How do you weigh yourself?

Options
I've been dieting for almost a month now and every scale I've weighed myself on has told me something different. I even paid in Superdrug to get weighed on their scales and it didn't calculate my weight right at all. (It said I've grown an inch since the previous week).

What brand of scales do you use? Where do you get weighed?
Where can I buy a relatively cheap set of scales?

Thank you!

Replies

• acarmelo1
    acarmelo1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I usually use the same scale on the supermarket that is close to my house. It prints me a ticket, and cost me 0.25.

Edit: You got some amazing eyes.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    Unless you calibrate them every time you use them, they are usually off.

If you use one of the ones like at the doctor's office, they are the best.

I don't really trust home scales, and you have to use them in the exact same spot on the floor every time.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    ...and whichever one you use, if you stick with one scale, at least you know when there are actual changes, and not just scale differences.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Digital scale I bought at Costco years and years ago.

Get up, use the bathroom, wash hands, move scale to same spot on the tile, step on, get the number, step off, go workout. Same thing every day - same scale, same location, nearly the same time & same conditions every day.
  • The_Angry_Fish_Guy
    Options
    Stand on it. Read it. Step off it.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I was about to say the same thing about using the same scales every time. It doesn't matter so much what your weight is when trying to lose, just as long as you know you're losing weight.

Personally I use Tesco Value bathroom scales, the cheapest I could find. They give me pretty much the same reading, maybe 1lb difference, to the expensive super-posh scales my mum has that I use when I'm home from uni.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    As other people said, I just use the same scale every time. If my progress has a mean shift that's fine. The number doesn't matter, just the progress. I'll know when I'm done by the way my muscles look and my clothing fits, not a particular number on the scale.
  • Firekeeper66
    Firekeeper66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE my EatSmart scales - ordered off of Amazon. I bought a pricier one because I wanted more bells & whistles but bought my mom the cheap one and she loves it.
  • Whyareyoumad
    Whyareyoumad Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I picked up one of those Weight Watcher scales at Bed Bath and Beyond, it calculates weight, BMI, BF, and Bone Mass. But I dont think the BF percentages calculate correctly, or at least the one at the gym does it differently so I cant compare. I weight every Saturday morning after I get out of bed.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Agreed with the others. I use a home scale at go off that to determine weight loss. My gym has the kind like the DRs use and it is about 2 lbs different than my home scale. So it's hard to be accurate ... but just use one and that way you will know how much you are losing. They arent going to be off by that much unless they are super old and/or losing battery.
  • czechwolf52
    czechwolf52 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I use a Health O Meter scale that I got from Walmart for about $20 last year. I weigh myself everyday, first thing in the morning, without clothes on and after I use the bathroom. It's worked for me so far. Just pick one scale to use for your measurements and consistently use that. Different scales will give you different numbers, but as long as the numbers are going down that's what counts.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I have a dial scale that I calibrate using weights before I step on. This leaves me feeling pretty confident that I'll get the closest possible number in my circumstances.
  • RoseGoldDinosaur
    RoseGoldDinosaur Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I bought a cheap $20 digital scale at Target. It works just fine. I weigh myself naked at 6am. Using the same scale at the same time of day seems to be the important thing.
  • fercar3000
    fercar3000 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I use a scale I got from walmart like 2 years ago , sometimes my weight goes down and sometimes it takes a while .... either way just because I'm curious I weight myself everyday in the morning before my shower .... many people advice not to look into scales at all
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself after my wake up tinkle, before any water or food, and before getting dressed. It's within the same 15m time span M-F, (5:15-5:30) and at around 9a Sat/Sun.

Our new Aria (FitBit) scale weighed me 5lbs heavier than my $6 WalMart scale, so I adjusted my weight history up from when I re-started my fitness plan. I don't weigh myself on any other scales.

I read that moving the scale around makes it wonky, so my husband and I leave our scale out in the same place and do not put it away.

Additionally (which I didn't know/think about) weighing yourself on carpet vs tile can have a difference.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Unless you calibrate them every time you use them, they are usually off.

If you use one of the ones like at the doctor's office, they are the best.

I don't really trust home scales, and you have to use them in the exact same spot on the floor every time.

Actually, even the type of scale they use at the doctor's office is inaccurate if not properly and recently calibrated. At my doctor's office, they once freaked out thinking I'd lost 8 pounds in a week. When I insisted that it wasn't remotely possible, they checked and it had been calibrated in between those 2 visits, meaning it had been off by at least 7 pounds the week before.
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I got mine at Walmart. I weigh myself frequently throughout the week but the only weight I base any progress off of is my Friday morning weigh in. Wake up, use the bathroom get on the scale, naked, that way there is nothing that could be a factor other than myself.

Though please know that scales shouldn't be your "guiding light". If you truly feel that there is something sketchy about your scale start measuring yourself instead. A tape measure is going to be the most accurate at depicting losses of inches. Best of luck!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i use a weight watchers one that i like. i can step on and off 3 times in a row and it gives me the exact same weight. so it works well enough for me.
  • acarmelo1
    acarmelo1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Can I measure myself naked at the supermarket?
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I have a 20 dollar scale from Walmart. It works well. I suggest you get one scale and use only it. Weigh on the same scale at the same time with the same clothes, once a week!