how dependable is the Polar FT7 with calorie count?

I'm wondering how dependable the Polar FT7 HRM is...
I just got one last week and have been using it while exercising and it is telling me that I am burning more calories than I originally thought I was. I've heard using a HRM is the most accurate way to count calories burned, so I'm hoping it is correct.
Any opinions?

Replies

• craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    As long as you put your height/weight/age etc into the settings when you first unboxed it, it should be very accurate. I just purchased one minutes ago online, and will be using it by Wednesday night's workout, so I'll have to check back in here later and report!
  • donnaleighh
    donnaleighh Posts: 178 Member
    Yep, if you have it set up right to your height, weight etc, it will be pretty correct - remember, each time you lose/gain a kg or so, change your data on the HRM and it will stay accurate!! Nice to know you have extra up your sleeve ya? :)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    As far as I can tell mine is pretty accurate. You have to remember thatno matter what it's still a guess. Yes it uses an algorithm so an educated guess but a guess still. So if your eating back your calories you still may have to adjust the amount of them you eat back. Also remember HRMs are only accurate for steady state cardio not for weights etc.
  • Axanden
    Axanden Posts: 5 Member
    I have been using the Polar FT7 HRM for a while now and find that it consistently reports the amount of calories used to be between 80 to 100 less than those estimated by MFP's exercise calculator, per fast paced walking session. I update the monitor's settings as my weight steadily decreases. Still happily loosing weight since starting with MFP in the last week of October 2013 and the HRM continues to be part of that process.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    What type of exercise are you doing?

HRMs are pretty much useless for anything other than steady state cardio.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    I have found the HRM to consistently report a lower calorie burn than the MFP estimates. I have both a HRM and a FitBit and for walking activities, which are what the FitBit does best, they are pretty close on the calorie estimates. I trust the HRM numbers more than the MFP or numbers on an exercise machine.

When I don't wear the HRM I reduce the calories that MFP estimates. For example on my stationary bike, the MFP calories can be almost twice the HRM calories. If I don't wear the HRM calories I take half the MFP calories. Even though I don't eat many of my exercise calories, I'd rather under estimate the exercise calories than over estimate them.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    A real HRM - such as your Polar - gives the best estimate of calories available anywhere. Beats all other methods hands down.
  • kellymac518
    kellymac518 Posts: 132 Member
    Thanks everyone for your input!
    I am using it doing cardio workout videos or walking/jogging.
  • craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member

Not necessarily. If you are working hard enough and at a quick enough pace, you ARE going to increase your heart rate. The HRM will track this, and obviously adjust calories burned as well.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    It's not.

None of them really are but I would avoid the FT4 and FT7. Both said I burned 299 cals doing 30 Day Shred.. with my FT40, I burn approx 200 cals for 24 minutes of 30 Day Shred. Not a fan of the FT7 or the 4 for that reason.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member

Not necessarily. If you are working hard enough and at a quick enough pace, you ARE going to increase your heart rate. The HRM will track this, and obviously adjust calories burned as well.

Yes, HRMs track heart rate and estimate calories expended based on heart rate. The problem is that there is not a linear relationship between heart rate and caloric expenditure especially when it's not steady state cardio.........do some reading and you'll find this assertion is even supported by the manufacturers

That's not to say that tracking your heart rate during other types of exercise is not useful.......just that the estimated caloric expenditure will be inaccurate.