Need some Yoga advice

Options
I attempted a 30 min beginner (ha!) yoga workout today. I admit, I'm over weight. I'm losing weight. I'm doing cardio or weights or just walking every day. Well this Yoga thing has me a bit stymied.

I've had 4 knee surgeries on my left knew. (2 ACL Replacements, 1 for meniscus and 1 to "clean out the debris"). So one particular pose, Bow Pose, I can NOT, bend and reach that left leg enough to get ahold of it. I'm wondering if I can modify this pose until I (hopefully) get enough range of motion and flexibility to do it properly.
Can I sub using a towel around the ankles?
Will I get better at this? Does it .. progress?

I can use all the help I can get. I'm not to use the treadmill, doctors orders, but I do walk at least 30 minutes everyday. Just no jarring of that knee.

Anyone with any ideas?

-C.

Replies

• lilredhead314
    lilredhead314 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm not a yoga expert, but most yoga studios have straps for people who can't fully do the moves. If you are working out at home I'd assume a towel would be a good sub. Or you could probably find a yoga strap at TJ Maxx or something.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    You will get better at this.

While I'm not a yoga expert, I do practice. A towel or something around the ankle might be a good modification...or just skipping that pose for a few sessions until you gain a little more flexibility. Your knees have been through a lot, and one thing you learn if you take a yoga class (as opposed to DVDs) is you should listen to your body and modify or skip poses if you're not ready for them or if they hurt in bad ways, as opposed to a "wow, my muscles are doing new things" gentle ache.
  • yogioats
    yogioats Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely use a strap if that feels good. You can also use the rope from your robe if you do not have a yoga strap. If you are primarily looking for the back bend, you could try doing cobra/baby cobra instead.

Listen to your body. Skip or modify poses if something feels wrong. Since you do have some knee issues, don't strain yourself! Have you thought about studio classes?
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    You will get better at this.

While I'm not a yoga expert, I do practice. A towel or something around the ankle might be a good modification...or just skipping that pose for a few sessions until you gain a little more flexibility. Your knees have been through a lot, and one thing you learn if you take a yoga class (as opposed to DVDs) is you should listen to your body and modify or skip poses if you're not ready for them or if they hurt in bad ways, as opposed to a "wow, my muscles are doing new things" gentle ache.

I would say this is the best advice - while you want to gain that flexibility you don't want to risk injury
  • Jett_05
    Jett_05 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Defiantly use straps but if you still run into issues or the slightest twinge stop and just find a diffrent backbend. Aso I'd advise working under the guidance of a qualified yoga teacher. Make sure you find someone with a strong anatomy & kinesiology. Just because someone is yoga alliance registered doesn't mean they are adequately trained to work with someone with special physical needs. I don't think too highly of yoga alliance (if they approve online yoga certifications with limited face time, it isn't a good indicator of standards) I'd suggest viniyoga or someone who is cross trained in another physical modality.
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Try using a strap or belt around your ankle, but be very mindful of your pain free range of motion.

Yoga is a journey, and with patience and persistence you may be able to reach a point where you can get into the full expression of the posture. However, you need to respect your body and listen to it. I had knee surgery a few years ago to repair a torn meniscus, and it took a long time to get full range of motion back, and there are some things that I just cannot do anymore. Not everyone can do every single pose, no matter how hard I work I have never been able to get into crow pose, my arms are quite short (I'm only 4'11) and I don't have enough "free room" on my upper arms to place my knees on triceps.

Keep at it, yoga has so much to offer, both physically and psychologically.

Namaste.
  • Goldeeloks615
    Goldeeloks615 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank everyone so much for the advice! I am thinking that maybe I will indeed find someone who REALLY has clue before I venture any further down this path. The absolute last thing I want is to reinjure that knee! ::sad:
    I realized that pose is much like one of the rehab stretches that I did for it if you add the towel. Or strap.. (Bathrobe belt is indeed what I used!)
    Back to my walks around the lake, dodging the otter and/or the gator! I do want to pursue this though! :smile:
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Because you have had surgery on your knees, I would strongly recommend you seek out a local yoga teacher and have some supervision and teaching specific to your needs. On-line yoga is fine but it is good practise to attend at least one class per week to keep the supervision going.
  • ashleysarvi
    Options
    It might be a flexibility issue. There are lot of poses I cant do because my body just doesn't seem to bend that way. But I think if you keep at you should get it! I have been working on the crow pose for 3 weeks now and i can finally hold it well. I still fall but hey every time i do it I do it better!
  • tooposh4u
    Options
    Just do the effort of lifting your legs up even without you touching your feet. I think it is safer for you if you don't push yourself. Since we only have a pair on knee. That's what my yoga teacher normally tells us.
  • patsully98
    patsully98 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm not a yoga teacher or an expert, just a practitioner, but if I was having trouble with Bow pose, I'd start with Locust: http://www.yogaoutlet.com/images/guide/yoga/15511004292011125529.jpg. It's a similar type of pose, but less range of motion is necessary.