How did you go about beginning?

Options
2»

Replies

• marcellomoo
    marcellomoo Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    After a couple of days I was comfortable with keeping to my daily goal, so now I do make an effort with the nutrients. Nothing major, but things like if I want an evening snack with my remaining calories and I'm high on my fat and low on protein/ calcium/ iron I'll have porridge. If the opposite's the case, maybe half a fruit bagel with jam. Before starting MFP I would have had a whole bagel without a second thought, but now I know that half a bagel will keep me happy for half the calories and anything more would have been a waste.

In general, I've cut down on snacking and order lower calorie options when I'm eating out with friends. Most of my dinners now have extra veggies to replace the carbs, but if I want the carbs I'll eat less/ do some extra exercise. I did a lot of reading around online and my understanding is that eating at a lesser deficit, exercising off the difference and consuming plenty of protein keeps the metabolism up while losing, so I've been trying to get in extra exercise. This is usually just a case of finding extra excuses to walk places and burning a little at the gym. If you can, get your boyfriend involved. My boyfriend is actually how I found out about MFP and we're now doing it together. I wouldn't be going on 4mile walks at night if he wasn't going with me :)
  • commtry
    Options
    I can't pinpoint a starting point. I've always said to myself that I'm healthy and there was nothing wrong with my weight. so I tried to diet and exercise for my own self confidence. My mother was of course a wonderful cook however, so it was very hard. One summer I remember losing the first 10 pounds, in secret. Then, I gained more than half of that back. So, finally said to myself, I needed to stick to something. I started doing research. I know I needed to get serious with the exercise. No more 50 jumping jacks a day. Instead, I ran an hour every other day. Of course with this, it means I had to tell my family of my diet plans(which we all somehow needed). I started cooking my own veggies everyday for breakfast and dinner. I only eat my wonderful mother's meals during lunch. I lost all that I gained back and more (around 15 lbs) in less than 2 months. I gained another half of it during the holidays. Which I didn't bother. Now I'm trying to get back on track.

I've failed and restarted so many times. but I think we just gotta keep going. Its a part of the process.

I always try and thnk of the goal. but you know what? the goal just makes me feel worst, cause what do I do ones I've reached my goal? I tend to overeat again when I know I've worked hard a lot and wanna reward myself too much. so the slow process is really worth it.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I made my health my number one hobby. Cooking new things, trying new workouts, making little challenges for myself, reading about diet and fitness, analyzing my own calorie intake, hanging out here on MFP. It's kind of fun.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I just started logging my intake without any changes whatsoever. That quickly made me realize how very imbalanced my diet was and how much excess I was consuming. From there I made just took baby steps...cut down the calories and then started making changes in RE to balancing out my diet.

I set daily goals for vegetable and fruit intake...I cut soda down a bit at a time; I used to consume 3-5 sodas daily...I cut that down to 1 per day and then a few per week and then 1 per week and now I really don't have one except on very rare occasions. I just took baby steps.

I did the same with my fitness...I didn't try to go from couch to gym rat overnight. I started out just going for long walks a few days per week...that eventually turned into daily...then I started throwing in some running...finally I joined a gym and started lifting weights...then I started signing up for 5K races and the like. Nine months after starting all of this, I was training for a sprint triathlon (which I didn't get to participate in due to I actually overtrained and injured myself).
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I was having some circulation issues one day, and decided that the next day, I was going to work out. That was pretty much it. I take things one day at a time. I didn't start logging my food until about a week after I'd done good working out. Now I have a routine, and I don't want to mess up that routine.
  • Zomb1eMummy
    Zomb1eMummy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    For 3 days I just logged what I ate as normal to see what I was eating. Then I started to eat less and exercise 30 minutes a day. Now I am exercising 60 minutes, 6 days a week and eating my 1240 plus half of my exercise calories which is usually about 1500 and I am steadily losing pounds and inches. Feel free to add me for support!
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Since this isn't my first rodeo, I just dove in. My cholesterol is high, my blood pressure is high, and I felt like crap. I cut down my calories, stopped drinking so much alcohol, and started exercising. For exercise I did a lot of walking at first. Now I'm doing more intense workout dvds. Slowly but steadily working my way up.

