THE MYTH OF MOTIVATION (AND WHAT YOU NEED INSTEAD)

Options

Replies

• ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Can someone summarize this for me. I wasn't motivated or interested enough to make it past the first third. I had some running to do.
  • FitCowgirl8
    FitCowgirl8 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Love this! Thanks for sharing!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Can someone summarize this for me. I wasn't motivated or interested enough to make it past the first third. I had some running to do.

You're going running and your ticker is on the right side. You really don't need a summary anyhow. Just keep doing what you've been doing.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Bump
  • olvvii
    olvvii Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This post is so on the money for me. All my life I have been fat, now extremely fat, and I have always made out like I didn't care or wasn't bothered, boy was I bothered! And as I have gotten older, fatter and much less fit I have just ignored it and tucked into another of whatever I wanted. Indecision, apathy and frankly laziness have been my watchwords for years, and as I hurtle towards an early grave with the chocolate still staining my lips and lining my arteries, I have finally found that my blinkered view of everything that is happening to my body and my mental health could have and can still be avoided.

So I've made my decision, strengthened my resolve and I am on the road to recovery.

20lbs down, many more to go. :happy:
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I love it! :flowerforyou:
  • verasdaughter
    verasdaughter Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • prairielilly
    prairielilly Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Quote stole from another MFP member
    "there is a difference between interest and commitment. When you are interested in something, you do it only when it is convenient . When you are committed to something, you accept no excuses, only results."

Kenneth Blanchard

Love this, and the OP. Thanks for posting.
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Bump! :)
  • evitaevita12
    evitaevita12 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. I needed to hear that!:smile:
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    This combined with the Derpes thread is fantastic.
  • PurpleDragon87
    PurpleDragon87 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you!

OohRah
  • charcoalgriller
    charcoalgriller Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Good post for the spirit of it...but...

Those men, soldiers standing in that down pour don't have a choice, it wasn't their decision...it was an order..

I know that from being ex military myself and doing centaph duty on rainy cold Novembers...no choice.

But I do feel movitvation is a myth..my profile says how I feel...you either want it bad enough or you don't....end of that quote is "it's a choice you make".

And I believe that.

and those soldiers executed that order because....

They had discipline.

Discipline is doing something even when you don't want to. Yes, discipline can be used for good or ill, but when you are making your own decisions, discipline to execute your decisions will define you.

We should not let life "happen" to us. We should grab it by the throat and bend it to our will.

Like you, I got to the point where I wanted it bad enough. I was unwilling to accept what was "happening" to me. I made a decision.

To misquote, "Be the change you want in you."

And, BTW I also decided I will never go back to the desert, or CENTAF, again.

USAF retired
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I love this, thanks.
    A girl I work with has been asking me how I quit drinking and smoking. I told her I just decided to. And then I didn't.

Tell yourself "I don't drink" and make it be the truth.

Tell yourself "I eat well and exercise" and make it be the truth.
  • princesswarrior1116
    Options
    You know that is so true! I have people tell me that all the time, that it must of been really hard, well it wasn't a walk in the park, but it wasn't that difficult either. I tell people that you have to have the right mind set, if you don't really want to put forth the effort then it is not going to happen. I was ready to make the changes and I did. Then I started seeing results and it made me that much more motivated....Just like my mother who quit smoking after over 40 years of it. She had tried to quit before a dozen times, but this time was different...She was ready and she did it!! Has not smoked since June 22, 2012. People have to want to change and when that happens, it will happen.

QFT
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Needed to see this today...
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this!
  • Kookyk9s
    Kookyk9s Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    "We should not let life "happen" to us. We should grab it by the throat and bend it to our will. "
    "Be the change you want in you."

Love these.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Great post
  • Squible
    Squible Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Was craving food and chocolate....I still am but I have lunch in two hours I will get through it :)