Binge Eating Disorder

Options
Does anyone suffer from binge eating disorder or has suffered from binge eating? What kind of successes have you had with stopping? Looking for friends who are supportive and can relate/share! what kind of tips do you have?!

Replies

• princessmoogle
    princessmoogle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I struggle at the moment with excess eating and the more I think about it, the more I want to eat. It's so difficult to stop constantly thinking about food when you want to eat less and keep your weight down! I'm a bit at a loss at how to do it to be honest.
  • livelaughlove384
    Options
    I just recently realized what an issue it is for me and how much it is inhibiting me as a person, with my weightloss and myself in general. I just bought the book Brain over Binge, so far it has been insightful!
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Binger here. What has worked for me is not having any of my trigger foods in the house. No candy, chips, desserts, general junk food in the house. Also, I used to go every Sunday on the sly and stock up on my junk food and hide it. Now when the weekly shopping needs to be done I have my husband go shopping with me. It really helps to stick to buying only the right foods that need to be in the house. I used to binge after work when I was bored but now I get on the treadmill and exercise really helps bust those feelings of wanting to binge. I have also stocked up on sugar free gum. I keep it in my desk drawers where I used to hide my junk food and I just pop in a piece of gum when I get a craving. I helps give me that sweetness that I want without the crazy amount of calories. Good luck!
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I don't binge often, but it happens when I want to eat the whole fridge. :D I drink a lot of water and chew sugarless gums. It helps most of the time. Also don't buy foods that can trigger this feeling. Buy vegetables and fruits as much as possible. It will be better to eat 2/3 apples than bag of chips or other junk food.
  • OtchCake82
    Options
    Yes I have it! I had a lot of success from August of 2012 to November 2012. I started by taking Phentermine prescribed by my doctor and once I got in the habit of not bingeing for a few weeks I did very well and lost 40 lbs and weighed 157 (the smallest I had been in a decade)! I fell off the wagon that following December and by the end of January I weighed almost 190! I couldn't believe how fast I put weight back on! I went to see my doctor again and he was blown away by my quick weight gain. We had a long discussion on what I did to put it back on so fast and that's when I was diagnosed with BED. From January 2012 until February 2014 every day has been a "last hurrah" (the day where you eat everything in sight to rid yourself of cravings and promise start fresh the next day). Well, after a year of trying to just make it through 1 day of normal eating, I think I've finally overcome binge eating for now. I've realized I can't do this on my own. I'm doing my best to log all of my food on MFP, and knowing people on my friends list can see my food diary keeps me accountable. Also, to get through the first few weeks of "resetting" my body to deal with a normal amount of food, I have to take a supplement that curbs appetite. I've tried hydroxycut, xenadrine, OxyElite Pro, Lipo 6X black Hers, and Fat Free. The one that's working super well right now is Fat Free. I actually don't feel hungry at all! But with binge eating it's a mental battle too. So, you still have to battle with the temptation to want to eat everything, but with the diet pill curbing my appetite helps a lot! I also have realized I need to keep my mind occupied or I'll sneak off into the kitchen and eat an entire valentine's day heart of candy. I've found that Pinterest has helped me stay distracted lol, and crochet. I hope this helps! :smile:
  • OtchCake82
    Options
    Binger here. What has worked for me is not having any of my trigger foods in the house. No candy, chips, desserts, general junk food in the house. Also, I used to go every Sunday on the sly and stock up on my junk food and hide it. Now when the weekly shopping needs to be done I have my husband go shopping with me. It really helps to stick to buying only the right foods that need to be in the house. I used to binge after work when I was bored but now I get on the treadmill and exercise really helps bust those feelings of wanting to binge. I have also stocked up on sugar free gum. I keep it in my desk drawers where I used to hide my junk food and I just pop in a piece of gum when I get a craving. I helps give me that sweetness that I want without the crazy amount of calories. Good luck!

Oh my gosh! I love the idea of taking your hubby with you! I'm so guilty of spending a lot on my junk food and hiding it! I would go shopping at 9PM and by time I got home everyone was asleep so I could easily hide my bad foods. Thanks for sharing this tip! And it's nice to know I'm not the only one who hides food :)
  • OtchCake82
    Options
    Oh, one more thing... I also drink flavored tea to curb sweet cravings. Not the sugary stuff, I'm talking about the Bigelow and Celestial Seasonings teas that you have to brew, and I add stevia to sweeten them.
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I definitely binge eat. I find that my trigger is a) having the type of foods in the house i like binging on and b) when I stop counting calories. Once i stop counting and holding myself accountable, it's very easy to just continue to eat and eat. Sometimes if i catch myself starting to eat more than I should I will physically remove myself from any food and either leave my apartment or plant myself somewhere where i can't eat. Or sometimes I'll make a mug of tea or something to keep me occupied and the urge will pass.
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I think binging is often emotional or had been turned into a habit. For me I used to also get really busy and not eat for 10 hours then eat 3000 cals in one sitting.

I think the key is to not have BAD things in the house and also have things you enjoy that you can safely eat a lot of if you have a problem controlling yourself around cookies, chips etc. I now am almost constantly eating so I never feel the need to binge...breakfast then snack on fruit, cottage cheese, veggies, lunch, more veggies, rice cakes, yogurt, more veggies, dinner etc. I try to eat every 2-3 hours and that keeps bingeing down for me.

Also drink lots and lots of water!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Erinelda
    Options
    I threw out all binge triggers and don't buy any. I still have massive meals but they are of the kind of food that can't hurt me. I have so many triggers..

