hair loss/ shedding.

Options

Replies

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? Are you getting enough protein?
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try the castor oil! Also heard of athan oil and coconut oil.

It sucks, and feels like a dark and lonely place to be when you lose hair.. Good luck to you all.

Just in case you didn't know this, you can find castor oil in the laxative department at walmart or the grocery store. That is it's main use, but it's also for hair conditioning. When his grandma told me this, I googled it, and low and behold, I found oodles of info on how it is good for hair loss and to help grow hair back.

Wow!!! I'm really excited to buy it now!! Thank you!
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Yes I am!! I did blood work and turns out I'm anemic ( low iron)

I am now taking
    - biotin- 10000 mcg
    - silica
    - multivitamin
    - omega 3
    - iron
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I did one time from a post traumatic stress reaction that got too severe for me. It lasted for a month. My hair was falling out in handfuls and on my pillow when I woke up and shedding everywhere and in the shower. Then it stopped completely. All my hair grew back in. I got my hair cut to help it look even and grow in nicely. I have thick, beautiful, healthy hair again, growing it long now.

I was not anemic, but I boosted my iron anyway. I went to my doctor. I had tests. She said it was stress and that I needed to manage my stress better.

And that was the most important thing that I managed my stress. And I got a good hair dresser to help me take good gentle care of my hair. She also ended up helping me with the stress because we talked and related and cried together.

I use living proof shampoo and conditioner.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Protein deficiency or Thyroid problem.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

I am now taking
    - biotin- 10000 mcg
    - silica
    - multivitamin
    - omega 3
    - iron

Those are all good things. Also enough calories and protein.
  • Zvijerijer
    Zvijerijer Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Check your iron levels, I had the same problem while dieting due to anemia once.Turned out my iron levels were really low and my hair recovered very soon after starting therapy.
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options

I am now taking
    - biotin- 10000 mcg
    - silica
    - multivitamin
    - omega 3
    - iron

Whats silica? great advice here, suffered with hair loss for years, so much so I can no longer wear my hair down without my scalp showing :sad:

Edit: what everyone put their protein up to?
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

I am now taking
    - biotin- 10000 mcg
    - silica
    - multivitamin
    - omega 3
    - iron

Whats silica? great advice here, suffered with hair loss for years, so much so I can no longer wear my hair down without my scalp showing :sad:

Edit: what everyone put their protein up to?

Around 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. Or 100 is probably fine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    My guess would be that you aren't consuming enough calories for one...you probably cut out a lot of fat from your diet for two (dietary fat doesn't make you fat and is a very essential nutrient)...and probably don't get nearly enough protein for three.

Basically mal-nourishment; you're not getting proper nutrition. Barring that, go see a doctor and have some blood work done to see if you have any other medical issues like a thyroid problem or something.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I became seriously anemic when I was in high school after I decided to be a "vegetarian" and go on a "diet" (I clearly had NO clue what I was doing). Once I started taking vitamins, the iron supplements my doctor gave me and started eating like I did before, my hair was just as good as before. Your hair should be OK if you follow dr.'s orders :smile:

For anyone else: Do NOT take excessive iron unless your dr tells you need to after getting bloodwork; the amount in a regular multi in usually enough for most women.
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I lost about 50% of my hair after about 6 months of being in a deficit. I started taking vitamins, plus an extra Biotin supplement. I also bought a Bosley Thickening Treatment system from my hairdresser (shampoo, conditioner, leave in treatment). I also got my hair cut. My doctor said it would work itself out after about 6 months, plus hair grows faster in the summer.
  • frangrann
    frangrann Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I am loosing hair too. I have thick hair but I see it everywhere and my pony tail seems much smaller to me.
    I asked my MD and he blew it off.....I wondered if its the symvastatin (high cholesterol), my diet, my age, being anemic......or a combination of all of these. I know after having kids the hormone changes cause hair loss so I figure menopause is the same kind of thing. ( I know you guys are not this age yet .)

The question is how to stop it and is it growing back? I take a multi vit but will try the biotin too. Thanks, and good luck to all.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Yes, I experienced it about 4 months into my weight loss process and it lasted about 6 months. I have so much hair that losing some didn't bother me although finding my hair everywhere was very annoying.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    The doctor said she is anemic. Anemia causes hair loss.

When I experienced hair loss it was from stress. I was not anemic. I was eating a lot of protein and 2300 calories a day. All my tests were good, normal, healthy. It occurred at a time when I was having a serious PTSD reaction with a very real trigger of it.
  • Jade0529
    Jade0529 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound strange but did you change your shampoo or other hair care products?

I changed shampoo once and I thought it was good for my hair (it had Argan oil in it) and my hair was falling out a lot. I have super thick hair and I could feel and see that it was getting less and less. Well I stopped using shampoo altogether and just used conditioner. My hair stopped shedding. Another weird thing, maybe it's hormones but my former stick straight hair became wavy. I haven't had waves in my hair since I was a toddler
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I am experiencing hair loss but this is most likely because of my migraine medication.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    This is going to sound strange but did you change your shampoo or other hair care products?

I changed shampoo once and I thought it was good for my hair (it had Argan oil in it) and my hair was falling out a lot. I have super thick hair and I could feel and see that it was getting less and less. Well I stopped using shampoo altogether and just used conditioner. My hair stopped shedding. Another weird thing, maybe it's hormones but my former stick straight hair became wavy. I haven't had waves in my hair since I was a toddler

I also don't use shampoo every time I wash my hair. I wash my hair a couple times a week and only use shampoo about once a week. I like Living Proof (it is high priced, though) from Sephora.

Also, same for me, my hair became wavy instead of straight. It still seems to vary from day to day. And also the hair cut I have does result in increasing the wave a bit. In my current profile pic my hair was blow dried straight (I took this photo yesterday).
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I had very, thick wonderful hair. I lost weight, I took vitamins--everything was fine. I didn't change anything in my diet or my vitamins. My hair started falling out like mad. Right and left all over the place, the shower, the bed, the car, the floor. By the hand-full.

The cause? SEVERE stress. I've got the stress better managed and my hair is getting back to normal.

Also, for anyone considering overnight oil treatments you can use a shower cap or you can buy processing caps, I think they're like 10¢ each like $2.99 for 30 or something like that.
  • debbiesweety
    Options
    I had hair loss after an illness 3 years ago, I'm fine now and the hair that is growing back is very curly and not in a good way! I used to have very straight thin hair. I still think I'm shedding. Taking supplements of all sorts. Maybe I will try the oil, but I really don't get enoughrotein.