Are Eggs GOOD or BAD???

Options
2»

Replies

• ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Well I only said I was going to force myself to eat them because im very picky and I wont try things I ate as a kid and hated lol
    But I have been eating Oatmeal for the past week and "Thought I hated it" But its actually really good lol
    You change as you get older so maybe eggs wont be so bad.
    Soooo imma try them!!
    Plus I dont have much to choose from. lol

That makes sense. My husband "always hated eggs" but will eat them the majority of the time I make them. Mind you I have to fry the hell out of it for him to eat it. Or scramble them with so much butter and cheese that they're hardly eggs any more.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Eggs are awesome.

And you should try not to think of food in terms of "good" or "bad", instead think of it as different types of fuel.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Don't force yourself to eat them...but yes, eggs are good. Great source of protein and other nutrients. Eat the whole egg, though, not just the white. Most of the protein is in the white, but most of the other nutrients are in the yolk.
  • deksgrl
    Options

That makes sense. My husband "always hated eggs" but will eat them the majority of the time I make them. Mind you I have to fry the hell out of it for him to eat it. Or scramble them with so much butter and cheese that they're hardly eggs any more.

The nutrition of the eggs is still there, as is the nutritional properties of the butter and cheese. As long as you are within your calorie goals, there is nothing wrong with eating any of those things.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Are they good for a diet or bad!?

Both.

Neither.
  • thevoice1973
    thevoice1973 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Eggs are a quality food fuel, often labelled complete (because of the full complement of amino acids, including the essential aminos, which your body cannot build and must consume from an external source). But there is no such thing as a good or bad food. Even the most harmless substance from a nutritional standpoint (water, for example) can lead to pretty severe health issues if over-consumed (read up on dilution hyponatremia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyponatremia).
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    It depends on who you ask...

Personally, from my research, I think the good outweighs the bad, but with just about anything except maybe a fruit or veggie, moderation is key.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options

The nutrition of the eggs is still there, as is the nutritional properties of the butter and cheese. As long as you are within your calorie goals, there is nothing wrong with eating any of those things.

Who said the nutrition isn't there or that you shouldn't eat them?

I was just jokingly saying was that my husband 'likes eggs now' so long as they don't outright taste/feel like eggs.
  • deksgrl
    Options

Who said the nutrition isn't there or that you shouldn't eat them?

I was just jokingly saying was that my husband 'likes eggs now' so long as they don't outright taste/feel like eggs.

I was just again trying to emphasize to the OP that there isn't "good" or "bad" foods.
  • MizMiami305
    MizMiami305 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I cry a lil when I dont have eggs available.....
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Eggs are good, egg whites are even better though. They have a decent amount of protein without all of the cholesterol and calories or a whole egg.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Eggs are good, egg whites are even better though. They have a decent amount of protein without all of the cholesterol and calories or a whole egg.

Most of the nutrition in an egg is in the yolk, as well as 40% of the protein. The amount of cholesterol is pretty much irrelevant (for most people) as it doesn't raise blood cholesterol significantly. There are only about 75 or 80 calories in a large egg anyway. Not to mention how good the yolk tastes, as long as it isn't overcooked.

Seriously, unless you're bodybuilding and have to eat oodles of protein to hit precise macro ratios--just eat the whole egg and enjoy it.
  • ab_1203
    ab_1203 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Yes they are good, dont believe the nonsense about them rising cholesterol. Ive been eating 5 a day, am losing weight and feel great.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options

Most of the nutrition in an egg is in the yolk, as well as 40% of the protein. The amount of cholesterol is pretty much irrelevant (for most people) as it doesn't raise blood cholesterol significantly. There are only about 75 or 80 calories in a large egg anyway. Not to mention how good the yolk tastes, as long as it isn't overcooked.

Seriously, unless you're bodybuilding and have to eat oodles of protein to hit precise macro ratios--just eat the whole egg and enjoy it.
    A typical egg has about 187 mg of cholesterol, that's actually kind of a lot especially if you eat more than one and eat them often like I do. I generally cook 1 egg and 2 egg whites so I get some flavor.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Oooh, I love eggs - I can FEEL that they are good for me :-) I too used to not like eggs, until I tried a few months ago..!
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    There are so many ways to cook eggs, you might find you like one way.

Try scrambled eggs, mixing egg with other ingredients so the taste is slightly hidden by other things?

Just an option :)

I love eggs!
  • crsawinton
    crsawinton Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I went through a phase where I wasn't crazy about eggs, but I liked them scrambled with a few spoonfuls of salsa, now I have my own chickens (after tasting someone's free ranged eggs) and I love them, but they taste waaaay better than store bought eggs, which I find chalky and flavorless. free range chicken eggs have almost a buttery flavor in my opinion, if you have a source to get some I highly recommend, if not, I suggest something to help with the taste, someone said they love scrambled eggs with cottage cheese, I like them with chives, red pepper flakes, or some mornings I just fry one and sprinkle a little franks's red hot hot sauce on it.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Eggs, especially the yolks, are an excellent source energy and micro nutrients especially choline, folate, and vitamin A. Also, the cholesterol talk is completely bunk. Eggs will help your blood lipid numbers.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Not sure if someone else has said this or not, but try cooking them different ways. They can be poached, fried, hard or soft boiled, omelets, etc.

You may like them cooked some ways, and not others

I don't like hard boiled eggs, but love scrambled eggs, quiches and egg salad.
  • LaurenEllexx
    LaurenEllexx Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Eggs are good but if you don't like them don't eat them