Newbie here... looking for advice for those last 10 pounds.

Options
Hi everyone. I'm new here and I apologize beforehand for the long post that I'm about to write.

I'm a 24 year old female who's at an acceptable BMI but needs to reduce some body fat. I joined MFP after finally deciding that my life as the fluffy, chubby one in photos is over and I want to become a healthier, leaner me. I started my journey last year in September 2013 and managed to drop 5 pounds and 1-2 inches by restricting calories and exercising 3 days a week. I used a different website to log my food last time. I'm aware that I'm at a healthy weight but I have lots of fat hanging on my body. For example: I can grab a whole handful of it on my tummy and especially on my thunder thighs. They jiggly really badly and I look horrible in short pants.

I have unfortunately regained some of the weight over Christmas and New Year. Since January, I have not managed to lose any weight or inches. I'm not usually fixated on the weighing scale as long as I'm losing inches; however it seems that this time I have hit a weight loss plateau. I still wear the same clothes and they do not feel that much looser too. It's frustrating because I'm looking to lose about 10 more pounds, including the ones I've regained. I'm guessing this is what they call the stubborn last 10 pounds which take forever to come off, right?

I want to start over again here at MFP so I'm hoping to have some help this time round. Here are my stats:

Current Weight: 117lbs
Goal Weight: 105lbs
Height: 5 feet 1
Body fat percentage calculated using fat2fit: 25%

Number of Days of exercise per week: I aim to exercise 3 - 5 days a week (I'm sedentary most of the day except when I work out). I do a combination of cardio and strength training exercises. Currently, I follow workout videos from Fitnessblender.com

Net calorie goal: 1350 (TDEE of around 1700 so I'm aiming for a deficit of TDEE - 20%)

So that's what I've been basically doing for the past 1 and a half months. Yet, I have not seen any progress on the scales and I have also not lost any inches. I have cleaned out my diet with occasional small treats and I log my food and measure using a scale. I am usually within my calories too. I just don't understand why I haven't been able to lose any weight despite doing all that. I'm eating at a deficit and exercising so I've been doing what I need to do so I should have seen some progress by now right?

Please help me, anybody. It's very frustrating to work so hard yet see no results. To those who managed to lose their last 10 pounds, how did you do it and how long did it take you to see any progress (scale/inches)? Thanks to whoever reads my post. I really appreciate any help/advice I get :)

Replies

• sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm in my last 10- how hard are you working out and how much water/other stuff are you drinking?

I was doing mediocre work outs, stopped drinking lots of water and started having more days where I'd sneak an extra snack. Stopped losing. Realized this, started pushing myself a lot harder (as in, if I'm not at least a little sore the next day I didn't work hard enough)l upped my tea and water,and now I'm losing and toning again.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    If you know for a fact that you are logging accurately (re: you are weighing all your food, as you said) then I would start to slightly lower your deficit as you go, particularly if you find you are stalling. I know you're annoyed with this stubborn 10 pounds but if you really develop the habit of eating close to what maintains your ideal body (TDEE at your goal) you won't have a problem gaining back once you get there.

I would also focus on hitting your protein macro and keep an emphasis on strength training so that you look even more awesome when you get there. With so little left to lose, it's about looking good, not lessening your relationship with gravity (which is all your weight really means). Good luck!
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going slower (TDEE -10% or less) and doing more resistance/weight training than cardio. The last pounds are the hardest to lose.
  • commtry
    Options
    U weigh just fine to me, that's why.
    there's not much to lose.

so you have to change your eating habits. more veggies and fruits if you really want to get there.
    plus more cardio. cheat days and small treats will make a big difference in the scale.
    Decrease your sodium consumption. More water. These are probably why you don't see results.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food? If not, start there.
  • rk_19
    rk_19 Posts: 92
    Options
    Wow OP, you and I are in the exact same boat. When I say exact, I mean exact. Same measurements.. I have the same problem. I've been eating lots of protein, and doing a combo of weight training and HIIT, and sometimes yoga if I'm too lazy haha. The results take a while to see but I think over time people around you will begin to notice if you don't. 1) You see yourself every day and 2) it's not a fast process, so a lot of times friends and family see it first
  • Idahoshaw
    Idahoshaw Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of the previous comments. It took me 6 months to loose the last 10 pounds. Only after that did I clean up my diet. It was like magic. I lost another 7 pounds. I was already doing a lot of strength training and cardio. So, my advice is eat 100% clean most of the time. But, allow treats every now and then so you don't feel deprived. Eat lots of fruits, vegetable, and proteins. Drink lots of water.
    My last bit of advice; Read all ingredients on labels and learn what the long words really mean. This made the biggest difference for me. After I educated myself on ingredients, I no longer wanted to eat a lot of packaged foods.
  • amazingbabydoll
    Options
    I'm in my first ten.. lol. Feel free to add me though :)
  • euphoria13824
    Options
    I'm in my last 10- how hard are you working out and how much water/other stuff are you drinking?

