Goal Help!

Options
2»

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    When I first started (before mfp) i was losing 2-3 lbs a week. Then i started logging everything and continued to lose 1-1.5 lbs a week. then i stopped losing for a month. thats when i stopped logging. the following week i lost another 3 lbs. I havent been logging for a few months and have consistently losing 1-1.5 lbs a week.... until now. i know its important to keep track of my food... but these goals just seem low. i know when i exercise i can eat more... but i exercise 5-6 days a week and on my "off" day im going to be hungry. I'm also worried about eating my exercise calories because i dont have a hrm... so everything is really an estimate from mfp.

along the lines of never cheating, ever... that's why i've always quit in the past. there are days where im going to want a piece of pizza... and maybe i dont have time to exercise... its going to happen... and thats ok.

This sounds more of a case of you not recognizing what you need your goals set to than a problem with food logging. Or at least that's what I'm inclined to think. You may benefit from some individualized help (if you can afford it) from a registered dietitian. If not (not many of us can afford to shell out for a RD) then we can do our best to help, but we would really need to know pretty much all aspects of your profile in detail before any kind of informed recommendations can be made.

Thank you so much for your help! I may ask one of the teachers at my gym if she has any advice for me... that may be cheaper... or maybe free ;) I wish i could afford a nutritionist... and a personal trainer!!!

Just a bit of advice. be VERY VERY careful about going to a nutritionist. There are no medical requirements to becoming a nutritionist, no certifications to pass. While there are some very competent professionals out there that call themselves nutritionists, there are also some looneys as well. That's why I always recommend going to an RD, it may cost slightly more (sometimes, but if the nutritionist is any good, then it's about the same anyway), but RD's have to pass a standardized set of courses, and are required to keep up with their studies in order to remain certified. At the very least, ask for qualifications and referrals before you see any nutritionist. I've met a few who were awesome, and a few who were psycho's and you can't tell until you get into their methodology which one they are really. Most Registered Dietitians will do a one time consult with you (for little money), if you DO go to one, and mention MFP and exercise calories, they'll probably be resistant at first, make sure they understand that MFP gives a goal deficit before exercise is calculated in. It's super important that they understand that first before they give opinions on the site.
  • dmdaigle17
    dmdaigle17 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    When I first started (before mfp) i was losing 2-3 lbs a week. Then i started logging everything and continued to lose 1-1.5 lbs a week. then i stopped losing for a month. thats when i stopped logging. the following week i lost another 3 lbs. I havent been logging for a few months and have consistently losing 1-1.5 lbs a week.... until now. i know its important to keep track of my food... but these goals just seem low. i know when i exercise i can eat more... but i exercise 5-6 days a week and on my "off" day im going to be hungry. I'm also worried about eating my exercise calories because i dont have a hrm... so everything is really an estimate from mfp.

along the lines of never cheating, ever... that's why i've always quit in the past. there are days where im going to want a piece of pizza... and maybe i dont have time to exercise... its going to happen... and thats ok.

If you don't log your food you will not lose weight. Weight loss is 90% what you eat. Don't matter how much you work out if you aint eating right. Thats why you aint losing.

On the cheating, if you can't find room for a piece of pizza you aren't trying. I had pizza hut tonight infact. I didn't go over my goals.. What you want is your cake and eat it too. Making excuses for why you quit in the past. Your habits have you not losing weight. And your going to gain back what you do lose.

Its called yo-yo dieting.

You need to make a lifestyle change. Couple slices of pizza every now and than will not destroy your new lifestyle. You want to eat what you want. You don't want to make lifestyle changes.

Guess what, you aint going to have lasting results. I lost almost 200lbs. I did it by changing my life. Thats why people say this is a lifestyle change.

You don't want to make those changes. Your not committed. Your in for a long frustrating journey that ends in you quiting as you have in the past.

I find your replies to this thread very discouraging. We're all here for the same reason to help one another. That's what we should be doing.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I agree with giving your self no leeway to live. I do, I always have (granted, using me as a barometer for you isn't really that great but...), but it comes down to your will power, if you can move away from the strict adherence for a day or two a month and then go right back, then I think it's find to do that, but if this tends to sabotage you for days or weeks after, then you might want to rethink that strategy.

As to 55% protein, I heartily disagree. There's no need for that. Having your carbs set at about 50%, your protein at about 30% and your fats at around 20% should be fine assuming you have no issues with any of those three (I.E. allergies and such). Unless you're in an anabolic state and doing some serious muscle mass increases, your body won't use anything more than about 30% protein (everyone's a little different).

I do agree with needing to keep your food diary, until you feel you can keep track in your head (after a year or more, most people can do this pretty well) and accurately estimate what calories you are consuming without using MFP, then you need a way to know what you are eating, otherwise you're just playing guessing games, and that never works.

