Home weight lifting routine - no bench?

Options
Hi,
So I've invested in some weights to help me start lifting at home. I've been researching beginner training plans but most of them seem to include bench presses etc. My problem? I don't have a bench. I have dumbbells and a barbell.
Any ideas on a starting plan I could use?

Thanks

Replies

• kathystrauss1
    kathystrauss1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    What about using an exercise ball and dumbbells to do chest presses? You would have the added benefit of using your core to stabilize yourself. I think though you'd be limited in how far you can advance this way since I don't think you could get to really heavy weight this way. I am a very beginning lifter though so hopefully there will be more advice from the pros.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I would think you could find a bench for really cheap somewhere, like on craigslist.

sorry i'm not helpful.
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    What I use is an old ottoman. It's the right height, and it's cushy. Plus it was free! I'm sure you could find some sort of bench that would work free/cheap. If it doesn't have padding, some fabric and stuffing plus a staple gun would fix that...
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Look on Craigslist. Ours often have flat benches list for $25. The other option is a large exercise ball.

Even without the bench, you can still do exercises like bent over rows, front squats, deadlifts, shoulder presses and more.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Pushups, or floor press. Or a coffee table.
  • RomaWT
    RomaWT Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I use an Ottoman bench. It works great. You can buy a bench for $50 new, probably can get one on craigslist for less.
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    What about using an exercise ball and dumbbells to do chest presses? You would have the added benefit of using your core to stabilize yourself. I think though you'd be limited in how far you can advance this way since I don't think you could get to really heavy weight this way. I am a very beginning lifter though so hopefully there will be more advice from the pros.

This is exactly what I would have suggested! Works great!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Just do it on the floor. They're called floor presses, unsurprisingly.

http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/floor-press/
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Just learn to clean and push press the bar instead while you shop for a second hand bench.

Builds power and conditioning and gets some quality pressing in as well.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Floor presses are a good alternative to bench presses.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    nth-ed on the floor presses. They don't have the same ROM as a bench press, but they're about as close as you'll get. Don't go trying to bench on something like a Swiss ball or something silly like that... use the floor until you can get a bench.

I don't know where you're from, but I got my Marcy flat-bench for about £70 (Amazon), which is good for supporting weights up to 270kg... far more than I weigh or could possibly ever bench.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    You can get in a great workout with just the dumbbells. And they're just so handy. Anytime you're bored or in the mood, grab them and get in a quick workout. We keep dumbbells in our living room for just that reason. Check out HASfit.com for great supersets.
  • Roshellexo
    Roshellexo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice.
    I don't have a bench because I don't really have anywhere to put one! I live in a 1 bed apartment. It may be an option for when I move in a few months though.
    I think I'll go with the floor press and just do that instead of the bench press! I've seen a few dumbbell workouts that don't seem to need much more than just weights and dumbbell so I may start with those.
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Floor presses with dumbbells should be fine.