Need help! Not losing weight!!

Options
2»

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I am in the same situation and I don't know what to do! I began back on my program in the middle of January, got really sick and had to stop all exercise for 3 weeks, and now am back to exercising 5-6 days a week, doing about an hour of cardio and some weight training (only 15-20 minutes a day). I use TDEE-20%, which puts my calories at 1650 per day and I never go above that... I've been doing this for over 2 weeks and barely lost any weight... HELP! Am I eating too much? Too little?

You should start your own thread. It's not really courteous to do this in someone else's thread that is asking for help. :)
  • joyceisblasian
    joyceisblasian Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you actually need to up your caloric intake, having a smaller deficit. I can't imagine your metabolism has slowed down a lot seeing how much physical activity you do, but eating a bit more calories might up your metabolism if it's in need. 1500 calories a day might be a good goal. Don't worry about how much you lose per week, but losing anything at all is a step in the right direction. Perhaps measuring yourself is a better way to go. Scales often don't keep track of body composition. You may have gained quite a bit of muscle, and as you know, that tends to weigh more than fat due to it's density.

Well according to these references, i'm not gaining muscle at all so i don't know!
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Perhaps you actually need to up your caloric intake, having a smaller deficit. I can't imagine your metabolism has slowed down a lot seeing how much physical activity you do, but eating a bit more calories might up your metabolism if it's in need. 1500 calories a day might be a good goal. Don't worry about how much you lose per week, but losing anything at all is a step in the right direction. Perhaps measuring yourself is a better way to go. Scales often don't keep track of body composition. You may have gained quite a bit of muscle, and as you know, that tends to weigh more than fat due to it's density.

Well according to these references, i'm not gaining muscle at all so i don't know!

Did you read through the links? Especially the ones about muscle building/fat loss?

What you need to do is focus on your eating.

1. Get a food scale.

2. If you are going with MFP's #s, change to 0.5lb/week goal.

3. Rely more on measurements versus the scale. The scale fluctuates a lot (up to 10-12lbs at times) due to water retention and food intake.

4. If going with MFP's #s, then rely on the estimates from their burns unless doing steady rate cardio (like running or swimming. No HIIT, boxing, strength training, yoga, etc). For steady rate cardio - then you can use your HRM if you want.

Do this for 6-8 weeks and see if you are still losing inches.
  • joyceisblasian
    Options
    Also, HRMs are notorious for overestimating calorie burns from HIIT and strength training. So it's likely a combination of eating more than you think and burning less than you think.

Open your diary as well please.

Ok so I opened my diary. Um so this is frustrating, if i'm not accurately burning calories with my Heart rate monitor then what is the purpose of it? i got it so i could know exactly how much I was burning because i didn't like the estimates from MFP. I'll get a scale today.

HRMs are good at telling you your heart rate. Originally that's all they did. They're very useful for elite endurance athletes trying to maximize their training.

One day an HRM manufacturer decided to try to turn this into calorie burn. People loved it and bought them in droves. HRMs are good for steady-state cardio if your VO2max is known. They're useless for anything else.

You also should increase your protein goal. For people in a calorie deficit, you maintain the most muscle mass by eating 1-1.4 grams of protein per lb of lean mass.

I generally have over 100 g of protein per day and I weigh 150. How do you change your goals? What about my carbohydrates and fat? Again, I do intense boxing training and need the energy but I also need to lean out. Not sure what direction to go.
  • joyceisblasian
    Options

Did you read through the links? Especially the ones about muscle building/fat loss?

1. Get a food scale.

3. Rely more on measurements versus the scale. The scale fluctuates a lot (up to 10-12lbs at times) due to water retention and food intake.

4. If going with MFP's #s, then rely on the estimates from their burns unless doing steady rate cardio (like running or swimming. No HIIT, boxing, strength training, yoga, etc). For steady rate cardio - then you can use your HRM if you want.

Ok, can you explain more what the TDEE thing is? I am extremely confused and overwhelmed by all this information.
    So if i run, use the stairmaster, bicycle, for my warmup 30minutes I can use my HRM for that. and when I do my training do not use my HRM calories and use MFP calories estimates??
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Also, HRMs are notorious for overestimating calorie burns from HIIT and strength training. So it's likely a combination of eating more than you think and burning less than you think.

