at goal weight but unhappy with body fat

Hi everyone, I've been overwhelmed by conflicting advice so I thought I'd see what you say here. I'm 5'4, 115 lbs. My goal weight was 116. My heaviest weight was close to 160, maybe 157 or 158. I lost the weight over about a year and a half, through periods of strict restriction and calorie counting, and periods of not-so-strict, no calorie counting, just trying to eat healthier. And cardio with a little strength training, but not enough. I hit my goal about a month and a half ago, and slowly upped my calories over a few weeks to my maintenance of 1,760. I also added in more strength training since then. Right now I do strength 3x a week. I alternate between 2 upper body days/1 lower body day one week, and then next week I'll do 2 lower body/1 upper body. I make sure I lift heavy enough that 10 reps is very difficult. No 3 pound dumbbell stuff for me. I also do moderate to high intensity cardio 5x a week.

OK, so now that you have my story, my problem is that I'm still unhappy with my flabbiness. Of course it's nothing terrible, just some stubborn fat on my inner thighs, underarms, a little on the belly, calves, armpits. I want to have a super lean, fit body, not "skinny fat," like I am now. I know you can't spot reduce fat. Should I cut the calories down again to lose this fat, maybe to 1,500 a day? And continue/increase my strength training to maintain my muscle? Or keep eating at maintenance? I feel like eating at maintenance won't allow me to lose any more fat. Should I tweak my macros to include more protein? MFP has them at 50% carb, 30% fat, 20% protein. Up to this point I haven't worked very hard at hitting them, I usually eat too much fat, not enough protein.

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    I'd maybe be tempted to do the opposite of that. If your not happy with your results from weight loss, you could try bulking to build some muscle and then cutting again?
  • allicat1215
    allicat1215 Posts: 11 Member
    I'd maybe be tempted to do the opposite of that. If your not happy with your results from weight loss, you could try bulking to build some muscle and then cutting again?
    so upping calories for a period to gain muscle, then cutting to lose fat?
  • protein321
    protein321 Posts: 16 Member
    Exactly. If you want to lean bulk then aim for about 200-300 calories above maintenance calories. You will gain the least fat along with some muscle when lean bulking.
  • billpriday
    billpriday Posts: 5 Member
    You are right that you can't spot reduce. Cut your carbs, increase your daily protein to at least 1 gram per pound of body weight. You don't have to lift heavy unless you want o bulk up. Lift weights where you can 12-15 reps, 3-4 sets. Don't use machines except for cables. Dumbells and free weights are best. Change your strength to cardio training to a 2-1 or 3-1 ratio. In other words, if you do 45 minutes of strength training, dp 15 minutes of cardio. it will take time but eventually the fat will reduce and the skin will firm up. I've gone from 320 lbs to between 180-190 lbs and my loose skin and fat has reduced.
  • 115 lbs is too little for your height. You may be doing too much cardio and not really enough anaerobic strength training. You need protein and complex carbs. Also have you had blood work done to check Lipids and sugar levels? Everyone should have through physical. Good luck!
  • You are right that you can't spot reduce. Cut your carbs, increase your daily protein to at least 1 gram per pound of body weight. You don't have to lift heavy unless you want o bulk up.

Not this again.... Op, as a female, you won't bulk up. Ignore that comment. And you also don't have to cut carbs. As long as you are hitting your fat and protein macros and staying with in your calorie limit, you can have as many carbs as you want.
  • I wouldn't cut calories any further. I would actually suggest that you eat at maintenance and continue with a progressive heavy lifting program for a few months and see if your body fat reduces that way. If you don't get the results you are looking for in about three months, then you can look into doing a bulk and cut cycle. But I wouldn't do it right away since when you bulk, you do gain some fat and I think at this stage in the game, you wouldn't be able to handle seeing more fat gain (you just lost the weight and it might be difficult to see it coming back a little bit). Lots of people continue to firm up and reduce body fat when they go to maintenance calories and continue heavy lifting. It is happening to me right now even!!
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Congratulations on losing so much weight! That is quite an achievement! Definitely do not cut calories again - you've done enough of that during your weight loss phase, and you will only slow down your metabolism if you do it again.

I agree with billpriday - try keeping the calories about the same, but cutting back on the carbs and increasing the protein. Try for 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. Then change your workouts to do 3 whole body strength training workouts per week (non consecutive days), concentrating on compound exercises like squats, deadlifts, pushups, etc., similar to the workouts in the New Rules of Lifting. (If you have not read any of them, I highly recommend doing so, to see if it makes sense for you to try one of those programs). Using the large lower body muscles for each workout will burn more calories and fat. You can do cardio on the days you do not strength train. I think you will be able to see some results in about 4 weeks.

