Does anyone know how to watch TV without eating?

Options
12346»

Replies

• Spacegirlley
    Spacegirlley Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have two cockatiels. They render it impossible to eat while they are out, as everything is "THEIRS". I let them out to play and get pats while I watch TV and movies. Means they get snuggle time and I get to watch TV without snacking. I also do the all meals and snacks to be eaten at the table rule.

Otherwise at the movies, I can't go without maltesers. I have learned recently to just get a large drink instead and eat either before or after. I usually go to the movies around dinner time, so incorporating a meal before or after helps to not eat during for me.
  • GummyHuman
    GummyHuman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have two cockatiels. They render it impossible to eat

Up until about there I thought you were talking about cocktails and I was thinking that it was a great idea! :drinker:
  • GummyHuman
    GummyHuman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I see we are in the same school of thought Gummy. I stopped smoking the same way and have solved a lot of my "unsolvable" problems by no longer accepting any form of rationalizing a momentary weakness. Accept it for what it is, your primitive brain trying to trick the conscious part into doing something for short term pleasure. After a while, that part stops trying to tempt you into "bad" behaviors !

Well said! :drinker:
  • salevy
    salevy Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Take up a hobby you can do while watching TV.

I do a lot of knitting and crocheting and I get a lot done while I'm watching TV. I've also done needlepoint, counted cross stitch, crewel embroidery while watching TV.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    I very rarely watch TV, but I turn it on when I'm working out. I have noticed that I have to use both hands when on my Gazelle. Even reaching for the remote to fast forward through an ad is a challenge. If you don't have a free hand, it is harder to snack. So just pick up an old Gazelle for $20 like I did, and do all your TV watching on it. But if it has a squeak like mine does, you might have to turn up the volume.
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    You are welcome to my ironing pile!
    I tend to watch crappy cop shows law and order etc but i am reading the forums at the same time. Keeps my mind off sacking.
  • Spacegirlley
    Spacegirlley Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have two cockatiels. They render it impossible to eat

Up until about there I thought you were talking about cocktails and I was thinking that it was a great idea! :drinker:

Your right, cocktails do sound like an awesome idea! Might keep that one in mind for when the feather babies go to bed :tongue: :drinker:
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Sit down, cover yourself in a blanket, place two dogs on your lap and then you won't be inclinded to get up and go to the fridge or pantry because you certainly don't want to disturb sleeping dogs who are all comfy. And you can't eat with them on your lap because they will be all up in your face or stealing your snack.

This works pretty well with cats too! LOL
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I put a treadmill in front of a TV. I watch something while i walk or jog.

Sitting down in front of the TV is a bad habit, all foods aside.
  • jagged95
    jagged95 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I used to do the same thing, try sitting on a balance ball and just doing ab twists or even moving in a circular movement. It will keep you a little more active and if you are doing that you won't be able to eat.

I've also found that painting my nails is effective as well, unless you want to eat toxic "OPI Lincoln Park After Dark" cookies. They don't taste nearly as good as "I Brake For Manicures" chips.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I realize that question sounds ridiculous, but I really do have a problem watching a TV show (or going to a movie) without munching my way through it.

Even worse, unless I'm working, I tend to want to eat whenever I even sit down!

I know I'm not the only one. Have any of you had this problem in the past and found a solution?

Save some calories for tv time. Find lower calorie snacks to munch on. Air popped pop corn, rice cakes, popchips, raw veggies & hummus, pretzels, fruit, etc.

I personally like to have a nice snack when I sit down to watch tv at night. So, I save 200-300 calories for that each day.

this works for me I just make room in my day for something

I find going to the movies much harder since even at the indie rep cinemas they aren't big on healthy low cal snacks :sad: and the smell of the popcorn can really get to me - We now go mostly right after a meal so it's less tempting
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Eat before you watch TV. If you are full, you won't eat.
  • pepperpat64
    Options
    You are welcome to my ironing pile!
    I tend to watch crappy cop shows law and order etc but i am reading the forums at the same time. Keeps my mind off sacking.

It may keep your mind off sacking, but what about pillaging?

J/K - I'm not a spelling cop, but you gotta admit that was a pretty funny typo. LOL.
  • pepperpat64
    Options
    Thanks, OP, for posting this! I have the exact same problem and came to the forums to look for advice, and here was your post with all these great suggestions. :-)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Out of all of the questions that I have answered 'is this a serious question?' to, this has to be one of the top ones.
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Yes, buy a treadmill or exercise bike, put it in front of tv, and only watch tv while you are on it. Fixed.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I would like to think if I am full I wouldn't eat. Not me. I can have just finished dinner but if hubby comes in with something good I got to have some, doesn't have anything to do with me being full. I can always eat.

LIke Gummy, I can relate to using the same pattern she did with quit smoking. I use to be an overspender. I now know you cant have everything you want, you can buy cheaper stuff, you can have substitutes for some foods like I love strawberry Greek Yogurt about as much as cheese cake. Spend too much, get in debt, remind myself overeat and I will get fat.

I love to eat in front of the TV, just count my calories. I tried the table (my skinny Dad has never eaten anywhere else, might be something to it. Popcorn or yogurt I can do. Cautious with the pizza! 2 pc my limit. Also playing with phone or laptop.
  • pony4us
    pony4us Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    This thread is from 2014. I'm not sure if Sudoku was even a thing in 2014.