Mardi Gras and King Cake

Options
2»

Replies

• VoodooChummy
    VoodooChummy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Always save a little room for Cream cheese filled King Cake and Apple Hubig's Pie
  • catsplash
    Options
    Love King Cake with Dark Roast Community Coffee - born in Franklin, LA lived in Metairie now in CT
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Bump!
    Mardi Gras season is upon us! WOOO HOOOOO!!!
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Slidell, La. girl . We have a store just down the road from us that is only open during Mardi Gras time, Randazzo's known for their king cakes. And yes I leave room and do extra..
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I have been decidedly King Cake deficient so far this year. I need MOAR!!!

(slidell is a bit out of the way for me. gonna hafta buy local)
  • NotSoPerfectPam
    NotSoPerfectPam Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    oh man. yep. Trying to limit to 100 cal slices, but am afraid that will increase over the next week. Yesterday in my spinning class, at the end, I could have SWORN the entire room smelled like king cake -- everyone is sweating it off...
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I saw King Cake at whole foods and thought "what the hell is King Cake doing in Whole Foods????"
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I wish we got King Cake here. All we get are paczkis which I don't much like, not worth the calories, even for Fat Tuesday. Maybe I'll make pancakes.
  • dusjujr
    dusjujr Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    In New Iberia by way of New Orleans.. haven't had King Cake in two years but would love to have one from McKenzie's with a buttermilk drop.
  • kimekakes28
    kimekakes28 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm in Atlanta and my co-worker orders a King Cake every year from New Orleans and have it sent to the office next day air!
  • corinne1977
    corinne1977 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Houma, LA here. Where I work there is a King Cake here every week. I just gave up trying to resist.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    TX_Rhon wrote: »
    I'm still upset the Saints lost but.........

No good King Cakes here in Houston. For some reason, everyone tries to put a "Mexican Bakery" spin on the whole thing. Personally glad since I am not eating them, ha!

However, I'd kill for a Meche's Donut right now!!
    The "Mexican Bakery" spin is actually rosca de reyes, which is the Spanish and Latin American version of King's Cake.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Okay, because of this thread I've now bothered checking and apparently this place is supposed to have good king cakes: http://www.bennisonscakes.com/kingcakes.html

No idea if it's authentic at all (and I notice the paczki's get top billing, of course), but I have to go to Evanston on Saturday anyway, so may have to buy one.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's odd because in France you can only buy Galettes des Rois in January (it's for January 6th). It's the frangipane tart kind though (and gosh it's so good).
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is from Louisiana. Every year I have a King Cake from Gambinos shipped up to us in Chicago. Lord give me the strength not to eat the whole thing in one sitting :)
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I worked with a guy from the Gulf coast when I was in grad school, and every year his mom would send 2 cakes to us poor grad students. Much weight was gained.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I have withstood offers of about 12 king cakes this year. I am staying strong, thus far. There's a place not too far from where I work that makes WW cinnamon rolls -140 calories for a Cinnabon sized roll, 0 sugar. If I get too desperate, I'll head there for lunch one day.
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    My boyfriend is from Louisiana. Every year I have a King Cake from Gambinos shipped up to us in Chicago. Lord give me the strength not to eat the whole thing in one sitting :)

Gambino's got to me yesterday. I ate two fairly big slices. I LOVE Mardi Gras.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    I THOUGHT about increasing my exercise, but did not really. And I had three pieces of king cake. I didn't even get the baby.
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Neither did I!