Ok so I opened my diary. Um so this is frustrating, if i'm not accurately burning calories with my Heart rate monitor then what is the purpose of it? i got it so i could know exactly how much I was burning because i didn't like the estimates from MFP. I'll get a scale today.

HRMs are good at telling you your heart rate. Originally that's all they did. They're very useful for elite endurance athletes trying to maximize their training.

One day an HRM manufacturer decided to try to turn this into calorie burn. People loved it and bought them in droves. HRMs are good for steady-state cardio if your VO2max is known. They're useless for anything else.

You also should increase your protein goal. For people in a calorie deficit, you maintain the most muscle mass by eating 1-1.4 grams of protein per lb of lean mass.

I generally have over 100 g of protein per day and I weigh 150. How do you change your goals? What about my carbohydrates and fat? Again, I do intense boxing training and need the energy but I also need to lean out. Not sure what direction to go.

You can go to your goals page to change your goals.

Carbs and fat aren't going to hinder your weight loss or leaning out.

Once you redo the 0.5lbs/week, you can go back to the goals page and pick custom to change your macro %s. Here's a more detailed link for that

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

And a lot of your worries/concerns about leaning out is discussed and explained in a few of the links I posted for you.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

1. Get a food scale.

Ok, can you explain more what the TDEE thing is? I am extremely confused and overwhelmed by all this information.
    So if i run, use the stairmaster, bicycle, for my warmup 30minutes I can use my HRM for that. and when I do my training do not use my HRM calories and use MFP calories estimates??

Right now, forget TDEE because you are overwhelmed. It is discussed in the links I posted so when you are able, go ahead and read those links.

Otherwise, just go with MFP's #s.

And cycling is steady rate cardio so yes, you could use your HRM. And for strength training, just go with MFP's #s.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Your actual protein intake looks fine, actually. Just make sure to get about 90+ grams a day regardless of what the MFP goal for that day says.

You should make sure to get 90+ grams of protein and 50+ grams of fat. Don't worry about carbs, they'll just make up the rest. I strongly suggest you start working some veggies and fruits into your diet. Start with things you like and make a conscious effort to fit them in somewhere.
  • jonnythan
    Options

1. Get a food scale.

You should really read through the links Pika provided on the first page. All of those questions, and many many more, are answered there.
  • joyceisblasian
    Options

Your actual protein intake looks fine, actually. Just make sure to get about 90+ grams a day regardless of what the MFP goal for that day says.

You should make sure to get 90+ grams of protein and 50+ grams of fat. Don't worry about carbs, they'll just make up the rest. I strongly suggest you start working some veggies and fruits into your diet. Start with things you like and make a conscious effort to fit them in somewhere.

Ok, so I read through those links that you sent me and WOW all that information was just a lot.
    I decided not to go with the TDEE system, only because it's a bunch of numbers and mathematics that I just cannot comprehend right now. Also, I don't have that information to input.

I decided to change my goals/macros. So now I'm set to lose 1lb a week, which upped my daily net calorie intake to 1500 as oppose to 1300 (my original net calorie intake) I adjusted my macros to 50% Carbs (189.0 g), 30% Protein (113.0 g), and 20% Fats (34.0 g).

According to this article I read http://www.livestrong.com/article/92266-boxing-training-diet/ they recommended those macros for boxers.

It says, "Carbohydrates are going to be the mainstay of your nutrition plan. Your carbohydrate intake should be 50 to 65 percent of your total daily consumed calories. Fat will burn in the presence of carbohydrates, and this high carbohydrate consumption keeps boxers extremely lean."

From my understanding and according to paleo and or atkins style diets - carbohydrates contributes to weight gain and/or the inability to burn fat. Therefore, I have been trying to keep my carbs (net carbs) low to optimize fat burning so my body will burn the fat. I do understand that I need the carbs for energy and glycogen but I feel 189g of carbs is kind of high and 34 g of fat is low. But that article suggests that boxers are lean because their diet is mosty made up of carbohydrates. I want to believe them, because most boxers are very lean. Some are 6'2 and weight 145. I'm a female, 5'6 and weight 150. I have a lot of body fat on me but I want to go to a lower body weight class.

Right now I am considered a Junior Middleweight – 147lb to 154lb and I am trying to be a Lightweight – 130lb to 135lb.

