Working out to eat?

Options
I am really enjoying working out lately but I also find myself wanting to workout so I have more calories to work with and so that I am able to eat more during the day.

Do you think that is a positive or negative thing?

Replies

• 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I've recently seen the benefits of actually eating more instead of less. I enjoy working out and it is great for getting your metabolism going. One result of this is that you actually need to eat MORE. I wasn't eating enough (under 1200 calories) and I completely stopped losing weight for a month! So it actually makes sense to workout more and eat more. I still leave some exercise calories uneaten, but now I'm shooting for at least 1300 calories a day (base is set to 1270 to lose a pound a week). The exercise fires up the metabolism and the food fuels it, so you burn away the fat :)
  • pamp1emousse
    pamp1emousse Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Positive I hope, because that's exactly what I do!
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I would like to know others feelings on this as well.

I too am thoroughly enjoying working out, for the first time in my life actually, but I find that I will look at those calories as extra for me to "spend". I don't use them all but always use at least half, sometimes it will end up being more.

SO I'm looking forward to some wise ones responses too!
  • tarapin
    tarapin Posts: 169
    Options
    Good stuff, thanks! I do try and leave a few hundred leftover just to make up for any errors in calculating food/exercise calories here on the site.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    this is FINE! what's wrong with fueling your body? Earning the calories you want to spend on food? NOTHING!

If I said , OMG I ate cheesecake what should I do? Is it ok to exercise extra to burn it off? You'd say OF COURSE! This is no different!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Well - if that is bad I have been doing it all wrong for the last 5 1/2 months! Anyway - it's working for me - 47 lbs down. Just a note - I have never eaten all my exercise calories and usually end up around 1200-1500 calories each day :-)
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    i do it every single day...i will run an extra mile if it means i have a little more wiggle room to eat what sounds good that day :)
  • jenneyd
    jenneyd Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    well said 00trayn! And if you are enjoying the workout, what harm is there?!
    When I found that I went over my calorie intake, I hopped right up on the elliptical glider I have in my home, and burned up those calories I was over:laugh: . You earn those extra calories by working out, enjoy them!:wink:
  • Kelly2708
    Options
    Not sure if it's good or bad but I have benn doing the same thing!
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    You need to reboot your thinking. Working out just to eat more is never a good thing and you will not get the results you want. Food should be looked at as FUEL. FUEL your body. Don't live to eat! Eat to Live!
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    i do the opposite- eat to much then have to work it off
  • mt2008
    mt2008 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing! Especially if I know I'm heading out to dinner, want a glass of wine or am eating something someone else made, etc. It gives me some wiggle room. Last night I wanted a snack, didn't really have the calories left in my day for it, so I hopped on the bike for 25 minutes. That gave me enough calories for the snack and plenty leftover. It's a motivator to exercise more in a way!
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    I see no problem with it. at the beginning of the year, I was the same way. Food was my motivation to exercise. I LOVE food and doubt I will ever think of it just as fuel. Who care what motivates you? As long as you're exercising, what difference does it make? It will be enough to pull you through until you actually start looking forward to exercising. It took me about 9 months, but I stuck with it and now I love it!
  • donbogi
    donbogi Posts: 175
    Options
    i do the opposite- eat to much then have to work it off

Sexygenius - I too find myself sometimes overeating - but then I take it up a notch at the gym!

Cheers!
    Don
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Should one work extra hours to buy a new pair of shoes, car or gaming system? Not all the time, but if you need a new Kia, overtime is one way to get there. ProT has a point in that food should be conceptualized as a normal part of life, as fuel and not as a reward- but on occassion this is fine, and exercise is better than no exercise. If it's a cupcake that gets you up and doing it, then so be it.
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    You need to reboot your thinking. Working out just to eat more is never a good thing and you will not get the results you want. Food should be looked at as FUEL. FUEL your body. Don't live to eat! Eat to Live!

I agree! Working out to eat/eating extra and having to workout is a messed up reward system.
  • bhelmreich
    bhelmreich Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I do work out to be able to eat more but I still only eat about half of the exercise calories.
    If I know I am going out to dinner with my friends, I will workout extremely hard in order to make up for extra calories even if I do eat healthy.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options

Funny, while cutting I found I had trouble sticking to my numbers on days I didn't exercise, so I exercised more so I could eat more, and I got exactly the results I wanted.

Food is fuel, and when you workout more, you get to/need to take in more fuel. Wtf is wrong with that?

I eat my exercise calories too, almost every time. Sometimes I stay under, sometimes I go over. eating exactly X number of calories every day isn't realistic.
  • theseus82
    theseus82 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Exercise IS important in keeping our metabolism going as we lose weight. The truth is, our body works against us when we want to lose weight. Losing weight means restricting calories. It means in a slight way, our body is going into starvation mode and depleting its stores of fat.

That's what we want right? To get rid of that fat? Well, our body evolved over a long period where this was a last resort. Before food was plentiful, it helped if humans could store un-used energy as fat for leaner times (like when we were starving for periods of time).

Fast forward to today, and we're essentially evolved to keep the weight on in case we have limited access to food. It help us survive for millennia before farming.

Exercise actually represents very little of the overall calories your body uses. It usually only represents 25% of our body's caloric needs. The reason it's crucial to losing weight is because our body resists losing weight by slowing down the metabolism (and this is where exercise is so important).

Keep up the good work! I sometimes don't want to use my calories that I earn through exercise. As long as you're getting enough calories, nutrients, and minerals to sustain what your body needs (save a few hundred calories short a day to actually LOSE weight), then you're good to go.

If you get exactly what your body burns a day, then you stay exactly where you are on the scale. All successful weight-loss programs comes down to calories in and calories out.

Sorry for the long post!
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    I do the opposite. I never eat exercise calories. I try to eat 1900 a day. Regardless of working out or not. BUT I do workout 6 days a week.