Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Pump Up Your Metabolism

Ask Jillian Michaels
Pump Up Your Metabolism

Q:
I've tried every diet under the sun in my life, and I'm really afraid I've ruined my metabolism. I seem to gain weight no matter what I eat now! Is there any way to fix this?

A:
This is such a good question — I'm so glad you asked! Many people suffer from the backlash that can result from years of yo-yo diets. What happens is this: When people let their calorie levels drop too low, their body's survival mechanism kicks in, lowering their metabolic set point (or basal metabolic rate). When they go off that crash diet and begin to eat normally again, they gain back any weight lost — plus. And what follows that? Yup, another crash diet.

The cycle is often very frustrating, but it CAN be reversed with time, consistency, and patience. What you'll need to do is the exact opposite of what we call shocking the metabolism; you have to allow your body time to adapt to a new metabolic set point — by being consistent, you'll force your body to adapt.

Okay, here's the game plan: First, set your daily caloric intake at 12 calories per pound of body weight. (For example, my weight is 117; 117 x 12 = 1,404 calories a day.) Then stick like glue to that calorie allowance for at least one to two months, depending on your metabolism. This will allow your body time to readjust your metabolic set point accordingly.

Now, here's the other part of the equation: The absolute best way to pump up your metabolism is to EXERCISE. You'll be burning calories not only during your workout but also up to 48 hours after — all the while increasing lean muscle tissue, which speeds the metabolism over the long term. Aim for five hours of exercise a week if possible, but no fewer than three hours a week.

Replies

• mrspeterson
    mrspeterson Posts: 54 Member
    Does Jillian Michaels really think I should 3120 calories every day for two months??
  • kbooth
    kbooth Posts: 49 Member
    QUESTION - It says here to times your weight by 12 to get your calorie budget. If I did that, I would be allowed 2,160. MFP is only allowing me 1,380. Am I missing something???????
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    I love this idea...
    Okay, here's the game plan: First, set your daily caloric intake at 12 calories per pound of body weight. (For example, my weight is 117; 117 x 12 = 1,404 calories a day.) Then stick like glue to that calorie allowance for at least one to two months, depending on your metabolism. This will allow your body time to readjust your metabolic set point accordingly.

Too bad I'd be stuffed like a Thanksgiving turkey with that much food!!! Myfitnesspal recomends I eat about 1800 calories per day. According to Jillian Michaels, I'd eat more like 2400 per day! Yipes!!!

Has anoyone had success with this?
  • I was just going to comment the same thing as the above commenters!

So... Jillian.. I should eat 2500+ calories per day!? That's over 1,000 more than I currently eat!

Maybe this works for those who weigh 117 - but I can't see this realistically working for me....
  • flattsfan22
    flattsfan22 Posts: 86 Member
    The 2160 is the number of calories your body needs to maintain...MFP is calculating a caloric deficit
  • I think she means that is only to get your metabolism back on track if your having trouble losing weight. I don't think she means eat that much and you will lose weight.
  • orthpole
    orthpole Posts: 16 Member
    Question- What is your thought on have a diet soda? I'm not a big soda drinker but I do put in long days and need something. I'm not a coffee drinker so was wandering if 1or 2 soda OK. Pleas help!!!
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    I've read this in one of her books. And it is not meant to help you lose weight. It is meant to get you off that diet roller coaster for a month or two. Will you gain weight, it depends. Mine is at maintenance for someone who worksout quite a bit. So yes I would gain weight in that time.
  • gnutrifitness
    gnutrifitness Posts: 169 Member
    I think she meant 12 calories per pound of target body weight, if you are overweight, I explain. When you have an overweight or obese IBM, you often have more fat than muscle (most of the times), and like your active metabolic tissue (muscle), is reduced you burn less calories than a person lighter than you but with more muscle. So if you take 12 calories per pound of target weight, this is considering the amount of pounds of active metabolic tissue you should have and avoiding the rest you have, which is fat, and more fat....