I agree! good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Loseittoo
    Loseittoo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I find your replies to this thread very discouraging. We're all here for the same reason to help one another. That's what we should be doing.

And my advice is all the help she needs. You will not be successful counting calories if you don't track your food.

It's one thing to give support especially when some one is doing everything right and struggling. It's another to just ignore the elephant in the room.

I went back 2-3 months in her diary. I saw 3 entries. She isn't dong the work. That is why she isn't losing weight. That's also why there are very few replies in this thread.

Why waste time helping some one not trying to help themselves.
  • Loseittoo
    Options
    Here is some "help". All of this is how I lost all my weight.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss/HQ01625
    Make a commitment
    Permanent weight loss takes time and effort. It requires focus and a lifelong commitment. Make sure that you're ready to make permanent changes and that you do so for the right reasons. No one else can make you lose weight. In fact, external pressure — often from people closest to you — may make matters worse. You must undertake diet and exercise changes to please yourself.

As you're planning new weight-related lifestyle changes, try to resolve any other problems in your life. It takes a lot of mental and physical energy to change your habits. So make sure you aren't distracted by other major life issues, such as marital or financial problems. Timing is key to success. Ask yourself if you're ready to take on the challenges of serious weight loss.

Set a realistic goal
    When you're considering what to expect from your new eating and exercise plan, be realistic. Over the long term, it's best to aim for losing 1 to 2 pounds (0.5 to 1 kilogram) a week, although initially you might lose weight more quickly if you make significant changes — just be sure the changes are health supporting. To lose 1 to 2 pounds a week, you need to burn 500 to 1,000 calories more than you consume each day, through a low-calorie diet and regular exercise.

When you're setting goals, think about process and outcome. "Exercise regularly" is an example of a process goal, while "Lose 30 pounds" is an example of an outcome goal. It isn't essential that you have an outcome goal, but you should establish process goals because changing your process — your habits — is the key to weight loss. Make sure that your goals are SMART: specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and trackable. An example of a SMART goal is aiming to walk for 30 minutes a day, five days a week, and logging your results.
    http://www.diet-blog.com/07/how_to_keep_a_food_diary_and_why.php
    Many nutritional experts agree that keeping a food diary is critical to weight loss success. A food diary creates a conscious awareness of food intake and eating patterns.

After keeping a diary many people are often surprised at how that "occasional" big dessert turns out to be a regular occurrence.
    http://technorati.com/lifestyle/article/food-diary-shown-to-double-successful/
    If you were to ask anyone who is trying to lose weight how many calories they eat each day or how long they spend exercising, chances are overwhelming that the answer would be grossly underestimated. People are very poor judges of calorie count or portion size when working toward a weight loss goal.

Most will indicate they eat very little when in reality they are taking in 20 to 40% more calories than anticipated, more than enough to sabotage their efforts. Another common mistake is the belief that since they are exercising regularly, they can consume more to compensate. The only way you can accurately gauge caloric intake and energy expenditure is to keep a daily log or journal to prevent excess calories and ensure successful weight loss.

Keeping a Food Journal Can Double Weight Loss
    The results of a study published in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine demonstrates that despite our best intentions, most people grossly underestimate portion sizes and calories eaten when they don’t measure their food. The researchers found that the more detailed food records that were kept by study participants, the more weight they lost. Those with the most meticulous recordkeeping lost twice as much as those who kept no track at all. And they were able to keep the weight off as long as they continued to record in their journal.

Keeping an Accurate Food Log: Be Honest With Yourself
    It isn’t that people are trying to be dishonest with food tracking, as they are only hurting themselves. The problem is we like to snack between meals or grab a few jelly beans, a small piece of chocolate or a sugary power drink with the thought it won’t make a difference. Those calories add up and at the end of the day you could be adding several hundred calories to you total. Keeping a handy journal where you record every bite of food before it goes in your mouth can help you stay on track. Here’s why:

Provides a True Understanding of Portions and Calories: When you’re forced to account for every calorie you eat, you quickly gain an understanding of portion sizes and the type of foods that pack on the calories (processed snacks, baked treats and fried foods), compared to fresh vegetables that you can eat in almost unlimited quantities.

Record Your Food Before You Eat: The most important part of the program is to always record the food or drink and portion size before you consume it. This will give your mind the time to understand the caloric impact of your food choice and possibly you’ll decide that you don’t need to eat now and can wait until your next meal.
  • brittlynne3579
    brittlynne3579 Posts: 217 Member
    Options

And my advice is all the help she needs. You will not be successful counting calories if you don't track your food.

It's one thing to give support especially when some one is doing everything right and struggling. It's another to just ignore the elephant in the room.

I went back 2-3 months in her diary. I saw 3 entries. She isn't dong the work. That is why she isn't losing weight. That's also why there are very few replies in this thread.