Everyone is different and if you need to start out slow. Start out slow. Cut out soda. Cut out fast food. Whatever your lifestyle needs...
  • 42squared
    42squared Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When I first decided to lose weight I looked around a bit before I found MFP. I've always been a little data obsessed in other areas of my life, so this works well for me. Not only that but the phone app makes it easy for me to check out menu items before I decide. As I began to track I saw that I got a lot more calories from drinking chocolate milk than I thought I did. I was able to cut out a bunch by just limiting how much I had every day. I've never loved working out, but I have been trying to do a little bit more now, I love dance video games so I've spent some time just following along with them on youtube. I find that exercise without feeling like exercise for me.
  • nenshali
    nenshali Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'd start slowly, step by step (well, depending on how much you have to lose).
    Maybe this is helpful for you: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1198789-how-to-stay-motivated-while-being-depressed-after-a-relapse
    Those tips can also be generalized and used for starting the journey.

Besides this, I'd simply try to learn more about nutrition, so after some time, you are able to make easier healthier choices. And you know, for example, how important protein and fat are for getting full (and for your muscles) etc.
    Lots of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I have just written a post about this and I am copying it here. Planning is definitely key and both nutrients and calories matter.

Make yourself proud!
    You do not have to be great to start but you do have to start to be great!

I am told it takes 21 days to break a habit. Start by giving yourself a 21 day challenge before giving up or, even better, moving on to another 21 day challenge ;)

Buy a pocket diary to write feelings, goals, motivational quotes, workouts for the week and meal ideas.

Buy a calendar and circle benchmark dates. When do you want to look the best you can be? Is there a graduation ceremony coming up or another celebration? Are you starting a new job in a few months? Are you planning to visit family members or friends soon or are they coming over? Meeting the In-Laws in a couple of months? Circle all these dates with your predictions and anticipate positive reactions and feedback.

Start with what you put in your mouth by banning sugar, pasta, potatoes, rice, bread, soda and fruits ( I know I am going to make a few friends with this but it is only 21 days....to start with)

Start with eating 90% of homecooked meals. Bring your lunch to work as you plan for the whole week on Sundays. Make it easy: leftovers for next day's lunch, boil all your eggs for breakfast in advance,….

If you keep thinking about food every 2 hours, stick to three meals a day every 5-6 hours for at least 21 days. Eat well, eat clean within your calorie budget limit. You are not an athlete nor a bodybuilder! You might go overboard with 6 meals a day and your insuline might go crazy as well as your waistline. Help your dearest hormone of all. No you won't die of starvation! There is some excess energy your body has to deplete first (i.e. the stored fat). Food is fuel, nothing else.

Buy a food scale

Start by getting a BPA free bottle, fill it with water and carry it everywhere. Drink up to half an hour before your meal and one hour after your meal not to disrupt digestion. Green tea is good. Alcohol is not what your body needs at this stage, keep it for when you give up after 21 days...just in case.

Start with research. Learn about the Glycemic Index, food combinations, hormones and why we are told to do one thing rather than another and take notes in your diary, in the section entitled: What I Learned Today. Do also write the changes you need to make as a consequence.

Start with an excercise plan and stick to eat. Remember, it is only 21 days...for now. Don't see it as moving! See it as Training! What is your goal? Losing fat? Sculpting your body? Research workouts that will help you get started and bring your notes and a worksheet to the gym.

Start with weight training! Yes especially las chicas and at least 3 times a week. The plan is not to look like gladiators but if you want your hormones to work for you, step into that room. The big guys are friendly and helpful. There is this kind of respect and understanding for beginners. Remember they started too and they appreciate how daunting it is for you.

Start by getting 8 hours of sleep.

Start by reading success stories

Start by having a visualization board with cut outs from magazines, quotes, the cute outfit you will wear, the killer legs/abs/butt/all of the above. Remember: where the mind goes, the body follows!

Your 21 days are up? Treat yourself! No cheat meals! No pub crawling! Get a new workout gear, a beautiful outfit, a new haircut,.....something to top up your progress. If you feel like quitting, think about why you started!

