Replies

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I couldn't imagine not listening to music while running
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I like running with music. Or with the zombies run! app. Sometimes I listen to podcasts too. I like to listen to "This American Life" when i run. But I need to be completely distracted or I get bogged down in my thoughts and start worrying about work or stuff I need to do at home.
  • aluethi1
    aluethi1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Whenever I work out in any way I have to have music or an audiobook playing. Otherwise I get bored really fast and give up quickly.
  • snbouchard81
    snbouchard81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I love to exercise (including running when I am motivated to try C25K again) to audiobooks. Currently I am listening to the Janet Evanovich books. The only downside for me is when something funny happens and everyone looks at me (I realize I must have laughed out loud--oops). :-)
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    On the treadmill.. With music or I'm certain I'll die from boredom.

Outside no music because I'm focusing in form and breathing and pace, dogs, cars, ice, snow, the Amish, that weird dude pissing on that tree.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I HAVE to have music when I'm running on the treadmill or using any cardio machine. I am fine to run outside without music.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    If I'm running on the treadmill I watch a TV show on my iPad...so I'm listening to something. If I'm trail running, I don't run with anything. A lot of mountain bike trails cross the hiking trail and I need to be aware. Plus, birds and nature. If I'm running on a paved trail, I usually listen to music. But I don't have it on super loud so I can hear other people coming.

I've been listening to Fun. and Lumineers. What I listen to doesn't really alter how I run, so I just shuffle.
  • 6ronXtreme9
    6ronXtreme9 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    if u run with music then u will burn calories if u run without music then still u will burn calories. :)
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    If I'm on the treadmill....most definitely need something to occupy my time. So either the TV or music.

If it's a short run outside (anything under 6 miles) I go sans music. But I listen to music or an audiobook on my long training runs, not because I get bored, I need to suppress that annoying voice in my head that's telling me I'm crazy and I should quit. I'm still super aware of my surroundings though, my volume isn't all that high.
  • scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I don't run.

I do listen to music.
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I live in Alaska and there are quite a few beautiful days. There are also nice people on the trails with me. Most days I would rather share "hello's" and "go runner go's" and listen to the sounds of nature.

Besides there are some scary people out there. I prefer to stay aware of my surroundings.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    If I'm trail running it's really peaceful and cathartic to go without music. If it's a crowded park or treadmill I like music.
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Up until two years ago, I always ran without music, outside that is. I loved hearing the sounds around me, more the birds than the cars. Then I got an iPhone app for running and run with that while listening to music. Music is varied from hip-hop, to top 40, to heavy metal.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    When I'm on a treadmill, music always. No ifs, ands, or buts. When I run outside, never never never. For one, I want to be safe and make sure I know what's going on around me. For two, if I'm running on trails, I enjoy all the little sights and sounds going on around me. The rustling of trees, or the panting of the doggies as they go by, the squirrels in the leaves even the sounds of the ice chunks bonking into each other as they float down the river. There are so many great sights and sounds that would be lost with ear plugs.

When I'm cycling, everything changes. Runners with headphones are the biggest ****ing danger there is. They don't pay a stitch of attention to what they're doing - no matter how much they THINK they are. (And every one of them thinks they're the exception to the rule.) Runners with earplugs can't hold their lines on the trail. They don't hear you approaching from behind, or hear the "To your left" or "behind you" or whatever else. They don't look behind them when they slow down or change lanes or turn around. They're oblivious to what's going on around them, especially behind them. And, right up until there's an accident, they don't particularly care.

But when I'm running, I prefer to enjoy the sounds of what's around me. It's its own music and can be way more motivating than the same old stuff on the iPod.