I was doing mediocre work outs, stopped drinking lots of water and started having more days where I'd sneak an extra snack. Stopped losing. Realized this, started pushing myself a lot harder (as in, if I'm not at least a little sore the next day I didn't work hard enough)l upped my tea and water,and now I'm losing and toning again.

Hi there. Thanks for replying ^^ I'm working out at a moderate intensity. Usually when I do cardio, I mix in interval training because I've heard of its benefits towards fat loss. I usually do some cardio after a 30 minute strength training workout from fitnessblender.com. And yes, usually I'm sore the next day so I'm pretty sure it's hard enough.

I don't really snack much, really. Just maybe 1-3 cookies but I make sure to log them strictly and also make sure that I'm still within my calorie goal. I only drink water and green tea. I have been doing that for over a year already.

How long did it take you to lose first 5 pounds from your last 10 goal??
  • euphoria13824
    Options
    If you know for a fact that you are logging accurately (re: you are weighing all your food, as you said) then I would start to slightly lower your deficit as you go, particularly if you find you are stalling. I know you're annoyed with this stubborn 10 pounds but if you really develop the habit of eating close to what maintains your ideal body (TDEE at your goal) you won't have a problem gaining back once you get there.

I would also focus on hitting your protein macro and keep an emphasis on strength training so that you look even more awesome when you get there. With so little left to lose, it's about looking good, not lessening your relationship with gravity (which is all your weight really means). Good luck!

I have heard of advice that recommends a tdee - 10 or 15% only for those who don't have much to lose. Being in a normal tdee-20% for quite some time already, having to up my calories seems a bit daunting because I fear that I will gain weight.

I actually see some abs beneath my belly fat when I flex my muscles so I can't wait to lose the fat and see what wonderful abs I have beneath :D
  • euphoria13824
    Options
    I would suggest going slower (TDEE -10% or less) and doing more resistance/weight training than cardio. The last pounds are the hardest to lose.

Yes, I'm aware that it's the hardest to lose. So I should increase my calories to 1700 x 90% = 1530cals per day? Does this include exercise calories as well? That's another issue I'm confused about. If I eat back my calories then I'll only have a daily calorie deficit of 170 (1700 - 1530). I'm okay with 0.5lbs loss per week but isn't 170 too small of a deficit?
  • euphoria13824
    Options
    U weigh just fine to me, that's why.
    there's not much to lose.

so you have to change your eating habits. more veggies and fruits if you really want to get there.
    plus more cardio. cheat days and small treats will make a big difference in the scale.
    Decrease your sodium consumption. More water. These are probably why you don't see results.

Currently, most of my food intake consists of protein and veggies with some fat. I'm following a semi low-carb plan with carb refeeds at the end of the week. I hardly eat any snacks and if i do, I make sure I log them. I try my best not to go over my sodium intake, though I eat a lot of Chinese food so they're loaded with sodium.
  • euphoria13824
    Options
    Wow OP, you and I are in the exact same boat. When I say exact, I mean exact. Same measurements.. I have the same problem. I've been eating lots of protein, and doing a combo of weight training and HIIT, and sometimes yoga if I'm too lazy haha. The results take a while to see but I think over time people around you will begin to notice if you don't. 1) You see yourself every day and 2) it's not a fast process, so a lot of times friends and family see it first

I'm so glad that I have a "buddy" here! :) Have you managed to start losing some of those last pounds yet??
  • euphoria13824
    Options
    I agree with a lot of the previous comments. It took me 6 months to loose the last 10 pounds. Only after that did I clean up my diet. It was like magic. I lost another 7 pounds. I was already doing a lot of strength training and cardio. So, my advice is eat 100% clean most of the time. But, allow treats every now and then so you don't feel deprived. Eat lots of fruits, vegetable, and proteins. Drink lots of water.
    My last bit of advice; Read all ingredients on labels and learn what the long words really mean. This made the biggest difference for me. After I educated myself on ingredients, I no longer wanted to eat a lot of packaged foods.

