Interesting ways to spice up white fish?

Options

Replies

• TheITCrowd1
    Options
    I eat a lot of tilapia & I season it with the basis garlic, onion, pepper. But I'm getting sick of the flavor. Any suggestions on making it tastier? Thanks!

Try this:

Get cherry tomatoes and stab them multiple times - squeeze the juice over the fish and leave the tomatoes ontop with salt pepper, a knob of butter and 2 teaspoons of balsamic vinegar (per fish) and splash over the top, - put in the oven at a low heat - 150 orso

then in a seperate pan thick slice sweet potatoes and boil for 10mins so they are soft - then melt butter, chilli flakes together to form a sauce, add green brocolli heads, chopped spring onions and some more chili flakes (make it hot!!) :D

Stir until the sweet potatoes look crispy, and veg is done, then take fish out of the oven and drench in the veg and sauce from the pan - continue to roast for about 30mins more until it looks awesome

Serve and prepare to taste the best - moistest and most succulent piece of fish ever bar none!!!

A pic of the dish is here - 1st one is in prep and second is the finished article sorry for the scaling mfp shaves the side of pics!

010.jpg
    001.jpg
  • rhonda6373
    Options
    This is kind of repetitive, but I tried this recipewith tilapia this weekend and it was good. I seasoned the fish and the panko per the reviews and set the oven rack down lower so the Panko would not burn. The sauce was good as well.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/crispy-fish-with-lemon-dill-sauce-10000001973612/

Good idea about toasting the Panko!
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I like it with red peppers , squash, carrots or any combo of the three. I put the veggies and either Pam or extra virgin olive oil( depends on my mood) in a frying pan cook for five or so minutes then add the fish to the pan. Sometimes I just use garlic, oion powder, pepper and basil. Sometimes I use Asian fish sauce or fajita sauce. If I use fajita sauce I put it In a soft taco shell yumm. Italian dressing, tomato vinaigrette dressing, the possibilities are endless.
  • IWILLBelieveAchieveInspire
    Options
    One of our favourite ways to eat tilapia, mahi mahi is in a bowl add 1tsp of olive oil, oregano, lemon zest, a little lemon juice, salt &pepper, parsley. Sit your fish in it to marinate a short while. Then when done marinating place the fish in a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Season some panko bread crumbs and sprinkle a little on top. Spray with olive oil spray and bake 400degrees until baked.
    The other way i love to eat this type of fish is just simply seasoned and served along side some hot horseradish. You can use freshly grated or a prepared horseradish. One prepared horseradish that will blow your socks off in heat is Atomic Horseradish. It will bring tears to your eyes and take your breath away, it's soooo hot! We put it on just about everything.lol My mouth is watering just thinking about it. ;)
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I keep it simple: A lemon pepper spice I buy in spice section.
  • Momma_Grizz
    Momma_Grizz Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I like to serve my tilapia with fresh lime juice but also with a Tomato Lime Cilantro salsa. I leave out the chili in the recipe below but it's super simple and very tasty (if you like cilantro). It goes very well with tilapia.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/fresh-tomato-salsa/
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I use lemon and Mrs. Dash. Lay onions on top. Occasionally a little crumbled feta cheese. So good.
  • gloriamenard
    Options
    I use a sprinkle of zatarain's crab boil seasoning. Yum
  • Tony Chachere's with salt & pepper!
  • katylil
    katylil Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Mexican fish is one of my favourite dishes!

I frequently use this recipe:

http://pinchofyum.com/spicy-fish-taco-bowls

"This is like a Chipotle burrito bowl, but it’s made with spicy fish and you can put as many pieces of avocado on as you want without paying two dollars extra. It’s what my Mexican food dreams are made of: avocado, brown rice, garlic, roasted corn and peppers, black beans, avocado, cilantro, cheese, avocado, and spicy fish. And avocado. With a little avocado on top."
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I like mine with chili powder,, cumin, salt, pepper and lime juice. Season it, wrap it in aluminum foil and pop it in the oven. It's moist and flavorful. When it's done, you can add salsa and a little sour cream as a topping. Another way I like it, is to pan sautee it in a little olive oil, season it with Jerk seasoning and then right before you take it out of the pan, pour a couple of tablespoons of Mango Vinaigrette Salad dressing over it to make a sweet, tangy glaze.
  • IWILLBelieveAchieveInspire
    Options
    Mexican fish is one of my favourite dishes!

I frequently use this recipe:

http://pinchofyum.com/spicy-fish-taco-bowls

"This is like a Chipotle burrito bowl, but it’s made with spicy fish and you can put as many pieces of avocado on as you want without paying two dollars extra. It’s what my Mexican food dreams are made of: avocado, brown rice, garlic, roasted corn and peppers, black beans, avocado, cilantro, cheese, avocado, and spicy fish. And avocado. With a little avocado on top."

OMG this sounds so yummy! Thanks for sharing it.
  • anthyne
    anthyne Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We use a medieval recipe to spice up white fish. I know it sounds weird, but it tastes delicious

per fillet
    1tsp ginger
    1/4 tsp clove
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp pepper

rub with olive oil(or dot with a little butter) spread spice mix over the fillets wrap in foil and bake at 400 F for 13-15 minutes.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    chili oil and sesame oil--on everything!!
  • scubabetty
    scubabetty Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • chunkybun
    chunkybun Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    1- "Fish in Crazy Water"

Place the tilapia in a large frying pan
    Cover with salsa + 1/2 cup water
    Let simmer for 15 min until fish is cooked
    Remove fish, leaving sauce in the pan
    Add a little flour or cornstarch to thicken sauce

Serve over brown rice w/toasted almonds or quinoa

2- Fish tacos
    Season fish with lemon juice + black pepper & pan fry

While fish is cooking, mix chopped cabbage w/greek yogurt to coat, lemon juice & garlic, refrigerate until fish is finished

Dice 1 Mango + 1 avocado, mix in red onion, cilantro, red pepper flakes

Serve in med sized whole wheat tortillas
  • nyla2120
    nyla2120 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Wow, I didn't expect so many responses! Thanks so much everyone for taking the time to share your delicious recipes for me! I've printed them all out :-)
  • mlima14
    mlima14 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    bump
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,661 Member
    Options