Today my total was -60 lbs!

Options
sylviatx
sylviatx Posts: 156 Member
I started this journey a year and a half ago. At that time, I wore a size 18W. I didn't sleep well because in the middle of the night, I would wake up from my hip joints hurting. I would huff and puff going up a flight of stairs. I was humiliated and embarrassed to wear a swimsuit. At 60 years of age, I still was not comfortable in my own skin.

Then my stepmother Pauline died. (She married my dad long after I was an adult, so was not a part of my formative years.) Her senior years were pretty tragic. She was a lifelong alcoholic and pill addict. She spent what should have been her "golden years" mostly in jail for DUIs. It really struck me. She died never having won her biggest battle: addiction.

I did NOT want to be that old woman who had never conquered her personal demon. I resolved to face my demon of food addiction and overeating. It was NOT going to own me for the rest of my life!

I bought a season pass at a local water park, because I love to swim. I went every day and swam "laps" in their lazy river. I did it all summer long, and it became an ingrained habit, and I loved it. When autumn approached, I wondered where I would be able to swim now. My husband gave me a gift membership to the local Gold's Gym because they had an indoor pool. I started swimming there. Some friends told me about MFP and I joined here and started tracking my diet. Then I started branching out at the gym. I tried the lady's area weight machines, and I enjoyed it. I started walking on my lunch hour sometimes. I tried a few classes, and discovered I really enjoyed the Body Pump classes, which are cardio with a little bit of weight. I felt powerful.

I started losing weight. I bought most of my "interim" wardrobe at thrift stores. It's amazing how many like-new clothes you can find there. I went through 16W, 14W, 14, 12... Now most of my clothes are 10s and 12s and "medium". That beautiful word, "medium"! I look "normal" in a mirror, or in a shop window reflection. Not "fat," not "stocky," not "big-boned."

I sleep well. My blood pressure is well within healthy ranges. I have energy. I don't have aches and pains. My blood sugar is no longer "pre-diabetic." I feel healthy. I haven't missed a day of work in over a year to illness. I don't take any prescription medications to manage anything anymore. I climb stairs and am fine. I actually look forward to buying a new swimsuit for this coming summer! and have already bought my season pass for my local water park. I routinely walk at lunch and attend a couple Body Pump classes a week.

It's been slow. It's a long haul. I haven't been "perfect" by any means. My end of day MFP often just says I completed my day, and not "was under her calorie goal." I have had long periods of difficulty and backsliding. But I have made progress, bit by bit, and I very much want it to be a lifelong change.

I don't know whether this is my "goal" weight or not. I plan to keep losing a little bit at a time, and keep toning and strengthening.

I wanted to share. Because at one time, I thought, it was too overwhelming. I'd never get to "goal" weight. I couldn't control myself around food. Obstacle obstacle obstacle. Reason reason reason. Doubt doubt doubt. So I wanted to say: set your mind. Believe in yourself. Be powerful. Fake it till you make it (check this out: http://blog.ted.com/2013/12/13/fake-it-til-you-become-it-amy-cuddys-power-poses-visualized/). You can do it.

You're not alone.

I would love to support you if you would like to add me.

Replies

• jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I love your outlook. Its always nice to hear success stories! Thank you for sharing your journey.
  • sometimesirunwithscissors
    Options
    Love hearing stories like this! It helps keep me motivated, and congrats on your hard work and dedication.
  • marjoleina
    marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing, what a positive story and you have a great vision for your overall life!! Congratulations on your success
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Great story! You should be really proud of yourself:flowerforyou:
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Terrific story - thank you for the inspiration and best wishes on your healthy journey!
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Great story thanks for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • vmatare
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! An inspiring story that is a success story! Keep focusing on being happy & healthy!
  • juliezum
    juliezum Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Beautifully said! I can so relate to everything you said. Thank you for sharing.
  • leslilippthomas
    Options
    Your story is the inspiration I needed to read today. Thank you! Congratulations to you!!
  • debobrien1
    Options
    Congratulations!!! What awesome benefits you received from your weight loss journey! Way to go girl!!!! :smile:
  • pmr545
    pmr545 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    WOW! Congratulations and keep it up. That's what I call..."setting a goal and hitting it".

-Pete
  • awake4777
    awake4777 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Start using a tape measure. Hope you continue to lose inches, not just lbs. I started losing in June, 2012, and am giving myself until 7/11/14 to reach my goal of 130 lbs. I use the tape measure to ward off discouragement when I plateau.
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Fabulous! Amazing! Courageous! Persistant! So very well done!! Congrats! :flowerforyou:
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    congrats! your story is awesome. great job.
  • newladykb2016
    newladykb2016 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Great job! Love hearing these true stories of people that gives hope to others.
  • WallyH4EverVersion
    WallyH4EverVersion Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your journey ...truly inspirational and motivating...I would love to have you as a MFP pal . You sound positive and realistic about your goals. :smile:
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady does it again.

Way to go!

I am striving back to "medium". Thank you for sharing your encouragement.
  • Patty1015A
    Patty1015A Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration!
  • sylviatx
    sylviatx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    The tape measure is a great idea and something I haven't done at all. When I first joined Gold's they took my measurements there. I will ask them what they were! LOL and then measure now.

Best of luck on your journey! You can do it! We all can do it!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what it's all about! I admire and respect what you have accomplished. I never go to the water park with my daughter and granddaughter even though they ask me every year. This summer I will go. Thanks for your very inspiring story!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!