Bread.... How much is too much?

Options
I get whole wheat bread at Walmart. Thing is, I eat like 6 slices of bread a day. Is this way too much? Should I really only be eating one to two slices a day?

Replies

• funnygirl0940
    Options
    you need to be logging in your food. If you go over, then cut back sweetie ;) it is a lot of bread. Are you eating any fresh produce?
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    you need to be logging in your food. If you go over, then cut back sweetie ;) it is a lot of bread. Are you eating any fresh produce?

I agree. The only way to really be successful in losing weight or knowing where your "problem" areas are (too many carbs, sugars, etc) is to log your foods.

Editing to say... Sara lee has 45 calorie a slice bread. It's delish! I usually have two slices at the most a day but I eat a lot of carbs in other places like in pasta.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    I gave up logging my food. Maybe I should eliminate one thing, so I'm not too focused in one area. It's hard to stay under all of those. The sugar and the protein are hard to stay where I'm supposed to stay. Unless I'm eating the same thing everyday, it's hard to judge where I'll be at. The carbs, sugar, cholesterol and sodium are what bother me the most.
  • cjegger
    cjegger Posts: 24 Member
    Options

I agree. The only way to really be successful in losing weight or knowing where your "problem" areas are (too many carbs, sugars, etc) is to log your foods.

Editing to say... Sara lee has 45 calorie a slice bread. It's delish! I usually have two slices at the most a day but I eat a lot of carbs in other places like in pasta.

Check the sugar content on ALL Sara Lee Breads....and I've found most Sara Lee has high fructose corn syrup. A better alternatice is Nature's Own 100% Whole Wheat Bread...50 calories per slice, and it's full size bread, not the little lite type slices.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    It depends. It has been said (I am not saying it's 100% true), that the prime area for losing fat is less than 100g of carbs/day. To maintain is between 100g-150g. Over 150g is weight gain territory.
    If you work out a lot, this number goes up because the more you work out the more carbs you burn (not a technical term, just the best way I could think of to put it).

This is NET carbs, of course.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I gave up logging my food. Maybe I should eliminate one thing, so I'm not too focused in one area. It's hard to stay under all of those. The sugar and the protein are hard to stay where I'm supposed to stay. Unless I'm eating the same thing everyday, it's hard to judge where I'll be at. The carbs, sugar, cholesterol and sodium are what bother me the most.

The idea is to make the changes you need to make to start reaching your number goals. By the way, going over on protein is fine, and even prefferable if you go by the default numbers MFP gives you, as the default protein % is quite low.

Personally, I usually plan my days ahead of time. Yesterday evening I planned out my whole day today. I know that all I have to do is eat what I have planned to eat, and I'll make all of my numbers just fine.

As far as bread, it flat out doesn't matter. If you use more calories then you take in, you'll lose weight. TBH, all the other numbers aren't nearly as important as calories, and if you meet your calorie goal on a regular basis you'll lose weight.
  • hansenh1
    hansenh1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I try to limit to one meal a day containing bread! Otherwise it ends up being WAY too many carbs!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options

I highly recommend you go back to logging and just work on a little at the time. Try to plan your meals a head of time so you know you'll be making good choices. Back when I started, I just worked on staying at the right calorie level. Over time, I worked on improving my overall diet - adding in more veggies, eating less processed food, eating less sodium, tweaking the split between carbs/protein/fat, etc. I didn't do all this at once. Take baby steps. Focus on one or two categories at a time.

This is just my opinion, but the most important things to focus on right now are probably overall calories, sodium and fiber. It is important to eat enough protein and healthy fat - but it's not going to be a big deal if you're a little over on carbs.... the quality of the food you are eating is much more important. I don't even bother tracking Cholesterol because more research is suggesting that dietary cholesterol has little impact on blood cholesterol, and that it's much more impacted by genetics. I don't go overboard (I know what foods are high in cholesterol, and I eat those in moderation), but I see no need to track it and stress if I'm over on the recommended limit for it.

Edited to add: regarding tracking your sugar, it's important to note that the sugar tracking isn't incredibly useful because it doesn't differentiate between added and natural sugars. General rule of thumb - don't worry about dairy/fruit sugars, as long as you're eating those foods in moderation - most other sugars will be added and you want to eat as little of that as possible. Many people on MFP choose not to track sugar because of this. It's pretty easy to keep sugars under control as long as you read labels and only buy the foods that have very little (or no) added sugar.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Basically, what everyone else says. There is no short cut for this nutrition stuff, you have to know what is going in your body (and coming out in form of exercise).

Logging is the easiest way to figure if you are eating too much bread or not. Sorry. Wish it were easier.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options

Check the sugar content on ALL Sara Lee Breads....and I've found most Sara Lee has high fructose corn syrup. A better alternatice is Nature's Own 100% Whole Wheat Bread...50 calories per slice, and it's full size bread, not the little lite type slices.

