Meal replacement bars / drinks.

Options
Are these safe to consume for someone trying to lose weight? My problem is that during school days I don't have much time between classes sometimes to eat, and I don't like eating in class / in front of other people. I need something I can eat / drink quick and still feel full. I was looking around and I found these http://www.healthsnap.ca/nutribar-original-meal-replacement-bars-6-x-65-g-chocolate-fudge-product and again, I don't like eating in class or eating infront of or near other people that I don't know, so taking a lunch to school isn't an option really. Thanks.

Replies

• Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    They are probably okay, there are many kinds of bars that are similar - these to me seem expensive. I should imagine you could buy something similar for less money elsewhere. Supermarkets carry these types of bars.
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I just googled them. here's a link. you might want to read this. I've never heard of them before. personally, I don't use anything like this. I do drink a protein drink that I get from the General Nutrition Center, called a lean shake, that my doctor recommended. here's the link, you can read the article and take the info as you want. but try googling them, there were several articles out there.

www.healthsnap.ca/nutribar-original-meal-replacement-bars-6-x-65-g-chocolate-fudge-product

good luck.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    If it will help you stick to your diet plan and lose, I don't see anything wrong with it. I recommended that my daughter do the same instead of skipping breakfast. I'd rather see her eat a protein bar than go hungry.
  • dethh
    dethh Posts: 9
    Options
    Good replies! Thanks. If anyone else has more recommendations on these types of drinks / bars I'd appreciate that.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Hospitals use things like Boost and Ensure for meal replacements. Boost and Ensure used to manufacture only "shakes" but I think they also come in bars now, too. They're kind of expensive but places like Wal-Mart have generic equivalents. Some come in low carb and high protein shakes.
  • dethh
    Options
    Thanks craftywitch_6, do you know if these types of meal replacements actually keep you full?
  • cornfritter22
    cornfritter22 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Thanks craftywitch_6, do you know if these types of meal replacements actually keep you full?

When I was hospitalized and had no appetitie, they gave me Boost shakes and I remember they were tasty.
    My fiance started drinking them every morning a while back. He stopped because no, they didn't keep him full and they were a little pricey. If they don't put too much strain on your budget, those would probably be good between classes, to take the edge off at least. I can't remember how many calories they had.
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    When I was in college full-time, I also worked 30-35 hours a week. Spent a lot of time driving to and from school and work. I drank Slimfast shakes and ate the bars (this was 20 years ago, so they didn't taste so great) and lost weight. They were quick and easy and filling. But when I had some more time to sit and cook for myself after college, I hadn't learned anything about portion control and the weight came back. So I tried them again, and again, I lost weight. But still learned nothing about portion control. And the weight came back.

My suggestion is to use these products carefully when you're busy, as they are a much better alternative to skipping meals. But remember to watch your portions when you have the time to sit and eat, especially when dining out.
  • magtart
    magtart Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I like Premier Protein chocolate shakes. It has 30g. of protein and only 160 calories.
  • flutterbygrl1
    Options
    I'd be careful with them. For some people, like me, they actually make you feel more hungry. I just keep pre cut veggies with me for times like that. Keep them in a baggie and you can eat them and walk at the same time! It keeps me from snacking on the wrong things while I shop!
  • dethh
    Options
    That's a good idea, not sure why I didn't think of that. I think that's what I'll do if these meal replacement bars fail. I'll try it for a week and see how it goes.
  • 1stephanielynch
    Options
    Quest Bars are my favorite protein bar! GNC sells them as well as bodybuilding.com, and the Quest Nutrition website :) really yummy flavors, lots of fiber, lots of protein, no sugar added, and gluten free!