Favorite breakfast shake / meal replacements?

Options
13»

Replies

• commtry
    Options
    I know the trouble of being unable to make up meals.
    Here are some of what I DO:

COFFEE! I know its not the healthiest thing in the world, but this is my Breakfast shake.
    South Beach Diet To go Dark Chocolate tastes awesome.
    Have some Frigo Light Cheese Sticks as well.
    FRUITS is best as well. I eat 2 apples a day, some grapes and bananas.
    Graham Crackers (teddy grahams)
    Some Nuts (walnut, peanut, etc)
    Don't forget your vegetables.

+one big meal either during lunch or dinner.

As you can see these are small servings that you can just bring with yourself. just be careful not to munch too much.
    I don't have 3 meals a day, but dozens of munchies that I add up through the day. Eat mindfully.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I don't ever want to cook first thing in the morning, so I tend to go for smoothies chock-full of greens and other healthy ingredients. It's not as fast as grabbing a pre-made bar, but it's much more filling and satisfying, and there's more variety available. It is still fast though, and worth getting up 5 minutes earlier (that's how fast you can make them) if you find yourself rushing in the mornings. TIP: Spend the time to peel, cut & pre-freeze all your smoothie fruits after your grocery shop to save time every morning.

If you're looking for suggestions, here is what I had this morning. I call it a maca-cacao malted chocolate shake.

2 tbsp maca root powder (40 cal)
    1 tbsp cacao powder (20 cal)
    1/2 tsp vanilla (6 cal)
    1/2 cup frozen banana (67 cal)
    1/2 cup frozen blueberries (31 cal)
    1 cup almond milk (40 cal)
    1 cup spinach (7 cal)
    Sweeten to taste (I prefer soaked dates)

I swear, it really does taste like malted chocolate (the maca adds that malty flavour). Also, having a tbsp or 2 of psyllium fibre (I prefer whole husk) 20-30 before a meal helps you feel full, in addition to its health benefits, or you can add it directly to your smoothie--however be aware that it thickens, so you may need to add more milk or water.
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I should also add that maca is great in breakfast smoothies as it gives you energy. You could substitute it for instant coffee however, for a similar kick and a different, but I'm sure equally delicious, mocha taste.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Just went and got some variety of bars and shakes you guys mentioned. Thanks for the advice.

To those who say I will fail - thanks for the vote of confidence AND maybe I will. But if it's extra work I will for sure. That is why these shakes and meal bars work so well for me. Thanks again everyone.

I agree with those saying you will fail with this approach but that's up to you. The shakes and meal bars are processed foods, high in price that tend not to be sustainable over time. If you travel, then be prepared to bring a lot of your own shakes and meal bars of choice because chances are very good you won't be able to find that brand everywhere. You are also at the mercy of the manufacturer who will change the formula of both at the drop of a hat if it means a production savings. Being processed you are guaranteed to be ingesting GMO in these products. All that being said, if you like them that is your choice. Homemade smoothies are considerably less expensive than store bought shakes and you know what you are getting. There are a lot of recipes out there for meal, energy, protein and snack bars that also are a lot cheaper than store bought.

Oh, and you do know that food prep burns calories? So does peeling an orange ;)
  • clairekyty
    clairekyty Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Jeez, thanks for making me feel like my priorities are wrong in the morning. Sigh.

For the record, I do get dressed and brush my teeth.
    [/quote]

Lol found this quite amusing

I defo think we should be friends as I too get dressed and brush my teeth
    It's good to have things in common :)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Just went and got some variety of bars and shakes you guys mentioned. Thanks for the advice.

To those who say I will fail - thanks for the vote of confidence AND maybe I will. But if it's extra work I will for sure. That is why these shakes and meal bars work so well for me. Thanks again everyone.

I agree with those saying you will fail with this approach but that's up to you. The shakes and meal bars are processed foods, high in price that tend not to be sustainable over time. If you travel, then be prepared to bring a lot of your own shakes and meal bars of choice because chances are very good you won't be able to find that brand everywhere. You are also at the mercy of the manufacturer who will change the formula of both at the drop of a hat if it means a production savings. Being processed you are guaranteed to be ingesting GMO in these products. All that being said, if you like them that is your choice. Homemade smoothies are considerably less expensive than store bought shakes and you know what you are getting. There are a lot of recipes out there for meal, energy, protein and snack bars that also are a lot cheaper than store bought.

Oh, and you do know that food prep burns calories? So does peeling an orange ;)

OP: I truly think you would benefit from meal prepping for an entire week at a time.
  • mtbchk
    mtbchk Posts: 22
    Options
    Not trying to bash, but you seem to have an excuse for everything... I used to be like that. Before I had kids, I lost 53 lbs. A couple of years later, I found my weight creeping back up, and I had every excuse in the book why I couldn't prepare any meals (funny, because I have so many more responsibilities NOW (2 little kids, work full-time, etc.)). My experience was that I "didn't have time" to prepare even the simplest meals and I finally realized that every food I was eating was "convenience food" -- either in bar form or from a box. As soon as I started making real food, not only did I realize it wasn't has hard (nor did it take as long as I thought), but the weight came back off.

On the plus side, once I made fresher food a priority, it wasn't that hard to keep doing even with extra responsibilities and time commitments as life moved on...

Make your health your priority. You won't regret it.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Dont listen to people sayin u will fail BELIEVE in yourself we havnt all got the time or knowledge to make fancy healthy breakfasts/snacks and if meal replacement shakes work then why not i swear by them and im losing weight and feeling great for it!! Gd luck mate ????

LULZ

Fancy breakfasts/snacks.....

Was not aware oatmeal, fruit, eggs, veggies, and/or coffee, etc..... was a secret.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

Can I ask how many times you have tried to lose weight and how many times it has come back?

The reason most fail, is because you never learn how to eat and how to sustain. But if you dont educate yourself and develop a plan to sustain a healthy lifestyle, you will end up failing again. It's a bit of tough love, but that is why most people fail. They want a quick or easy fix but never understand the picture.

I personally like cliff bars (their energy bars and protein bars) but they are not meal replacement bars technically.
  • RhysWill_I_Ams
    Options
    I use this one when I'm busy or late

1 scoop protein powder (not fruit flavoured)
    1tsp cocoa powder
    1/3 tsp cayenne pepper
    300ml skimmed milk

High in protein and good fats, the cocoa powder give you a good boost of energy and the cayenne pepper boosts your metabolic rate without tasting of spice.

You can make it the night before, put it in the fridge and just get it out and drink on the commute to work (give it a shake first)
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Yeah - I can cook something quick in morning for breakfast (done it before) but I don't want too - I have better things to do like trying to wake up, watching news, get dressed, brushing teeth, etc.

I hear you about making things in advance but I don't eat leftovers so that would not work for me. Don't know why - just hate them even through they typically taste better than the original meal.

We do cook healthy at night (FRESH 20 PLAN) -- all produce and protein - no canned or frozen stuff.

Honestly - I even have microwavable soups at work for lunch but don't feel like warming them up - takes too long (1:45). I need something I can just crack open or unwrap and eat. No work involved or I won't do it.

There's this thing called being an adult. It involves doing things you don't feel like doing. And working. Seriously.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    If breakfast ain't your thing, you could always skip it if you want. Weight loss is about calorie deficit and there's no hard rule on how to achieve it.
    There are many like myself, who forego breakfast and then do lunch, a couple of snacks and then dinner (although I personally eat till about 11:30pm each day). As long as I don't exceed my calorie intake, I do fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition