Interesting ways to spice up white fish?

Options
I eat a lot of tilapia & I season it with the basis garlic, onion, pepper. But I'm getting sick of the flavor. Any suggestions on making it tastier? Thanks!

Replies

• 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I put mango habanero salsa in with mine to bake.
  • fayefayee5
    fayefayee5 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i do a lemon garlic butter for white fish sometimes (yes butter is not so good, but I only use 1tsp, right at the end, to give it a glaze)
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I like Tilapia. Here are a couple of recipes I do

Spicy Tilapia with Aoli

• 2 pounds tilapia fillets
    • 2 tbsp chili powder
    • 1 tsp garlic powder
    • 1 tsp onion powder
    • 1 tsp cumin

Aioli
    • 1-1/2 cups mayonnaise (light mayo works well for this and keeps the calories down)
    • 6 cloves garlic, minced
    • 1-1/2 tbsp lemon juice
    • 1-1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
    • 3/4 tsp dried tarragon

Lemon-garlic Tilapia (similar to your standard above, but the lemon and parsley add a good flavor)
    4 tilapia filets
    • 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
    • 1 tbsp butter, melted
    • 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
    • 1 tbsp parsley flakes
    • pepper (to taste)

You could also bread them in panko bread crumbs with some herbs and spices and then oven fry for a different taste.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I like it in puttanesca sauce.

It's pretty much just tomatoes, olive oil, capers, olives, and garlic, and there are plenty of recipes. I brown thin slices garlic in heated olive oil in a large pan, then add the tomatoes, and put the fish on top and cover and cook the fish until done. Once ready, remove the fish, add the other ingredients and crank up the heat to cook the sauce down. Then pour that on top of the fish and serve with a glass of white wine. Anchovies also go very well if you like them as do crushed red pepper flakes if you like some spice.

I've used everything from canned tomatoes to cherry tomatoes and it always comes out tasty. You can serve it with or without pasta.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options

You could also bread them in panko bread crumbs with some herbs and spices and then oven fry for a different taste.

I use panko to bread and bake it in the oven. If you toast the panko first, it gives it a great flavor. Put about a cup of panko in a skillet with some dry sage, celery seed, and thyme. Heat on medium for 3-4 minutes until the panko starts to brown and release the herb aromas. Let it all cool then bread your fish. The recipe I use calls for a flour, egg, panko dredge first. Bake for about 15-20 minutes. Delicious!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I use chili powder and lime juice
  • beaches61
    beaches61 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake. or you can roll in a mix of bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Yummy.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options

I use panko to bread and bake it in the oven. If you toast the panko first, it gives it a great flavor. Put about a cup of panko in a skillet with some dry sage, celery seed, and thyme. Heat on medium for 3-4 minutes until the panko starts to brown and release the herb aromas. Let it all cool then bread your fish. The recipe I use calls for a flour, egg, panko dredge first. Bake for about 15-20 minutes. Delicious!

I'll have to try toasting them next time. Sounds great!
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Make a salsa: Take some tropical fruits--any mix of mango, pineapple, guava, etc. You can buy a frozen mix. Maybe about a cup total per serving. Add a tiny bit of minced red onion. Squeeze in some lime juice, and add a bit of hot pepper (I like jalapeño but have used anything handy), and add a bit of salt and pepper. I love cilantro too, so if I have it fresh, it goes in too.

Make the fish: Toss a tablespoon of flour and a pinch each of salt, pepper and cayenne. Dust a couple of thin filets with it. Get a fry pan super hot and add a tiny bit of oil and roll it around. Cook for maybe 1.5-2 minutes each side. Serve with the salsa.

This is great itself or with rice.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on making it tastier? Thanks!

Use it as bait to catch a larger, tastier fish.
  • nyla2120
    nyla2120 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the amazing suggestions! Now I have lots of new recipes to try out :wink:
  • sumeetg37
    sumeetg37 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    one of my favorite ways to do mild fishes is lightly pan fried in butter/oo with salt and pepper and then served in the holy trinity of japanese sauses soy mirin dashi... I usually add some pepper flakes...
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    i do a lemon garlic butter for white fish sometimes (yes butter is not so good, but I only use 1tsp, right at the end, to give it a glaze)

There's nothing wrong with butter as long as it fits your macros. You need fat in your diet.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorite tilapia recipes, especially in the summer because the sauce goes well on tomatoes, too.

Broiled Tilapia with Mustard Chive Sauce

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/broiled-tilapia-with-mustard-chive-sauce-recipe.html
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    bump for later. :)
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I didn't read thru all the posts but I just add a can of roasted tomatoes w/ it (usually preseasoned w/ garlic) I know it's pre fab but when I am eating fish everything else is uber lean w/ that meal so... I simmer it and then put it over my veggies :) yum!
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Lay in the pan...Lay slices of lemon and shallots on top and baked in the oven. You can do this with any white fish...halibut, soul, etc.
  • amagus
    amagus Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Cook fish with cracked pepper or lemon peeper and make a sauce to serve over it with fresh diced tomatoes, diced green and black olives, diced onions and diced peppers (bell for a mild flavor or your favorite chili peppers). Saute vegetables in a tablespoon of olive oil until tender and the juices combine.
  • thegabbleduck
    thegabbleduck Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I love white fish with pesto, then baked with some breadcrumbs on top
    its lovely and really easy :)
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Make healthy fish tacos. Yum.

Oh and Skinnytaste.com has an amazing Coconut Thai Tilapia recipe. It's a favorite in my house and everyone I've ever made it for says it tastes like it's from a restaurant and request the recipe.