Could you do a plant based diet?

Options
So I've done a lot of research on plant based diets and was wondering if anyone here could do one?

That would mean giving up the following-> no meat of any kind no diary meaning no milk, cheese,

And living off beans, legumes, veggies, and fruit, and drink things like almond milk. And eating stuff like ezekiel cereal etc for carbs

Could you do it?

Replies

• weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    There are many people on the forums who follow a vegan diet, and there are many who are very opposed to it. It's a matter of perspective and different interpretations of the available science.

There are several community groups on the forums that cater to these lifestyles.

I was a vegetarian for 8 months, but found I wasn't getting enough high quality protein. In my ideal world, I would be a vegan for ethical reasons, but as I am a college student on a meal plan that's not really feasible for me right now. Also beef just tastes good.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I could, but I don't see any good reason as to why I should.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Already doing it.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    The research is the reason I couldn't and don't want to rely just on plant food for my diet.
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Nope and I would have no logical reason to try. Some people enjoy it, I don't happen to be one of those
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Yes and No.

I went vegetarian for health reasons last year. felt okay - but that was coming from a low fat/high carb following the food pyramid. I'm not a huge dairy person, reckon I could give that up no problem.

BUT....I'm not at all vegetarian now. I eat a lot of meat, I also eat a lot of vegetables. I've found when I eat a lot of meat and far higher fat, combined with lifting weights that my hormones have settled way down and I don't get headaches any more.

So yes, I think from a food perspective, I could do it. But I'm not going to, I absolutely feel so much better now that there's no question of me changing. I do buy free range/organic where I can, but I'm definitely a carnivore now for my health reasons.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Only once the plants are processed, refined, and turned in to meat by an animal =P
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Could I? Of course. I could follow almost any diet.

Do I want to? No. I enjoy meat and animal byproducts. But I already have a very heavily plant based diet overall, it's just not plant exclusive. Last night for dinner I had pea, spinach, and avocado soup, a banana, an apple, a plethora of frozen green grapes, and a blueberry muffin. And I was thoroughly satisfied and am still stuffed this morning.

Historically human beings in most societies have had very plant heavy based diets, just not exclusively so. It would do us VERY well, for health and weight, to migrate back to a very heavily plant based diet (and no, I don't mean french fries or fried onion rings).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    nope, I like meat and dairy too much and have had success eating them …

sorry, OP
  • QueensGirl83
    QueensGirl83 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Not a chance.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Tried and failed several times. I can substitute tofu or tempeh for meat without problem, in fact, I've always liked grilled tofu better than meat. I can give up cow milk forever and never miss it, I've never liked milk anyway but I needs my cheese!!

KflS1ORs.jpg

I just make sure the cheese is made without renin or other cow enzymes (cheese processed with vegetable enzymes tastes just as good!) For some reason, soy/almond/rice alternatives just don't satisfy the craving.

Good luck, though. A plant-based diet has been shown to be the best for you.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    Funny, I've found researching that the pescatarian diet trumped both the vegetarian and vegan diet for health.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I do. I have for like 20 years now.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    No, I like beef, fish, chicken, and diary. I need my protein fix next to my veggies and fruit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

^^^That's just not even remotely true.

OP, nothing wrong with a vegan diet...I couldn't/wouldn't want to do it, but there's nothing wrong with...just make sure you know how to get the nutrients you will be missing from eating meat/seafood/poultry. Those things you are eliminating provide a lot of nutrition and those nutrients need to be found elsewhere. Simply switching over to a vegan diet doesn't mean you're automatically super healthy...I know lots of vegetarians and vegans who do not get proper nutrition.

Also Watch your iron and you will likely have to take B-12 supplements.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    If I had to I could.

I just don't think I'd really want to. I could give up milk and cheese (I know, I'm an oddball, I don't get the cheese love, except a few I could still live without) but I love venison, eggs and yogurt and chicken too much. Fish, beef and pork I can take or leave. Well, maybe not the bacon. Anyway, I think I'm happier eating a little animal protein in my diet. It's not a ton or anything or or two servings a day.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    <<Yep not an issue for me, but it is just a personal preference of mine and I never feel the need to justify it...in the sense I do not ask people to justify their personal preferences/choices such as music, authors, sexual preference etc.

Question is if you are considering this dietary preference why do you need peoples validation, if it is what you want to do and you have the financial and geographical means go for it and if you find it beneficial and to your liking what do others opinions matter.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    no way...
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    No, I could not but I have tried some vegan foods (some of my closest IRL friends are vegan and I cook for them occasionally) and some of it is actually quite delicious. However I ultimately love all things dairy (mmm cheese) and meat (mmm steak), and don't feel the need for my choices to be approved or validated by other people..and you shouldn't either.

If a plant based diet is your preference..do it!
  • Briantime
    Briantime Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Sure I could, but why would I want to?