Vegans & Vegetarians! Where do you get your protein?

Options

Replies

• MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's sprouted rye bread has some great macros and protein.
    Hemp protein powders
  • PinkDeath616
    Options
    GMO free/Vegan Protein Powder and Tofu, Organic beans, nuts/seeds, and dairy free (usually coconut or almond) greek yogurt.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter
    Seitan
    Beans
    Pea Protein
    Eggs
  • Courage1895
    Options
    Superfoods like Hemp but also beans and almond milk are extremely helpful towards reaching my protein goal as a vegan 99% of the time.
  • liftsforchocolate
    Options
    Not vegan but:

-hemp protein
    -hemp, chia seeds
    -pea protein powder
    -spinach/kale
    -edamame
    -nuts, nut butters
    -bee pollen has some
    -greek yogurt
    -cottage cheese
    -whey
    -quinoa
    -oatmeal
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think you need to watch your protein intake unless you are trying to build muscle.

Protein is important for satiety... feeling full. Eat a low protein diet, you will feel hungry all the time and overeat.

I eat eggs, nuts, nut butters, beans, lentils, quinoa, chia seeds, Vega protein powder (plant based) and dairy (yogurt, cheese).
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of Dhal (Indian Lentil Curry) and various bean chillies and I often add a can of beans or chickpeas to my salads
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think you need to watch your protein intake unless you are trying to build muscle.

Protein is important for satiety... feeling full. Eat a low protein diet, you will feel hungry all the time and overeat.

Protein is also important for your body to function even if you aren't trying to build muscle. Parts of you are wearing out and need to be rebuilt or replaced constantly. and protein is vital for that.

According to the National Academies of Science, “all enzymes, membrane carriers, blood transport molecules, the intracellular matrices, hair, fingernails, serum albumin, keratin, and collagen are proteins, as are many hormones and a large part of membranes. Moreover, the constituent amino acids of protein act as precursors of many coenzymes, hormones, nucleic acides, and other molecules essential for life.” http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10490&page=590

The RDA is 0.8 g of protein per kilogram of body weight. (To convert from pounds to kilograms, divide by 2.2.)

Whoops. Just did my own math, based on that formula, and I need more protein! I had been thinking I was doing good by beating the RDA of 46 g for adult women, but that would only meet the .8 g/kg recommendation for someone who weighs 126.5 pounds. It's hard to believe that 126.5 pounds is the average actual weight of U.S. women. It must be based on what would be the average healthy weight of U.S. women.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    learning to go vegetarian

meatless meat

peanut butter

protein powder

salad

wheat

some dairy ( lactose intolerant ) need to try to avoid milk and mozza cheese ect

egg whites

nuts
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Nuts, beans, tempeh, tofu, quinoa...
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I guess it mostly depends on your preferences. This works for me:

I like to eat about 100 grams of protein a day.
    If I make a seitan loaf on the weekend I usually meet my macros. I have a baked seitan recipe that has fresh ginger, garlic, thyme, sage, braggs, nutritional yeast and fried onions in it and it's baked... Message me for the recipe if you're interested.
    Then I supplement with nutritional yeast, chili, curried lentil soup, broccoli, kale, a few nuts and buffalo tofu:)

I find that sometimes I am too lazy to prepare the seitan and tofu, at those times I do go out for sushi or I buy greek yogurt or eat other vegetarian sources of protein . Another option, though, is to buy processed vegan foods or make shakes with a vegan protein powder (gag!).

Hope this helps:)
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Soy, seitan, tempah.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options

Protein is also important for your body to function even if you aren't trying to build muscle. Parts of you are wearing out and need to be rebuilt or replaced constantly. and protein is vital for that.

According to the National Academies of Science, “all enzymes, membrane carriers, blood transport molecules, the intracellular matrices, hair, fingernails, serum albumin, keratin, and collagen are proteins, as are many hormones and a large part of membranes. Moreover, the constituent amino acids of protein act as precursors of many coenzymes, hormones, nucleic acides, and other molecules essential for life.” http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=10490&page=590

The RDA is 0.8 g of protein per kilogram of body weight. (To convert from pounds to kilograms, divide by 2.2.)

Whoops. Just did my own math, based on that formula, and I need more protein! I had been thinking I was doing good by beating the RDA of 46 g for adult women, but that would only meet the .8 g/kg recommendation for someone who weighs 126.5 pounds. It's hard to believe that 126.5 pounds is the average actual weight of U.S. women. It must be based on what would be the average healthy weight of U.S. women.
    A very interesting thread about the RDA recommendations for protein...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/869015-fundamental-flaws-with-rda-recommendations-for-protein

Also another great thread about protein intake...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/823505-research-on-protien-intake
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Legumes and whole grains. There's no reason why protein should be a problem.
  • condoleezachiapet
    Options
    A very interesting thread about the RDA recommendations for protein...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/869015-fundamental-flaws-with-rda-recommendations-for-protein

Also another great thread about protein intake...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/823505-research-on-protien-intake

Bookmarked. Great links! Thanks.
  • ironbutterfly_
    Options
    Bump
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Food that's where I get mine from

What a wonderful, supportive and informative answer. Cudos.
  • helen8328
    helen8328 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Green vegetables usually have high amounts of protein as do nuts seeds and a lot of grains such as lentils, soy & pinto beans. Quorn products are made from protein too.

I also have a hemp protein powder if I feel I haven't had enough or on days I go to the gym. Oatbran also has more protein in it than normal oats, and fills you up for longer. Sometimes I blend an avocado with the oatbran and as avacado scan have up to 10g of protein in them it's a good start to your protein goal.
  • tenatroy1
    Options
    Nuts, beans, seeds, tofu, soy milk, almond milk, veggies. I've been doing this (vegan) for like two weeks and any cravings I had are gone. I'm going to get some nutritional yeast next check and see if it really does taste like cheese!