The Shire to Mordor (and back) Fellowship

Options

Replies

• beebeewho
    beebeewho Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I would love to know any guesstimates for how long bilbo's journey took, though for some parts of it they did have horses and ponies.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I don't run much. . Can I count a crossfit class as somewhere between 1 and 3 miles depending on how much sweat is pouring out of me at the end?
  • MissSarahAllison315
    Options
    How 'bout we go to the lonely mountain... . half way there we get to hop in barrells and just float for awhile. . then when we get there we can shoot bows and arrows. .

barrel riding burns how many calories?

Ohhhh the barrel ride could be like an event like a 5K, 10K, or something!!!!
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    How 'bout we go to the lonely mountain... . half way there we get to hop in barrells and just float for awhile. . then when we get there we can shoot bows and arrows. .

barrel riding burns how many calories?

It's not the barrel riding - it's the Orc fighting that burns the calories!

either way I'm in
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    you could transfer the calorie burn into a distance
  • g0at1982
    g0at1982 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I would love to know any guesstimates for how long bilbo's journey took, though for some parts of it they did have horses and ponies.

One of the groups posted above had an estimate... there and back again something like 1950 miles

Created a quick group so people can start adding themselves to the Fellowship:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/19749-the-shire-to-mordor-and-back-a-fellowship
  • Alocin75
    Options
    Awesome idea!! I want to join, too!
  • fitgirlandfoodie
    fitgirlandfoodie Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I finished the Hobbit challenge of Bag End to the Lonely Mountain (900 odd miles) and have just started the Shire to Rivendell part of the LORT challenge - it's a great way to keep yourself motivated :D
  • g0at1982
    g0at1982 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I love the way you guys think!
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    This thread feels like home.
  • PrincessKittenpants
    Options
    SO FUN!
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I just started it the other day! I have no problem returning back to Hobbiton to travel as a Fellowship though - count me in! :)
  • NapsAndNachos
    Options
    How about reporting on a weekly basis and doing a calculation based on that and seeing where we are based on the info from http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/Walk/walk.html

Knowing where we are at after each week would be quite fun.
  • doubleclick_darling
    Options
    There's actually a full website based on this idea (it's known as the Eowyn Challenge). I started this month with just using tracked fitness walking (aka the miles I get when I walk for fitness, not accumulated miles throughout the day). Included is a spreadsheet that allows you to keep track of miles walked (and a team feature that adds together all group miles and ranks members by their distances). I started it this month so I have an actual goal with my walking.

http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    This sounds FABULOUS!!! But I am questioning my ability to get there and back within a year...is there a time limit?

Let me know what I need to do to be added.

THANKS!!!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I'm in but I'm not carrying Frodo!
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    So totally in for this. I agree that a combined effort would be good.
  • MissSarahAllison315
    Options
    I'm in but I'm not carrying Frodo!

You'd leave him behind!?!? *shocked look* Think of the preciousssss.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    totally in! but according to Google one does not simply walk to/into mordor.
  • Bluepopsicle_25
    Bluepopsicle_25 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    This idea is fun :)