I think people are upset with the WAY you are speaking to her. Not your advice, but your approach. For instance, I don't log my food on this site, but rather my gym site. I also keep a personal food journal with me 24/7. While I understand your advice to put in the work for success, you also have to try and understand that sometimes we do hit a low or lazy point and we need more encouragement and less ridicule. I know that often times people have told me, if you want to lose weight, just DO it. But obviously it is not that easy for all of us, hence why we are here. Just a gentle reminder that she may not be in the exact same place as you are and you should respect that :heart:
  • Loseittoo
    Options
    I think people are upset with the WAY you are speaking to her. Not your advice, but your approach. For instance, I don't log my food on this site, but rather my gym site. I also keep a personal food journal with me 24/7. While I understand your advice to put in the work for success, you also have to try and understand that sometimes we do hit a low or lazy point and we need more encouragement and less ridicule. I know that often times people have told me, if you want to lose weight, just DO it. But obviously it is not that easy for all of us, hence why we are here. Just a gentle reminder that she may not be in the exact same place as you are and you should respect that :heart:

She asked for help. Theres a support forum for hugs. I am not in the support forums going off on her. I am telling her why she aint losing. I am giving her the help she asked for. At this point I have provided more than enough info for any one looking to lose weight.

Good luck to her in her struggle.
  • dmdaigle17
    Options

You don't even know her so how you can say she isn't doing the work?! Because her food log doesn't say it?! That's complete and utter BS! I'll be honest and say that sometimes tracking 24/7 makes it too much of an emotional game with one's self and not logging for a little while makes me lose MORE weight than when I do track it. And please, don't tell me I'm not doing the work either. My way has worked off 112lbs and counting. :wink:

Why did you even bother posting to this thread to begin with if you feel it's a waste of your time?
  • suzikelley
    suzikelley Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    She asked for help. Theres a support forum for hugs. I am not in the support forums going off on her. I am telling her why she aint losing. I am giving her the help she asked for. At this point I have provided more than enough info for any one looking to lose weight.

Good luck to her in her struggle.
    [/quote]

Wow! You're a real piece of work! She's lost 22 lbs - that's nothing to scoff at. Obviously she's doing something right!
    and p.s. "aint" isn't a word :wink:
  • Loseittoo
    Options
    You don't even know her so how you can say she isn't doing the work?! Because her food log doesn't say it?! That's complete and utter BS! I'll be honest and say that sometimes tracking 24/7 makes it too much of an emotional game with one's self and not logging for a little while makes me lose MORE weight than when I do track it. And please, don't tell me I'm not doing the work either. My way has worked off 112lbs and counting. :wink:

Why did you even bother posting to this thread to begin with if you feel it's a waste of your time?

She says she aint tracking in the op
    I haven't been logging my food for a while... My weight loss has stalled again... HELP!

I have only responded to things she has said. Next I post not for her benefit but for the hundreds that will view this thread. Thats how a forum works. Every one can benefit from others. Not just those who posted the thread.
    Wow! You're a real piece of work! She's lost 22 lbs - that's nothing to scoff at. Obviously she's doing something right!
    and p.s. "aint" isn't a word :wink:

Yes I am. I have no issues with myself or what I have said in this thread.

And on aint or ain't

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contractions_of_negated_auxiliary_verbs_in_English#Ain.27t
    Ain't
    Ain't is a colloquialism and contraction for "am not", "is not", "are not", "has not", and "have not" in the common vernacular. In some dialects ain't is also used as a contraction of "do not", "does not", and "did not". The usage of ain't is a perennial issue in English. Widely used by many people, its use is nevertheless commonly considered to be improper.[1]

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ain't
    Definition of AIN'T

: am not : are not : is not
    : have not : has not
    : do not : does not : did not —used in some varieties of Black English
    Usage Discussion of AIN'T

Although widely disapproved as nonstandard and more common in the habitual speech of the less educated, ain't in senses 1 and 2 is flourishing in American English. It is used in both speech and writing to catch attention and to gain emphasis

So let the debate continue. Here in the south aint or ain't is used alot.
  • dmdaigle17
    Options
    I think we've all had enough of your ego filled opinion. Thanks but, no thanks.
  • Loseittoo
    Options
    I think we've all had enough of your ego filled opinion. Thanks but, no thanks.

Lol. Than don't read them. Just like you have a opinion so do I. Notice I have never once said no one could not post in a thread. Some of you feel like your opinions are the only ones that matter.