Wow... 6 pounds is a really long time, but congratulations for losing them! I've given myself till June 2014 this year to drop those 10 pounds. I started in January so that's about 6 months too. Yes, I'm reading labels all the time (I never did that before my decision to lose weight). Most of my meals are homecooked and I hardly eat out. Even if I do eat out, it's usually protein and veggies as well, just loads of sodium.
  • euphoria13824
    Options
    I'm in my first ten.. lol. Feel free to add me though :)

Lol... all the best to you! :)
  • ochibi91
    ochibi91 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm totally in the same boat and have not been able to lose weight for about 6 weeks! I agree with the above advice and just keep on eating cleanly and working out at moderate intensity. Here's hoping that we can finally break our plateau soon!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I would suggest changing your exercise routine and ignoring the scale.

At your current weight, the scale won't show the most of your progress if you want to "tone up" (look lean and strong, lowering body fat %). Pay more attention to the mirror (take before photos because, if you're like me, you won't notice the progress otherwise), how your clothes fit, the tape measure, and possibly the body fat % readings.

I would also suggest adding more weights. I'm not super familiar with fitness blender, but if it's like a lot of other cardio-weight programs, it really isn't enough weights to get those goals you want. Lifting heavy things is what will do it. Look into either New Rules of Lifting for Women or Starting Strength, both are books which help you understand the compound lifts (and the second helps set up a good program). You won't get bulky if you're eating at a deficit, but you will lose fat while mostly preserving muscle (even though the scale might not show your progress which is why I say to ignore it).

Just for reference, I'm 5 feet tall, perhaps 5'1" on a good day :laugh: I weigh between 128 and 130. I've been lifting heavy since August, 2-3 times a week, and while my calories are set to 1600 I've been really lazy about measuring or logging, so I'm sure I've averaged more like 2000 a day or more :ohwell: Still, in that time, I've gone from 26.8% body fat to 22.4% and from snug size 6 jeans to comfortable 4 and occasionally size 2 depending on cut & brand. My profile picture (the one in the blue top) is from August, and I'll post one here from a couple of weeks ago. Yes, I have some work still to do, but my point is you don't need to starve yourself … with the right kind of work and diet (aim for ~100g protein a day, at your size), you can look great even if the scale is higher than you expected.

2e054ff4-f413-4180-9452-ea135f22eb20_zpsf6772384.jpg

6991158d-2b3f-4658-8a7a-9a22e0303892_zps461c4181.jpg

(Oh and forgive the hair … I'd just gotten home from a workout)
  • BecciJoWilding
    BecciJoWilding Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If you're doing tdee do NOT eat back exercise calories, it's already included
  • euphoria13824
    Options
    If you're doing tdee do NOT eat back exercise calories, it's already included

okay, thanks!
  • euphoria13824
    Options
    I would suggest changing your exercise routine and ignoring the scale.

At your current weight, the scale won't show the most of your progress if you want to "tone up" (look lean and strong, lowering body fat %). Pay more attention to the mirror (take before photos because, if you're like me, you won't notice the progress otherwise), how your clothes fit, the tape measure, and possibly the body fat % readings.

I would also suggest adding more weights. I'm not super familiar with fitness blender, but if it's like a lot of other cardio-weight programs, it really isn't enough weights to get those goals you want. Lifting heavy things is what will do it. Look into either New Rules of Lifting for Women or Starting Strength, both are books which help you understand the compound lifts (and the second helps set up a good program). You won't get bulky if you're eating at a deficit, but you will lose fat while mostly preserving muscle (even though the scale might not show your progress which is why I say to ignore it).

Just for reference, I'm 5 feet tall, perhaps 5'1" on a good day :laugh: I weigh between 128 and 130. I've been lifting heavy since August, 2-3 times a week, and while my calories are set to 1600 I've been really lazy about measuring or logging, so I'm sure I've averaged more like 2000 a day or more :ohwell: Still, in that time, I've gone from 26.8% body fat to 22.4% and from snug size 6 jeans to comfortable 4 and occasionally size 2 depending on cut & brand. My profile picture (the one in the blue top) is from August, and I'll post one here from a couple of weeks ago. Yes, I have some work still to do, but my point is you don't need to starve yourself … with the right kind of work and diet (aim for ~100g protein a day, at your size), you can look great even if the scale is higher than you expected.

2e054ff4-f413-4180-9452-ea135f22eb20_zpsf6772384.jpg

6991158d-2b3f-4658-8a7a-9a22e0303892_zps461c4181.jpg

(Oh and forgive the hair … I'd just gotten home from a workout)

Wow I'm looking to reduce me body fat % down to about 20~22% as well. Those abs of yours looks fabulous, by the way! :D