Now onto the next 21 days!

theguy12 would hang himself if he had to do all this.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1174224-favorite-breakfast-shake-meal-replacements
  • benlambrou
    benlambrou Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Mine is about the same as about the same as above about the 3weeks makes a habit except i did not cut out things from the get go. Pop i did switch to diet. During my main meals I did try to eat healthier but still had whatever i normally would. I started by just trying to eat breakfast. Cereal or oatmeal or whatever from the house and not fast food. After i got used to that I started with a morning a snack of some type of fruit. I always ate lunch so next thing was having a healthy snack after work. So after 2-3 months I was able to eat the # of meals all the food gurus said you need to help with metabolism.

Now with having a decent breakfast and 2 healthy snacks to help with hunger issues I began focusing on my lunch and dinner. This is where premaking meals came in. I now make all my lunches on sunday for the week and just microwave. This is when i started counting calories for the first time and did it on paper. i made all of them in the 400 range which you can make a pretty wide variety of meals.

I than moved on to actually exercising about 5-6months from starting. Now all of it is just daily life.

I just starting using MFP again and hoping it will help with plateaus for losing the next 40lb
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I started by cutting my calories and adding exercise. Other than that I didn't change anything. This worked for me. As I learned more, I started tweaking things - upping my protein, adjusting my exercise routine, etc.

Once you get started, just tweak things until you find something that works for you. And don't worry about going over every once in a while. If you are at a deficit, you probably won't even get to your maintenance calories if you get a little in the red calorie-wise.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I found it easiest to start by just logging everything I ate in a day. It helped me see where my calories were coming from and decide where I was willing to change my habits. Once I had my meals figured out, I decided to keep it simple by only giving myself treats on days I exercised. It was an easy way to motivate me, and I could decide if I preferred being lazy or having a cookie. ;) No stress, no huge changes, and best of all, no depriving myself of the things I loved so I could stick with it.

yup pretty much and read the forums you will learn a lot
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    Spend a couple of days logging what you usually eat to see where you're going wrong, and start from there.

First of all, I cut out fizzy/high calorie drinks and take away foods.
    I then found replacement meals for the unhealthy things I was eating.
    I put lots more fresh fruit and veg into my diet, along with nuts, which has helped keep me full in between meals.
    Weigh your food - you'd be surprised at just how much you eat, and how many calories are in what foods. I was shocked at calories in cheese, bread, etc, it all adds up!
    I have switched white bread for wholemeal and have cut how much bread I eat pretty much by half.

I hope this helps!
  • FrauStorm
    FrauStorm Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with my weight since I was about 14. I went from overcoming a small encounter with anorexia to becoming a binge eater. My binge eating was the worst once I was about a year and half into my relationship with my boyfriend. We would cook entire boxes of pasta and eat it between us two. We'd eat 2 pizzas a day and drink soda.

We broke up about 2 months ago and about a month into being back at my mom's and being unemployed, I decided it was time for change. I started light with the 30 day squat challenge and replaced my drinks with water. I have a really old digital scale but it still seems to be accurate so I weigh myself every 2-4 days. Even on days where I cheat and eat something bad, I just flush my system with lots of water! It's become a habit for me, now.

I completed my squat challenge and still do 100 squats on a daily basis. I love to dance so I use that for cardio. Yesterday, I started the 30 Day Shred challenge for the second time! Last year I did it but didn't get very far. I feel very committed this time although I'm super sore.

What about my moments of weakness? I envision my goals. I think about the people I want to impress, and the clothes I want to wear. I remember why I started to get fit in the first place. I think of my future and how proud and happy I will be once I succeed. I have failed so many times before and I think about how unhappy I was when I was living such an unhealthy lifestyle. It's so difficult to kick old habits, especially when you've lived with them basically your entire life! But it's possible. You're the only thing in your way.

Never give up on your goal. Never.
    Be confident in your every step.
    And when your thoughts become heavy at night, go to sleep.
  • manierata
    manierata Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey--in the beginning, I just ate what I would normally ate but made myself stop as soon as I began to feel full. If I needed a snack later, then I had one. After a while, I adjusted to eating less and didn't need to snacks. You learn. Feel free to add me if you want the support.