Too embarrassed to exercise

Options
My hubby likes to laugh at me when I try and exercise to a dvd which really puts me off. Does anyone else out there have a hubby that doesn't think before he acts?? I end up getting upset and putting the dvds away never to be used again but its something that i think i would really enjoy doing just minus the laughter from him.

Replies

• YearsWorthOfFAT
    Options
    Let him laugh, he won't be laughing when you look hot as hell.
  • Arranna1212
    Arranna1212 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Yea, let him laugh and then tell him to not get pissed off when other men hit on you because of your rockin' body.
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    Yeah. Just talk to him. Let him know he makes you feel self conscious and embarassed and ask him to go to another room while you're exercising. I had the same talk with my husband and he felt bad for making me feel that way and now cooperates. Hopefully it isn't his intent and will understand when you ask him to stop. Don't let it discourage you, please! Keep going, even if you have to do it in a room with the door closed. Good luck!
  • momc4sons
    Options
    Try to do it when he's not around. He probably doesn't realize he's being a jerk and hurting your feelings…but do it for YOU! It will make you feel better.
  • kethra
    kethra Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    ^^ What she said.

You probably need to let your husband know that he's hurting your feelings by laughing at you and your efforts to improve your health.

It's extremely immature of him. I'd expect it from strangers at a gym - which I've personally experienced ... jerks - but not your husband. :(
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Who cares if he laughs??? No one looks perfect and at least you are exercising.
  • mg_89
    mg_89 Posts: 189 Member
    Options

What ^^^ said.

Shame on him for being ridiculous. Ask him to go into another room or somewhere else. Exercise when he's asleep. Or just ignore him. You have to be committed to your goals..

Good luck!
  • llabruce4
    llabruce4 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    We are guys, of course we don't think before we act. If he knew it made you feel that way, I am sure he would stop
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Let him laugh. Let him laugh himself to tears. It's his problem, not yours.

Get out those DVD's and do the ones you want. It's your body and only you can reach your goals. Don't let anyone stop you from being the best person you can possibly be.

If you don't want to do a DVD in front of him. Then take a laptop or other device in another room and do a workout. If that's not possible, do workout when he's not home to laugh. TRUST ME, he won't be laughing when you're looking great and healthy because other people will notice. He will have to admit that your determination and hard work paid off.

Get out those DVD's and have a great time.
  • beckizzle
    beckizzle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Lock the door
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

THIS :)
  • annie61702
    annie61702 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    1. Tell him it bothers you. If he keeps doing it, he's a jerk.
    2. Do it when he's not around if possible.
    3. Laugh like hell when he realizes that you are fit, healthy, and hot...and getting a lot of attention from other men.
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Option 1...Have a serious, constructive talk to him, let him know how you feel and what you would like for support.

Option 2... Go walking instead of workout DVD's

Option 3... If available do the DVD's when he is not around

Option 4 .. Kick him in the balls every time he laughs (opps....sorry that was not constructive, can't help it, just came out)

Ok seriously, try having a talk with him, in saying that some will never be supportive and you can't control him not being supportive or making fun of you, but what you can control is how you react and think about what is going on. He could be laughing for a myriad of reasons that he can not fully explain to you or admit to himself. Could be he has not seen someone do DVD's and he giggles, that might not last long. Could be it is making him uncomfortable because often when we want to make a change in our lives our loved ones get really nervous because they don't know what is coming up. Think about it, when someone does something out of their normal routine, there is a reason typically. Maybe he is insecure about that, but the more you do it, the more it will become routine and he won't even think about it. It won't be funny, it will just be a thing. As for now you allowed him to control your actions by his making fun of you. I am not saying this is a bad thing, we all do that in some way or the other, but I want you to think about that for a moment. Are you going to let anyone else control you bettering yourself or not, choice is really your's.
  • benlambrou
    benlambrou Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am one not to laugh but my wife does get embarassed if i am around. She ended up finding aerobic classes at community centers and at our local high school to go to. She has done all types of classes ranging from water aerobics to zumba trying new things till she found what she liked and the classes where cheap, like $3 a class. She ended up meeting a lot of new people with the same goals.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I don't let anyone see me work out. I even run at night for minimal contact with others. Just find a way to do it alone.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    You haven't seen me run.

How I think I look when I run:
    Usain-Bolt-Running.jpeg

How I probably look:
    giphy.gif
  • Lauren4974
    Lauren4974 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm VERY self conscious as well which is why I don't exercise if ANYONE is around. My kids, my husband, anyone. When I do work out I try to do it on my lunch break from work since I don't live to far away from my work. I just go home on the days I don't have to run to get the kids from school. That way no one is around to see me work out. My husband is very supportive, but I don't like anyone seeing me work out.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

THIS :)

+1. Let him laugh! Tell him how you feel. If he continues, laugh at him next time he's naked. But not an outright laugh, do the subtle snicker thing. You got this!! This is your change. Husband or not - do not let him in the way! :flowerforyou:
  • Lauren4974
    Lauren4974 Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Option 4 .. Kick him in the balls every time he laughs (opps....sorry that was not constructive, can't help it, just came out)

Might not be constructive but it does sound like a good option. ;) Once or twice of that I doubt he still be laughing when she worked out. He'd steer clear of her workout sessions! =)
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options

This.