Question about calcium

Options
Hi everyone. I've been looking over my macros/micros, and it looks like I'm never getting enough calcium, at least according to MFP. Canada's food guide says that females from 19-50 (or something like that) need two servings of milk and alternatives per day, or 1000mg of calcium. (I know dairy isn't always the best source of calcium and I do eat calcium rich plant foods as well though today isn't the best indication of this as I'm due for groceries), but even though I always eat at least that much, MFP says I'm never meeting my calcium needs. For example, today I've planned for a cup of 1% milk, a latte made with 1/4 cup of 1% milk, an omelette made with cheese, and a slice of cheesecake for dessert. With all of that (and other foods that have a little bit of calcium as well) it's saying I've only met 54/100 of my daily goal but when I calculate it myself it's only a little under 1000mg of calcium.

Am I doing something seriously wrong or is MFP telling me I need more calcium than I do for some reason?

Replies

• waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Check your entries, its possible that you are using poor quality food entries that only have cals or cals/macros with no micronutrient information.

Your list of things sounds like you should be hitting the RDA for calcium. Calcium, for most people, especially women, is the micronutrient you should pay attention to the most. Iron and Vitamin D (if you are mainly indoors, our bodies make it when sun hit the skin) are the other two to be aware of and keep tabs on.

One thing MFP misses.... if you live in an area with hard/very hard water and drink a fair amount of it (incl in coffee/juice from concentrate/etc...), you will get quite a bit of calcium that way (most calcium supps are little more than dried up powdered water hardness). Its hard to quantify this, but it is significant.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I use egg shells for my wife mostly but I take it as well. It's probably the highest bioavailable source around and it's basically free.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I use egg shells for my wife mostly but I take it as well. It's probably the highest bioavailable source around and it's basically free.

Do you just rinse them out, or do you boil the empty shells? Do you crush them by hand (with a mortar and pestle)? Use a spice grinder? A food processor? Just pop a piece of shell in your mouth and chew? How much egg shell do you need to get 1000 mg of calcium?
  • ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin so I never have to worry about it. Dairy products are a pretty good source, but they won't always add up to the full 1000mg, and plant sources, while "calcium rich" don't have large % of calcium either. Plus, taking a multivitamin ensures you're getting a wide range of vitamins and minerals you may not be getting enough of. You probably are correct that you aren't too far under your goal despite what MFP is telling you, but I'd rather be a bit over my goals, which are really only minimum goals set by the government as the smallest amount necessary for health.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

Do you just rinse them out, or do you boil the empty shells? Do you crush them by hand (with a mortar and pestle)? Use a spice grinder? A food processor? Just pop a piece of shell in your mouth and chew? How much egg shell do you need to get 1000 mg of calcium?
    Boil them, which is sanitizing them, lay them out to dry and then grind them into a powder. 1 tsp contains around 1000mg's and you can put it any drink or smoothie. We do a smoothie in the morning of beets, apple, ginger, celery, peppers, tomato etc and add the powder.
  • RowanJ13
    Options
    I do take a daily multi vitamin as well, but I've always believed food sources to be the best way to get nutrients.
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Low fat greek yogurt, spinach or broccoli could up your calcium.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

Boil them, which is sanitizing them, lay them out to dry and then grind them into a powder. 1 tsp contains around 1000mg's and you can put it any drink or smoothie. We do a smoothie in the morning of beets, apple, ginger, celery, peppers, tomato etc and add the powder.

Thanks, I really appreciate the info. I may have to try this myself!