Need inspiration for healthy and quick dinner recipes!

Options
It looks like I'm finally back on track with eating healthy. However, I'm now running into the problem that I have absolutely no inspiration when it comes to cooking healthy dinners.
When I'm alone I keep it very simple, I eat a vegetable soup, then whatever veggies I have in the fridge and some grilled chicken. Yes, that's boring.

When my boyfriend is with me, I want to cook a bit more interesting, but these days, it's often a curry or stirfry.

So I need inspiration!

What is your favorite recipe, or your go- to healthy fast food? And where do you find new recipes to try?

I look for recipes on Pinterest, and like the vegan recipes on ohsheglows.com

Replies

• Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Frozen Fish is really easy. Something like cod or salmon with a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkled with seasoning. I like Chef Paul blackened fish seasoning. Cover and bake at 425 for about 25 mins from frozen.

Ready rice tastes very close to homemade. Much more than minute.

I also make "oat bran risotto". Sounds gross, but oat bran is really creamy, so when you sauté some mushrooms, add the oat bran, and then use chicken broth instead of water, it is really yummy. My family loves it. Tastes like there is cheese in it. Only takes about 10 mins too. (Cook it down so that it is thick and creamy)

Try barley. My family likes it, but they like the oat bran better.

Sautéed arugula is a nice change from spinach and is really fast. Good with red bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms.

Bake sweet potatoes when you have time and heat them up for dinner

I buy split chicken breasts when they are on sale,marinade, and bake them. Then I get the scale out and freeze in individual serving sizes. These are perfect for lunch or dinner.

good chicken marinade::
    Buffalo Chicken- 1 tsp cayenne pepper, 1/2 tsp celery, 2 T apple cider vinegar, 2 T olive oil, 2 minced garlic cloves.
    Asian: 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 T ginger minced, 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper. 2 T soy sauce, 2 sliced green onion, 2 T olive oil. This tastes like the ramen flavor.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Skinny taste,cooking light,allrecipes,skinny kitchen

Also,look up slo cooker recipes
  • jwfuller78
    Options
    www.allrecipies.com is great, and cheap all around.

I'm with you, when I'm alone I cook two veggies, a meat and finish with some fruit. Takes me 20 minutes. I just lightly sautee my vegetables with salt, pepper, butter and I cook the meat covered so that it doesn't dry out. When my kids are home I cook the same thing and they eat it.

Cooking interesting is nice, but if it's slaving you (daily) to the kitchen for more than 20 minutes of prep/cook time and 10 minutes of clean-up then it's too much in my opinion. The boyfriend should understand that (: (also help out in the kitchen or otherwise)
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I made some chicken breasts and black beans in the crockpot the other night, I seasoned with taco seasoning and a jar of salsa. I shredded then and served over brown rice and lettuce. It was similar to a way lower fat version of a Chipotle burrito bowl.

Also love making breakfast burritos using Egg Beaters and turkey sausage/turkey bacon and Rotel.
  • eenbloempje
    eenbloempje Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    @sunbrooke, @jlshea, thanx for your suggestions, they sound very good!
    @patceoh, I will definitely look upt those sites!

And finally, @jwfuller78: the boyfriend is home late , so usually I cook. And he never complains! Even when it's veggies, grilled chicken and a potato, it's fine.. I'm the one that wants the more 'interesting' recipes :-)