What drive your fitness goals?

I do not believe in God. Not in the created in our image, heavenly father, 10 commandments, splitting the sea walking on water sense of the word anyways. I am a firm believer in science. And like most, this also means a firm disbeliever in the existence of God. As a child and teen, this had little effect on my sense of self. But as an adult my interest in science, particularly astronomy, have left me with a lack luster outlook on life.

Carl Sagan said it best -“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

But now consider where this places me. Without the purpose that God offers those who believe I become simply one of multitudes of human beings populating a gigantic rock amidst an infinite expanse of space. Am I the only one holding this position who is having difficulty finding purpose to life? To what end does anything a person does, matter against the almost unimaginable breadth of space and time?

This was, until very recently, my outlook on life. And boy did it leave me depressed. My only refuge was in my family. By some uncontrollably biological impulse, I have no choice but to love them unconditionally. I could not, would not, ever give up on myself for it would mean too, giving up on them.

To some this might appear as light at the end of the tunnel. But what about me...How can I be a good husband and father without my own positive outlook on life? I can't. The depression it creates extends to all my interactions. I've said I have difficulty making friends because I'm an introvert when in reality I think "what difference did having/not having friendship matter in the end". I had, and still have, difficulty finding joy in most activities, particularly large social gatherings, because it left me feeling like the butt of a cosmic joke.

But I think there's hope...

Something that has always brought me joy is art. This began with video production as a youth, evolved into interactive media as a young man, and programming as a professional. The way a physical and emotional response can be achieved from interaction with an elegant set of 1's and 0's is one of the most beautiful things to me. but...bringing joy to someone(s) thru my own creations, a goal of mine that has still never been fully realized, might just be the most fulfilling experience I could imagine.

I think that is what I must cling to...that will be my salvation...that is what has convinced me to turn my life around. I feel now that I will achieve that goal. And for me in this point in my life, that begins with fitness. I must first prove to myself that I have what it take to push myself beyond what I thought I could accomplish. Only then can I begin my journey on my true goal. Art.

So now I ask you...what drives your fitness goals?

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    The desire to be as awesome as I can be.

Is this what you were asking?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Self love.

:bigsmile:
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Self love.

:bigsmile:

Self-love is the best love.
  • My two sports, mostly, and aesthetics a bit. Both sports are significantly easier if you're light-but-very-powerful. One doesn't mind what you look like as long as you can do it (though you do have to wear very little), but the other requires looking the part.
  • dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    Getting my life back! Separated from husband of almost 16 years...I am ready to find me again and LIVE!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Cliffs? Or can someone please explain to me what that was all about and why the OP had to repeatedly slam belief in God to ask just to ask why people want to get into shape?
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Cliffs? Or can someone please explain to me what that was all about and why the OP had to repeatedly slam belief in God to ask just to ask why people want to get into shape?

Because the Universe.

DYEDeep thoughts on a Saturday night?
  • iAmStarStuff27
    iAmStarStuff27 Posts: 109 Member
    Slam belief in god?...I did nothing of the sorts. If anything I exposed my jealously of purpose that the belief in god brings.

BTW, I like the climbing pic. I'm an avid climber myself.
  • LanceKarcher
    LanceKarcher Posts: 43 Member
    Carl Sagan did believe in the existence of God.
  • MysteriousLdy
    MysteriousLdy Posts: 306 Member
    Vanity, healthy lifestyle
  • Lance- In the possibility of a god. Right?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    General rock star status.
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    I also reject the fantasy of god, or anything of that nature. But, it instead of making me feel that life has no purpose, it has provided me with the joy and happiness of knowing that I can and will be the mistress of my destiny. Yes, sh$t happens, but how I respond to it is the important part. It is freedom.

What drives my fitness goals? Learning new things, improving myself, and sometimes being able to share it with others I care about. Right now, it is weight lifting. Last decade, it was tennis. The decade before it was ballroom dancing. It doesn't matter how good I am or get, it is about learning something new, improving month by month.

I guess, for me, I look to myself for purpose, and I accept my limitations and shortcomings just as I accept my strengths and talents.

Deep for a sat evening!

:flowerforyou:
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    I must first prove to myself that I have what it take to push myself beyond what I thought I could accomplish. Only then can I begin my journey on my true goal. Art.

OP, please consider this quote from Ira Glass:

ira-glass-quotes.jpg

And this video with Neil DeGrasse Tyson:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D05ej8u-gU

(BTW, I thrilled to Carl Sagan's Cosmos series before you were born.)

What drives my fitness goals? As I say in my profile, "To better run the ultramarathon known as caregiving." Subsumed within that is the need to keep myself healthy enough to maintain my own artistic pursuits -- not in any kind of finished, "masterpiece" way, but in small ways every day, however I can. It's that daily practice, in whatever form, that keeps me sane and that maintains my sense of purpose.

Art is not at the end of my fitness journey. My art journey and my fitness journey (and my caregiver journey) are tightly intertwined. They have to be. I'm an explorer (even when homebound), which means that I see what I can do, every day, regardless of constraint.

Speaking of art -- and science -- I strongly recommend checking out Symphony of Science (http://symphonyofscience.com/). Here's "A Glorious Dawn" with Sagan and Hawking. Enjoy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Carl Sagan did believe in the existence of God.

Also Albert Einstein, Abraham Lincoln, Pascal, etc. Immanual Kant wrote a mathematical type proof to support the existence of God.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    For me it's the opposite. If I thought my life had some preordained purpose decided by someone else, I would want to bother with life at all.

Also, I was reading the Hitchhiker's Guide today and got to the part where he says, "isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"

OP, it sounds like what you're saying is that if your current actions don't have some everlasting effect on the whole universe or are part of some Grand Scheme then it's all pointless.

Isn't it enough to be alive now and enjoy finding our way and our place in this universe?
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    I want to be able to pull myself through a hole in the roof or ceiling.

OP, It's Saturday night - have a beer or stop drinking, whichever applies. You're thinking too much.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Our green ball is a pantheon of life in the midst of a void. Yay! How precious and sweet and unique the most mundane or painful aspects of our existence. Scientific practice is a uniquely human quality and gives us truth and beauty. How incredible is that amongst an infinity of rocks, gas and nothingness

My fitness goals are driven be a desire to feel and look good, and to be able to do things - to test myself against the world and achieve new things.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    I want to wear pretty clothes. I've never been small enough to be able to walk into any store and know they're going to have something in my size. I don't care if it's selfish, I don't care if it's vain...I want to look and feel pretty. At my current size, it's just not happening. I don't have tons and tons of money or time to shop around and try a bunch of things on.

I'm also doing it for my daughter. I want to live to see her grow up. I want her to have a healthy mom.