1235»

Replies

• BLNKSN
    BLNKSN Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BatwomanAlice
    Options

Baked chips are super easy. Cut corn tortillas (or high fiber/low carb ... experiment) into triangles. Use an oil mister (or Pam spray). Spray each side with oil, sprinkle with salt, chili powder (whatever) layer on a cookie sheet. Bake at 350° for 7 minutes.

Excellent! I can't wait to try this!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    yes, it is called moderation.

Eat the chips and salsa, and maintain your daily calorie deficit…

problem solved..
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    While I agree that many people have said "in moderation" that should be your goal. But you mentioned in the OP that its not so easy for you and you end up eating half the bag. So what I would do is pick one day during the week, so like every sunday, and buy a small bag (like individual sized, that you get at a convenience store) and have that once a week on the same day. The structure helps you from buying a small bag whenever you want, and gives you something to look forward to, without filling it in with a lesser substitute.

I have the same craving! I used to work at a mexican restaurant and I have since loved chips and salsa
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Jicama with lime, salt, chili powder or smoked paprika. Jicama is crunchy and you can slice it into chips. I too love salsa and celery and carrots. I do buy baked tositos on occasion. I have also made my own salsa and chips. Here is a link to my blog post on the chips.

http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2012/10/chili-lime-salt-and-baked-corn-chips.html

r10x7r.jpg
  • Leoness726
    Leoness726 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    http://www.thebetterchip.com/

I have the Jalapeno and Sea Salt chips from the above website. Obviously, you're going to have to portion them out. Tortilla in and of itself even prior to baking, frying, or whatever else is going to have a set amount of calories. There's no magical tortilla chip out there that's going to set you free to eat the whole bag.

I also love chips and salsa, so with these I take out 20 of them (2 servings) and put the bag away. Once I finish the 20 chips and without the bag in front of me, my mouth is pretty much on fire enough where I'm set. No need for more.

You're always going to overeat if you eat right out of the bag. You can also always find chips that are pre-portioned in snack size bags.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    I have a crazy obsession with tostitos touch of pepperjack chips and salsa. Before I started this diet, I was eating chips and salsa for lunch probably 3 days a week. Is there a healthy tortilla chip out there? I have put salsa on everything, but I really crave that crunchy snap some days. I'm also not the kind of person that can portion tortilla chips out, I generally end up eating half the bag even if I planned for "just a few"
    Absolutely. The "healthy" way is just not to eat too much. As much as they are easy to overload on, disciplining yourself to eat a certain amount will keep you well within health parameters.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • karlastockham
    Options
    Thank You for the great tip! I just made a huge batch of salsa and was stressing over an alternative to tortilla chips. Using your idea tomorrow :)
  • crunchbones
    crunchbones Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've just relegated tortilla chips to an occasional treat (unfortunately), but I've found bell peppers go well with hummus and similar dips. And fresh salsa goes with everything ;)
  • Afmackdaddy
    Options
    Loving this thread! Thanks to all for making life more enjoyable with all these options!!!!
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Cut celery into bite size chunks.. It is delicious with any salsa and gives you a nice crunch!

This was awesome suggestion thanks. I had it last night. Missing a couple teeth so chips tend to stab me.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I too love the chips. I spray a MISSION tortilla BOTH sides with my mister, sprinkle with chili lime seasoning, put in microwave 40 seconds each side, watch so it doesn't burn. Break apart and done. Be sure to poke with a fork before microwaving because it gets air bubbles in it. Husband loves these... Mix it up by different seasonings..
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Deanner03
    Deanner03 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I do the Special K Cracker Chips as well (sea salt flavor). I feel like I got to indulge, but they're only 110 calories for 30. Celery sounds like a great option as well!
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Just noticed the typo in my post. No need to actually pray over the chips once you flip them... a simple spray of olive oil will do! But pray anyway, it's good for you! :wink:

LOLOL
  • Trey_Lee
    Options
    I've eaten carrot chips in place of tortilla chips. Granted, it's not the best, but for the taste of salsa, it'll work.
  • thefatveganchef
    thefatveganchef Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Garden of eatin multigrain chips. Baked, gluten free, and tasty.
    http://www.gardenofeatin.com/product/?product=2040&category=693