Nuts, seeds, peanut butter.
    Any junk at all (like pastries, chips, desserts, 100 calories snack packs, chocolate..)
    Bread and bagels.
    Crackers.
    Chicken wings.
    Smoked meats like pepperoni and beef jerky.
    Some fruit (like cherries)
    Cottage cheese.
    Brie and string cheese.
    Honey.

Probably more. You can add me but I am dealing with my binging by eating mostly fruit, veggies and whole foods.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Had an ED for years now and although it is mostly under control I still have my moments.

Thanks to being prego, I crave ice chips. I binge on them. A lot!! Although my ice is only a replacement for foods, it keeps me in line. One of my fav binge items is dry cereal. I still eat it by the tons. I have to go out of my way to not buy it while shopping. Just to protect myself from temptation. My ED is triggered by emotional distress and anxiety. I have to keep those things under control just to help myself.

:flowerforyou:
  • I would like to think I am not a Binge Eater, but would suggest keeping your favorite foods out of the house. For me, this is the almighty Baked Lays. I could eat the entire bag. Cashew's are also on the naughty list. There is nothing for me to eat in the house out because I am bored.

Might I suggest the flavored dessert gum if you're a sweet tooth and my go to at work is Cliff bars (mother's are full of sugar, but if I have a sweet tooth moment, I have one of these).

I loooooooooooove the Grape Cube gum as well....I get to blow bubbles at work and refrains me from the peanut butter and graham cracker options at the nurse's station. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Lettee4
    Lettee4 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i do. if i have to binge i just try and stick to only foods that im allowed on my diet. i went through 3 weeks straight of overeating (i probably ate over 3500 calories each day) at one point last year because of stress and i only gained 1 kilo which i got rid of within a week after i stopped my binge-spree.
  • Erinelda
    Options
    I forgot about cereal. All types cereal.. I eat bowl after bowl. It spikes your blood sugar sky high, is not filling and gives no nutrients. It's bad m'kay.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I've had problems with binge eating since I was a small child. I can't keep trigger foods in large quantities in the house. If I buy ice cream, chips, etc. they have to be the type that come in single serve packaging (and even then, it's not "safe" if you know what I mean - there's a chance I will eat 4 of them). I find that for me, it's better to just abstain from the foods that trigger my craving to binge.

I have gotten a lot better about losing control, part of the problem for me is I too easily succumb to the craving to binge. It's never about the food itself it's about how much I can shove in my face at once or what I feel I can "get away with". It disgusts me that I'm basically addicted to the feeling of stuffing myself, but I've learned that it doesn't have to control my life.

I consider Saturday/Sunday my "relax" time when it comes to food. I always log everything, but I don't get down on myself if I am in the red. I've lost 13 lbs so far.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Read the book "Brain Over Binge".

Diet pills are just transforming your BED to EDNOS. So don't do that. It's not any healthier than binging. There are so many side effects of those pills that theu outweigh any benefits.
  • daphnec1994
    daphnec1994 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    i'm also struggling with it at the moment. I'm working on reduce the amount of binges. The important thing is to never give up. I've come to accept that binging is probably always going to be a part of my life. I just need to work on reducing the number and when i do go through a binge start the next day fresh with healthy eating and not giving up. Feel free to add me :D
  • livelaughlove384
    Options
    Part of my issue is I don't buy the stuff when my husband and I go grocery shopping together on the weekends...it's during the week after work when something bad has happened and stressed me out or made me depressed. I end up at the store buying my fav foods and binging on them when my husband is at night school. (I too go to school but it is all online). My binges most of the time are definitely triggered by emotions....=/
  • liftsforchocolate
    Options
    Part of my issue is I don't buy the stuff when my husband and I go grocery shopping together on the weekends...it's during the week after work when something bad has happened and stressed me out or made me depressed. I end up at the store buying my fav foods and binging on them when my husband is at night school. (I too go to school but it is all online). My binges most of the time are definitely triggered by emotions....=/

^ Exactly the same for me. I don't keep extra cash in my wallet, so if I do happen to use my card I'm less tempted to buy junk because I know it'll show up in the statement at the end of the month. It's still hard though because my fridge and pantry are stocked up with tons of peanut butter, almond butter, chocolate, etc. And I usually binge on oatmeal, nut butter, eggs, and greek yogurt, but I have to keep them in the house b/c I have to eat them almost everyday.

Next time you are about to binge (by buying junk), ask yourself why you are disrespecting yourself. You have to really just learn to respect yourself and realize you are worth much much more than it. I think it was last week, but I stopped at a grocery store (to buy binge food) after an exam, but I asked myself those questions and ended up buying my favorite protein bar instead and a chocolate greek yogurt flavor to try. The problems I try to escape by bingeing will still be there whether I binge or not, so I try my hardest to not avoid treating myself like a trash can.

Also, I read brain over binge and it helped me A LOT. It's true, the more you think you have a "disorder" the more likely you will give in to bingeing and blame it on the disorder. Just keeping my mind off it helps me feel like I am in control of it.
  • frankiep73
    frankiep73 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I struggle daily, by the minute, by the thought. I have hidden my binge foods since I was a kid. My parents knew I had it, but no one spoke of it. I do it now, and my husband doesn't speak of it. I have been through therapy, have done the keep it out of the house, keep it out of my grocery cart, you name it. I found my best help to be being accountable to someone daily. I had a group of people I was a part of back in 2008/2009 that was through WW and that really did it for me. We did it by trying to complete 3 cycles of 21 days and if you binged, you went back to C1D1. I did it several times and that was amazingly helpful. No, logging honestly here has been helpful. I also am back with an MD to help me be more accountable.

I have read countless book as well. Honestly logging what I eat is more than helpful at this time. Feel free to friend me if you like.