I have until July to make it there which is still enough time, but I need to get my nutrition in check right now because it's already the middle of February and I've got 5 months to lose 20lbs.

Now here's my other question, if my new net calorie goal is 1500 a day, should I increase or decrease my net calories on days when I'm training twice a day? Today is my rest day, so should I still eat 1500 calories today or stay at 1300. Or should I be eating more than the 1500 cals on my intense exercise days and 1500 on my off day.

Sorry for all the questions.
    I have asked my coached about losing weight and you know he just keeps saying work out, eat right and use the sauna suit and yada yada and abolene on your stomach plus lots of running and ab work. Like I said, I'm doing it but havent seen changes but I'm hoping now with these modifications I can see some pounds droppings.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Don't focus on carbs. Focus on protein and fat. Those should be the core of your diet when losing weight. Carbs just make up whatever is left.
  • joyceisblasian
    Options
    Don't focus on carbs. Focus on protein and fat. Those should be the core of your diet when losing weight. Carbs just make up whatever is left.

Ok.. so then what should my macros be? And you didn't answer my other question.
  • joyceisblasian
    Options

JUST FOR THE SAKE OF CURIOUSITY I decided to test this thing if it was true (in my case). I did about 50 minutes of my boxing training and my HRM told me I only burned 300 calories. When I looked at MFP estimates for 50 minutes, it was over 500 calories.

That is why I never used their estimates because they seemed way too high for me. When I say on days that I train two a days for boxing, I am burning around 700-1000 calories depending on the workouts my coach has us do. And those are calculated by my HRM to give me that number. Whenever I use MFP estimations they are way to high, so for the sake of my knowledge, I'm going to keep using my HRM to tell me how many calories I'm burning throughout my training.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Sorry thus thread got lost in the others. I will come back to answer those questions later.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Ok.. so then what should my macros be? And you didn't answer my other question.

I believe I answered this in another post:

"You should make sure to get 90+ grams of protein and 50+ grams of fat. Don't worry about carbs, they'll just make up the rest. I strongly suggest you start working some veggies and fruits into your diet. Start with things you like and make a conscious effort to fit them in somewhere."

MFP adjusts your macro targets up as your calories increase, which is fine but confusing. Focus on getting at least 90 grams of protein and 50 grams of fat a day. More is fine. 100 grams of protein is probably better, actually.

Carbs don't contribute to inability to burn fat or weight gain. Calories are what matter for weight gain/loss. The protein will help you retain muscle and the fat will help you feel full and support hormone levels and neurological function.

Your body will burn fat as long as you are in a calorie deficit. Don't get hung up on details, especially unimportant ones like "net carbs" (which is a meaningless term anyway).

Boxers are lean because they train hard and keep careful control of their calorie intake, and eat plenty of protein. The importance of carbs is really performance. Carbs are used for energy. If you're burning a ton of calories training, you will generally find it's better for performance to eat back those "extra" calories primarily as carbs.

For example, imagine a typical dinner for you consists of chicken, avocado, and broccoli. However, today you ran a 10k and so you have an extra 600 calories to eat to meet your goal. Instead of eating more chicken at dinner, add a big bowl of pasta or rice.

For example, yesterday you hit good nutrition goals: 126g protein, 71g fat, 122g carbs. You logged no exercise and got 1500 calories. Great. The day before that, you burned 720 calories from exercise and got 106g protein, 111g fat, 142g carbs. Not bad. Personally, I would have tried to get a bit less fat and a few more carbs; something like 106g protein, 70g fat, 200g carbs. A few less cookies but toss in some rice or whatever. Not a big deal; I'm just using this as an example.

1) Hit your calorie goal consistently
    2) Get the minimum protein, or more, every day
    3) Get the minimum fat, or more, every day
    4) Eat several servings of vegetables and fruits, every day
    5) Exercise

Does this help?
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You're not actually gaining muscle mass. Intense exercise causes the muscles to swell temporarily. This is often called "the pump." Combine this with small decreases in body fat and this explains what you see. You really can't gain muscle mass in a calorie deficit.

So I'm not gaining muscles? that sucks

Tell me about it. :laugh:

It's unlikely you would be gaining muscle in a calorie deficit anyway, especially when doing so much cardio.