It is always nice to take a look in the mirror.
  • MrsSeaShell
    Options
    It's amazing how some can come so far just to hold it over someone's head, belittling them and their actions, everyone falls at one point or another, if not then we wouldn't have extra weight to lose. Some of us have more of a struggle then others, and I know for a fact once you start getting a routine, you know what you can or can not eat to meet calorie goals, the OP asked for help, she hit a wall tracking calories and the answer lies not in "you must track calories or you will never loose" but more so the explanation of why it is important, that calories are not the only factor. You said it's calories in vs out, while that is true, sodium, fat, and carbs all have an influence on weight if you eat 1500 calories of pizza a day, you aren't getting the nutrition you need and the fat and carb are really high, , so remember you journey is unlike anyone else's and we ARE here to SUPPORT and "hug" I have read your other post, and you really are only here to gloat about your loss and make others feel inferior and that is not what mfp is about.

To original op, most people eat too many carbs, but it will depend on your workouts how much you should intake, you can try lowering your carbs for a week and see if it gives you results, also people on here have had success in cycling calories and exercises because it keeps your body guessing, IMO I would try eating more "clean" or organic, it will automatically cut your sodium and the less processed the food, the healthier it is, , if keeping track on here is a little too hard, try writing in a diary which you keep by the fridge, and try to make sure your portion sizes are real portion sizes, i.e. measuring what you can and meat servings are a size of a deck of cards, hope this helps,

I currently have my levels set 50,25,25; that's what works for me, you should tweak it until you find you magic combo =]

*Edit:Spelling*
  • Loseittoo
    Options
    It's amazing how some can come so far just to hold it over someone's head, belittling them and their actions, everyone falls at one point or another, if not then we wouldn't have extra weight to lose. Some of us have more of a struggle then others, and I know for a fact once you start getting a routine, you know what you can or can not eat to meet calorie goals, the OP asked for help, she hit a wall tracking calories and the answer lies not in "you must track calories or you will never loose" but more so the explanation of why it is important, that calories are not the only factor. You said it's calories in vs out, while that is true, sodium, fat, and carbs all have an influence on weight if you eat 1500 calories of pizza a day, you aren't getting the nutrition you need and the fat and carb are really high, , so remember you journey is unlike anyone else's and we ARE here to SUPPORT and "hug" I have read your other post, and you really are only here to gloat about your loss and make others feel inferior and that is not what mfp is about.

To original op, most people eat too many carbs, but it will depend on your workouts how much you should intake, you can try lowering your carbs for a week and see if it gives you results, also people on here have had success in cycling calories and exercises because it keeps your body guessing, IMO I would try eating more "clean" or organic, it will automatically cut your sodium and the less processed the food, the healthier it is, , if keeping track on here is a little too hard, try writing in a diary which you keep by the fridge, and try to make sure your portion sizes are real portion sizes, i.e. measuring what you can and meat servings are a size of a deck of cards, hope this helps,

I currently have my levels set 50,25,25; that's what works for me, you should tweak it until you find you magic combo =]

*Edit:Spelling*

The term is help not gloat. If some one just want a hug they should def go to the support forum. I am not trying to be mean I am being truthful.

She is the one asking for help. The help is easy. Consistently track your food. How that becomes such a huge issue is beyond me.

MFP is about tracking your food. if you are not tracking your food you are not seeing the whole picture. And you become frustrated and your weight loss stalls and you come on here crying for "HELP"

Seems to me help is not what people want. They want to be able to continue how they were living and still see results. Read her posts. She has yet to consistently track her food. And seems to be against it.
  • amcmillan730
    amcmillan730 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    You know... I started this post because I already knew I needed to get back into tracking. So I was looking for help at setting my goals and percentages. So to the people that gave me advice... thank you.

I didn't start this to be told I would fail. To be told I had to log or I would always be fat. MFP is a great tool and (for the most part) has people going through the same struggles, and I find to be very supportive and motivational. However, MFP is not the ONLY way to lose weight. I know people who haven't tracked a single calorie and have lost weight and kept it off. There are also people on here who have tried many different methods, and continue to be successful. Everyones body is different. Everyones life is different. There is no "my way or the highway" to weight loss.

These forums are set up for advice, help and support. If you'd like to talk about a success story... yes there's a separate area for that too. Its great to talk about how something worked for you... but you have to state it as that. Some people could have other things affecting their weight loss... that you have no idea about.

I was never making excuses for why I quit before. I know why I quit... and I'm not avoiding it.

As for leaving this post up for other people to learn from? Aside from some people's very helpful advice... this post shows a bad example of what mfp is. MFP is great... and has helped me lose the 22lbs that I have lost already... but this thread makes it look like people are here to tell their story... and demand that you do it the same way... or that you will be a failure.

You know what? I'm not. I have lost 22 lbs... ya it would have been great to lose more by now... but its still 22 POUNDS!!! Sometimes I walk around carrying 22 lbs... and its heavy. It "aint" nothing.

I'm not a failure. I will do this. And I don't need your "advice". Thanks though.
This discussion has been closed.