Does/did losing weight change your personality?

Options
I've been wondering this for the last few weeks, so why not ask in the best place possible?

Did losing weight change your personality in any way? In any way at all, from happier, more confident (which I hope to become), calmer etc? I'm interested to know. Thanks!

Replies

• Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I lost 34lbs last year. I was so happy and I felt better about myself. I think the confidence I gained allowed me to relax more and not worry as much about what others may think of me. Unfortunately I gained 20lbs back and I totally see the difference in my personality now. I think I feel even worse about myself but I'm back on track:smile:
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    More relaxed, more confident, and less likely to allow others to treat me like shiz. Once you learn your own worth, you're less likely to allow others to devalue you.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    It didn't CHANGE my personality, but it brought out some of my more "hidden" characteristics. I am more confident and, according to one friend, carry myself differently. I don't think I'm happier because I lost weight; I think I was able to lose weight becasue I was happier.
  • lovecrescendo
    lovecrescendo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I always thought losing weight would make me a lot more confident but I was dead wrong. I spent so much time focusing on how I hated my body at the moment, but it would get better because I was losing weight.. I've lost 15 pounds so far and my self confidence has never been so low in my life. And it's for no other reason than that I didn't take time to learn to love myself and my body FIRST. So what I decided to do was write out a list of all the personality traits that I visualize myself having and also things I imagine myself doing when I'm at my UGW. For example:
    - Confident
    - Puts effort into appearance (hair, clothing etc.)
    - Has great personal hygiene
    - Loves hanging out with friends (instead of staying home because I think I look so terrible)
    - Easily flirts with guys
    - Has clear skin (I have bad acne right now)

Stuff like that... so I wrote down all of the things that I've imagined myself being like when I'm 'skinny', and I am making a conscious effort every day to become more like that. Taking better care of myself, washing my face every morning and night, styling my hair more, taking baby steps towards actually holding eye contact with a cute guy I see at the mall rather than running the other way... and I'm starting to find that I'm becoming a happier, healthier person. The weight loss has started becoming a lot easier, but it's also just me starting to accept and love myself that's really making the difference. :)
  • I really find that since I've started to really focus on losing weight that my personality has been changing. I don't know if I am becoming meaner or what but I feel like I don't have patience for the same things any longer. Before I would feel sad and down since I could never find anyone to go to the gym with me, go walking or other activities but now I prefer being alone. I go when I want and don't have to wait for anyone. Also, I find that I don't put up with the same things. Like before I was ok with being treated poorly but losing weight has given me this new sense of strength and self-respect that I didn't have before. I don't know if I am becoming more of a BEEP but I like feeling this strong and confident. Sometimes I still feel like crying and that I will never reach my goal and lonely but even if this journey leads me to a person I am not completely familiar with or comfortable with I will continue my journey and find out where it will lead :D
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    No .I'm just a thinner *kitten* now.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I believe that losing wt. has made me more confident, have more self-esteem, and calmer in public. I find that people aren't staring at me due to my wt. They notice me for who I am.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I have much more self confidence, and I'm much more comfortable in my body. I also tend to dress up, and dress more fashionable.
  • birdiecs
    birdiecs Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    No I've always been full of rainbows and puppy farts.
  • jas14196
    jas14196 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yeah now im ****ing sikkunt mate.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    No. I'm sure some people were disappointed I went from chunky and rude to less chunky and rude but, alas, that's life.
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have become a more happy/ spiritual person since I started my journey and I am a lot more positive too.
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I really find that since I've started to really focus on losing weight that my personality has been changing. I don't know if I am becoming meaner or what but I feel like I don't have patience for the same things any longer. Before I would feel sad and down since I could never find anyone to go to the gym with me, go walking or other activities but now I prefer being alone. I go when I want and don't have to wait for anyone. Also, I find that I don't put up with the same things. Like before I was ok with being treated poorly but losing weight has given me this new sense of strength and self-respect that I didn't have before. I don't know if I am becoming more of a BEEP but I like feeling this strong and confident. Sometimes I still feel like crying and that I will never reach my goal and lonely but even if this journey leads me to a person I am not completely familiar with or comfortable with I will continue my journey and find out where it will lead :D

You aren't becoming a mean person you are just more assertive and confident now =]
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    same as before
  • MJ_Watson
    MJ_Watson Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It did for me. I don't know that it's necessarily /looking better/ that caused the change. It was more something that came from within. Before, I always felt powerless. I was stuck in this body I hated, and I didn't know how to "fix" it. I didn't think I could. But once I started losing, I began to realize that I DID have the power to change how I looked and how others perceived me.

I used to feel like "What's the point?" about things like dressing up or putting on make-up because I thought people would percieve me as this fat chick who was trying too hard. I'd always wanted red hair, but I was terrified of attracting attention to myself. Whenever I felt eyes on me, I thought they were for sure thinking about my weight. But now, even though I'm far from my goal, I'm not afraid to do those things. When I see people looking, I'm a lot more likely to assume they're thinking something positive. And I actually LIKE my body now, even if it's not "perfect."

My body isn't the enemy anymore. I can make it smaller if I want, I can dress it up however I want, I can use it to walk long distances or run or pick up heavy things, and there's nothing to hold me back, because my body is MINE. It's made me realize that I'M the one in control of my life. I can be the person I want NOW, not in some nebulous future where I have a great bikini body. That was a huge confindence boost for me, and it really changed a lot about how I related to the world around me.
  • mr_boinapalli
    Options
    Of course .. it will make you happy .. (as long as you see how far you have come and not how far you have to go ) ..
    and confidence => comes with exercise (not with diet only based weight loss)
  • MysteriousLdy
    MysteriousLdy Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Losing weight makes me confident..and get more looks from opposite sex too
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Bumped
  • achonator
    achonator Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Losing weight helped me to:

-be happier
    -be more confident
    -I'm alot more energetic
    -It strenghtened my will and determination

I can tell you that losing weight basicly shaped my current personality.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I'm a lot more focused on my goals (both weight/strength related and for work)
    When it comes to drinking/going out I'm definitely less fun, cause I rather hit the pillows early to get a good session in the next day, but I'm more fun when it comes to being active. Someone saying anything to do with being active (hiking/biking/ trying a new sports) I'm game!
    I'm a lot more confident! (not having to worry about the way I look anymore makes public speaking and such things a lot easier)