Also, keep in mind that some of the"flab" you are seeing may disappear on its own with time. You lost a lot of weight, and there is bound to be some extra skin that may take a little while to go away.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Throw out the scale, eat more protein and reduce your cardio and replace it with more strength training. Focus on the mirror now.
  • plugers
    plugers Posts: 23 Member
    Never listen to anyone that says you'll get too bulky. First off a females muscle structure is much different than a males, the only way you would look like a guy is very intentionally and with the use of steroids.

Don't do any more than 10 reps per set, once you hit 10 it's time to up the weight.

I use a bluetooth HRM to let me know how many calories I burn while working out, if you link the endomondo app to myfitnesspal the calories burned will automatically be added to your diary to maintain your current weight. Although don't be stuck on 116 for your goal weight, muscle is heavier than fat and you may look great but weigh quite a bit more than 116.
  • DiKoehler
    DiKoehler Posts: 65 Member
    I am pretty much in the same place but have been doing strength exercises for months. Start looking at yourself from all angles too and you may be surprised to see the muscle definition you do have. 6 weeks isn't very long and as a woman it is easier for me to do more lighter reps to do a bit of spot toning along with the general plan. I still do the aerobics and keep protein up over 1gm /kg. It is working but there is loose skin that may never go away--being 62 and doing this is going to make some things a bit more complicated. Looking forward to seeing where you are in 2-3 months.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    "Skinny fat" refers to people who are a healthy weight according to the bmi, but have unhealthy levels of body fat. If your profile pics are current, you're not remotely skinny fat. While agree with comments about focusing on body composition rather than weight, and generally eating more while doing strength training etc (which I'm sure will give you great results) there is also something to be said for working on self acceptance at the same time. You look great. :flowerforyou:
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    so upping calories for a period to gain muscle, then cutting to lose fat?

Yes. Don't get confused over other peoples preferences regarding set/reps etc. do the strength training YOU enjoy (both will build muscle - unless you're piddling about with pink weights, listening to Tracy Anderson =D). I do prefer free weights but if all you have is access to machines or body weight then this will work too.

Like other have said you'll gain fat and muscle but you can keep an eye on this and run at a deficit again later.

You don't need to cut carbs (or any food group) just get a good balance. IIFYM is a good site to help you get an idea of what macros you need for your goal.

Like another poster said, you could do a recomp, sitting just above maintainance but it's is slooowwww....I know, because that's what I'm doing. I'm choosing not to bulk as I'm a good bit heavier than you (150ish) but I'd go for a bulk if I was your weight.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    how long have you been eating at maintenance for

what does your current strength training program consist of? compound movements, machines, etc?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Congratulations on losing so much weight! That is quite an achievement! Definitely do not cut calories again - you've done enough of that during your weight loss phase, and you will only slow down your metabolism if you do it again.

I agree with billpriday - try keeping the calories about the same, but cutting back on the carbs and increasing the protein. Try for 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. Then change your workouts to do 3 whole body strength training workouts per week (non consecutive days), concentrating on compound exercises like squats, deadlifts, pushups, etc., similar to the workouts in the New Rules of Lifting. (If you have not read any of them, I highly recommend doing so, to see if it makes sense for you to try one of those programs). Using the large lower body muscles for each workout will burn more calories and fat. You can do cardio on the days you do not strength train. I think you will be able to see some results in about 4 weeks.

Also, keep in mind that some of the"flab" you are seeing may disappear on its own with time. You lost a lot of weight, and there is bound to be some extra skin that may take a little while to go away.

what does cutting carbs have to do with this?

OP is working out six days a week ..if she cuts carbs where is she going to get energy from?

everything else I pretty much agree with ...
  • AHack3
    AHack3 Posts: 173 Member
    Great job on your weight loss! Don't know exactly to say to help you get where you want to be, but I'll share with you what I did and where I am at and maybe that will help you some how. I am also 5' 4", I have also been down to 118pds, but found that too thin for myself and not enough muscle tone, I was basically only doing cardio. I'm 43 years old, I currently weigh 123.4 pds
    19.5% BF , 58.9% BW, 38.7% SM. I just reached maintenance myself. I feel really good where I am right now. I am trying to eat about 1500 calories a day right now and 40% of my calories from carbs, 30% protein and 30% from fat. Seems to be a good healthy balance for me. I have cardio and strength training in my exercise plan. Good luck on your journey, keep working towards your goals, you will find what works for you and where you look/feel your best!
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    First congrats on weight lose! Next Some would say I am lifting too much on here but my leg press is twice my weight and I do 7 rounds of lower body with 5 exercises 3xweek and I have not bulked up at all leaner yes and can do the sports I want to competetively. I also do 3xweek on upper and much lower weights machines and free. It has taken me some time to look in the mirror and realize as truely see the transformation tha took place slowly but safely hang in there It takes time to tone and feel comfortable in our own skin sometimes.
  • carrieebg
    carrieebg Posts: 20 Member
    I have no advise...:)

Just wanted to give you a high 5 and a big hug. Good job!