a tsp of some kind of fat- coconut oil, half & half, walnut oil, or chopped nuts, etc. You can make is savory with salt, parmesan, herbs, or traditional with cinnamon. No added sugar and if you can handle the carbs, maybe a half serving of fruit.
  • ChangeIsADecision
    ChangeIsADecision Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    bump-a-licious! :happy:
  • bdorri00
    bdorri00 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It is higher in sugar than plain oatmeal but still better than other breakfast foods you might have.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Following for yhe overnight oats recipes.
  • Dreamingallday
    Options
    I stopped eating instant so often as I found I wasn't full long enough. I brought out my crockpot and put in some steel cut oats to cook over night and I get an amazing breakfast all hot and ready when I get up. I add in some apples, cinnamon and something sweet like honey or brown sugar and it has worked much better for me.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Okaay so is instant oatmeal and a banana, orange, or a apple a good healthy breakfast?
    I have heard instant oatmeal isnt good for you and people said that Bananas, oranges, and apples are high in sugars and stuff..
    But arent they good sugars?
    I mean they are fruit so how can they be bad for you?
    HELP MEEEE!! Lol
    it is perfectly fine. I would suggest to add a protein to it like an egg or ham or even beans if you don't eat meat. oatmeal and a protein is a great jumpstart to your day. Don't get too caught up on bad sugars vs good sugars. just limit them and move on. You know what else the fruit has: good carbs and fiber. win win. Count the calories/ log your foods and don't stress too much. We do need some sugars to live and all.Just don't drink fruit juices. Real fruit is always best
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I eat quick oatmeal nearly every morning, not the instant kind. The instant kind breaks down too fast for my body and it has a lot of added sugar. Oatmeal and fruit...yes a healthy breakfast! :)