full fat greek yogurt?

Options
2»

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    That is due to the continuous brain washing of people thinking they need to keep away from fat. <SMH>

To the OP: As others have said, Trader Joe's Whole Foods, most health food stores, etc carry full fat in the larger tubs.

I love the Trader Joe's cream line, Greek God's plain full fat, Fage full fat and Noosa.

All of these are yummmy

I'm sure you are right, but I personally end up usually getting nonfat Greek Yogurt, also, because I generally like to keep most of the foods in my kitchen as significant sources of only 2 macros. It just makes it easier for me to make my macro goals without really tedious balancing of my intake.

The food sources in my house are also significant sources of 2 macros; fat and protein. I get carbs that I need from fruits and vegetables.
  • yogioats
    yogioats Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Fage Total is available at my local grocery store. It's available in a larger container.
  • gsgitu
    gsgitu Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    ive not done it but sitting here thinking...what if you just added nuts to it?

not a bad idea =) I'm trying to create the perfect balanced refrigerator oatmeal for my breakfast! so adding nuts could get me the fat I want =)
    but it is still FF yogurt. the difference is not just the fat content but the creaminess and taste. i found some 4% a while back, oh so heavenly. way better than FF. cottage cheese is the same way. 4% is way better taste and the creamy goodness. but yea, can't find it too often.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's! Although I still usually go for the 2% because it has more protein, which I've never understood. Why does full fat only have 9g of protein per cup and 2% has 24g??
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Learn to make your own. Yogurt is really easy to make.

The hardest part of making Greek yogurt is straining the whey.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's! Although I still usually go for the 2% because it has more protein, which I've never understood. Why does full fat only have 9g of protein per cup and 2% has 24g??

Probably because they're the same volume, I'm assuming. The fat does take up some space that would otherwise be filled with protein.
  • IVMarkIV
    IVMarkIV Posts: 116
    Options

Whole foods might carry full fat Fage...I've never seen it anywhere else

Or take regular whole fat yogurt and strain it (gravity filter using a paper towel and strainer) and be amazed that regular whole yogurt loses roughly half of its volume to "change ethnicity" and become "Greek"...I guess that's how most Greeks like yogurt?
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    1) Make your own. It's very easy to do.

2) Buy on Amazon.

3) Buy fat-free and add fat back. I do this and like to switch up my fat for different flavors and colors ... flaxseed oil, olive oil, palm oil, nuts, etc.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Whole foods or Fairway I guess. I don't see full fat yogurts at supermarkets unfortunately. You can always try to make your own. Apparently it's not too difficult.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options

Whole foods might carry full fat Fage...I've never seen it anywhere else

Or take regular whole fat yogurt and strain it (gravity filter using a paper towel and strainer) and be amazed that regular whole yogurt loses roughly half of its volume to "change ethnicity" and become "Greek"...I guess that's how most Greeks like yogurt?

A gallon of milk makes about 8 cups yogurt after it is strained. This is why the greek kind is so much more expensive than the regular. I go through two gallons of milk a week. I used to feel guilty for pouring all that whey down the drain.

My understanding is the Greeks like it strained, full fat and topped with honey and walnuts. Sounds yummy, but I've never tried it that way. I usually use 2% milk, but have used full fat before. Both are good.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I can find a few 2% and full-fat varieties of Fage at larger Giant stores in central Pennsylvania. The one in my town has a very limited selection of Fage and only fat free varieties, but now that I've discovered how amazing 2% and full-fat are, I'm willing to make a special trip!
  • valente347
    valente347 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    If you're in Texas, Sprouts sells Fage Total. I love stirring in my favorite fruit preserves. The full fat version is so rich, it feels like I'm eating dessert!