Thanks for this!! I knew the sara lee had HFCS but tried to pretend it didn't! I had no idea there were other choices as low calorie.
  • Akerman
    Options
    Hey all,

It all really depends on what goals you are trying to reach. If you are trying to lose weight then I would have to say that 6 slices of bread in one day is to many....but it may not be depending on how much you weight, your age ( metabolism) and how much you exercise. Like someone else said its all a function of calories in to calories out.
    As for limiting your carbs under 100 grams per day....this is very difficult and a lot of times hurting your weight loss goals. Carbs have gotten a really bad name over the years....your body needs carbs...for many diferent fuctions in the body, one of the most important is that carbs are what helps transport nutrients through the body and to your muscles. So without carbs your can definitely hurt your weight loss and have the possibility of losing more muscle then you would like.
    Tinkering with you diet is something that is different for everyone and has to be adjusted on a week to week basis to see whats working and whats not.
    I recommend taking pics and measurements....this is one of the only true ways to see if your diet is working.....also your clothes.

Good luck
  • Jennili7
    Options
    I get the Natures Own honey wheat light bread. 35 cals per slice! The down side to it is it's very thin bread..but once you get used to that it's fine. When I have a sandwich somewhere other than home I'm always amazed at how thick regular bread is.. :wink: I usually have at least one sandwich per day (sometimes two).
  • TateFTW
    Options

The idea is to make the changes you need to make to start reaching your number goals. By the way, going over on protein is fine, and even preferable if you go by the default numbers MFP gives you, as the default protein % is quite low.

Personally, I usually plan my days ahead of time. Yesterday evening I planned out my whole day today. I know that all I have to do is eat what I have planned to eat, and I'll make all of my numbers just fine.

As far as bread, it flat out doesn't matter. If you use more calories then you take in, you'll lose weight. TBH, all the other numbers aren't nearly as important as calories, and if you meet your calorie goal on a regular basis you'll lose weight.

I decided to quote myself for you guys saying this (or any amount) of bread or anything else is bad.

Doesn't matter. Eat under your calories and you'll lose weight.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options

The idea is to make the changes you need to make to start reaching your number goals. By the way, going over on protein is fine, and even preferable if you go by the default numbers MFP gives you, as the default protein % is quite low.

I decided to quote myself for you guys saying this (or any amount) of bread or anything else is bad.

That is NOT true. I lost ZERO pounds WITH exercise and a somewhat low carb intake while meeting my calorie goals. The truth is, I'm pretty sure that I was going over on my sodium, cholesterol and sugar and didn't know it because I hadn't modified my food diary until a month ago. It wasn't until i upped my calories burned and started making an effort to try to stay under most of my numbers that I lost five pounds, which I gained back on Thanksgiving. lol :blushing:
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    For me.... more than 2 pepperidge farms deli flats.

I am uber sensitive to sugar/carbs etc so I attempt to limit myself to veggies and try to stay away from breads, pastas and sweets.
  • TateFTW
    Options

That is NOT true. I lost ZERO pounds WITH exercise and a somewhat low carb intake while meeting my calorie goals. The truth is, I'm pretty sure that I was going over on my sodium, cholesterol and sugar and didn't know it because I hadn't modified my food diary until a month ago. It wasn't until i upped my calories burned and started making an effort to try to stay under most of my numbers that I lost five pounds, which I gained back on Thanksgiving. lol :blushing:

I was talking specifically about macros. Protein, carbs, and fats. Sugar and sodium can srew with how your body acts. I'd argue that the numbers of those would actually matter more for most then the 3 macros.

It's true, however, that we are all different, and react differently to different things we eat. My main point is that the focus should be calories. Everything else is just about optimization.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options

I was talking specifically about macros. Protein, carbs, and fats. Sugar and sodium can srew with how your body acts. I'd argue that the numbers of those would actually matter more for most then the 3 macros.

It's true, however, that we are all different, and react differently to different things we eat. My main point is that the focus should be calories. Everything else is just about optimization.

That makes more sense. It sounds like what you had said before was an over-generalization. Thank you for clarifying. :flowerforyou:
  • TateFTW
    Options
    Haha, it was definitely an over-generalization. I guess my biggest worry is that people will lose focus by taking advice that's worked for others, then get frustrated when it doesn't work. Also, some people think that they can trick their bodies into losing weight without having to follow the calorie number if they "mess" with the combination of macros.

For me, when trying to lose fat I avoid carbs. For some reason, they make me feel hungrier sooner then fats and proteins, even when I only take in complex carbs, and the spikes in hunger are hard to take. If I favor protein I tend to not have those bursts of hunger that come when you know you shouldn't be hungry yet. I HATE those.
  • Scorpiomom222
    Options
    Haha, it was definitely an over-generalization. I guess my biggest worry is that people will lose focus by taking advice that's worked for others, then get frustrated when it doesn't work. Also, some people think that they can trick their bodies into losing weight without having to follow the calorie number if they "mess" with the combination of macros.

For me, when trying to lose fat I avoid carbs. For some reason, they make me feel hungrier sooner then fats and proteins, even when I only take in complex carbs, and the spikes in hunger are hard to take. If I favor protein I tend to not have those bursts of hunger that come when you know you shouldn't be hungry yet. I HATE those.

Me too, because then I feel like I have to eat really fast and if I don't eat slowly, I eat too much.