My wife is driving me insane

Options

Replies

• thegingerpirate
    thegingerpirate Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    So I'm going to try to form a well rounded idea/hypothesis. As someone who has flipped back and forth wanting to lose weight and doing nothing about it, I can understand her reluctance to change. It can feel like you're heading down a dark hallway that you'll never come out of because you feel as if your entire life from that point on has to be about deprivation (of yummy foods, of eating dinner out with friends, eating birthday cake until you're ready to pop) and it can be really hard to feel like you're giving up on all of those things to weigh a little less. Also, when you start with a lot to lose, the journey can look endless when you're at the beginning of the road.

Something else important (I haven't seen this in any of the comments, but I could have missed it.) It's really the most MOST MOST important. You said that she's either diabetic or borderline diabetic. I was in a spot not very long ago where I was fighting reactive hypoglycemia (it's not diabetes, but gauging by how hard it was to kick the addiction, I can only imagine that if the condition was more developed it would be even harder). Even when I was full, my blood sugar would drop drastically throughout the day and my body would SCREAM at me that it NEEDED carbs or I was going to pass out. I needed those carbs or I started shaking, sweating, and getting faint. I spent a week of hell cleansing my body of its addiction to empty carbs and sugar and it has made such a difference in my life. Even if she ultimately decides not to lose any weight, breaking the cycle of addiction to carbs and sugars really could make a world of difference. It's very hard to muster up motivation to change your diet when every few hours your body just goes into fight or flight and demands carbs.

Is she intimidated by the thought of beginning to work out?

I don't know her, so I can't say what will or will not motivate her, but if she doesn't want to change it isn't going to happen. I agree with the people who said to present her with options for change, let her pick if she's willing to do any of them and if she isn't then next time present her with the list again and ask her what she would like to try.

Try to remember that this is hard and scary for her and that if you do want hr to follow through with her aspirations that she needs you to support her, especially when she's feeling weak and unmotivated.
  • tabithalmcm
    Options
    I can only advise you to test her commitment level next time she states she wants to lose weight by saying, "Ok let's get rid of all the foods that goes against your goals and let's go shopping to stock up on the foods that you need to be successful." That may help to get her on the right track. I know that for me it helps to NOT have easy access to all the 'bad foods'. It's just easier to make better food choices when the kitchen is stocked with 'good foods'. Good Luck to both of you!!
  • notsosimplyabby
    notsosimplyabby Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way until I found an exercise program I enjoy and "snacky foods" that I like that are healthy!

It also took my husband losing weight & toning up for me to realize that I needed to reevaluate myself! Lead by example & maybe she will get the hint!
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I think we have all been through this at some point, whether with a partner, family, friend, or even ourselves! My friend wanted to "commit to being healthy" with me but refused to do any hard work to get there. It was very frustrating but the only thing you can do is focus on YOURSELF and not let others' negativity stop you. They have to figure out the process for themselves. But I can totally understand how her complaining and lack of commitment is frustrating. Good luck! Focus on you and hopefully she will come around once she sees your amazing progress.

Edit: Also, you should remind her that she doesn't have to be "all or nothing." She doesn't have to quit sweets or carbs 100%. I've lost 35 pounds eating something sweet every single day and having pizza on occasion. Let her know that she doesn't need to eat clean or burn 1000 calories at the gym. She might be feeling overwhelmed at changing so many things at once.
  • wonkosane
    wonkosane Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Sent to me my my financial advisor:

It is not about the nail.

http://youtu.be/-4EDhdAHrOg
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    She's conflicted; wants to look think and feel good but isn't making the emotional commitment/connection to having to do the work. I have many friends just like that and you can't do anything about it - they have to want it enough to do the work. And believe me, they think they want it, but they aren't "there" yet. I'd be willing to bet that most of us on this site were there once. You might want to have her read through the forums. I've seen a lot of banter about losing weight fast and diet restriction being the cause of snap-back binging and she needs to see that. It's a lifestyle change - not a "diet" that she's really in need of.

Best of luck to both of you as you struggle through this.
  • osothefinn
    osothefinn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing your thing brother. She'll either come along for the ride at some point, or not, but the only person you can control is you.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    OP, I know it's a tad different since it wasn't a romantic relationship but I saw this sort of situation from a third party perspective.
    I lived with an engaged couple for a few years.

The man was very fit and active, watched his diet, and took good care of himself.

The girl made terrible food choices, spent tons of money on crazy fad diets then never did them longer than two days, talked about getting fit, refused to exercise, refused to listen to her doctor, and complained that she was heading towards obesity while drinking whole milk lattes and eating a tub of ben & jerry's every other day.

Worst of all she was a nurse so she had a "I know more about nutrition than you do" attitude.

He often came to me to complain about her lack of commitment to her own health. My advice to him is the same I will give to you: if you truly love her, you will continue to support her no matter what and no matter how infuriating this situation is.

And there isn't anything wrong with the occasional (not every day, more like once a month) reminder that she is welcome to join you in an exercise or meal making decision.

Remember, it's very likely she feels enough guilt about the situation as it is so it's not a good idea to make things more negative for her. In fact, some personality types sense negativity from their partners and begin to internalize it themselves...making their own problems even harder to overcome. Her constant "I'll get better tomorrow!" attitude could likely be a reflection of her guilt of making you deal with her yo-yo diets, and when she becomes overwhelmed instead of pestering you more she gives up and goes back to what she knows. Support is truly the best, however annoying and difficult, way to get through to someone.

If it were me married to someone like that: I'd stress that I would want them to live a long and healthy life, and their current lifestyle would end up making me a widow! It's definitely not easy seeing a loved one abuse their body and endanger their health, so don't feel bad telling her how you really feel about this. But do so /gently/.

Also, it should be brought up that she may have some sort of issue that therapy could work out. I know multiple people that therapy and nutritionists helped them segue into a healthy lifestyle, and I firmly believe that's what it really takes for some people. Now, don't go suggesting she see a therapist!!! (or else you'll be sleeping on the couch)

Best of luck OP!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - I would just go with keep doing what you are doing and maybe as you have success she will come around to your way of thinking. When she says all these random things about wanting to lose ten pounds but keep the same habits, just smile and say "ok" and do not even bother to comment. Perhaps, your success will make her realize that your way is the right way to do things...
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Well you know how the saying goes...
    zpbZLya.jpg

Best advice I could provide is beyond leading by example is if you have the inclination prepare her meals/snacks so you can introduce better eating habits and maybe (hopefully) she will see and feel results that will start motivating her, so eventually this will occur...

KjK86nM.png

Best of luck OP but I have been in a similar position with family members and their want to change has to outweigh their desire to stay within their current comfort zone.

^^^^This^^^^ She hasn't made up her mind that she wants to change, that's why she's vacillating. The WORST THING you can do is push her (read: give her a gym membership or form-fitting red dress for your anniversary, her birthday, etc.) The BEST THING you can do is listen, agree with whatever she's saying at the time and lead by example, at least until or if she makes up her mind to change. I know how hard it is to stay on the "righteous" path because I tried to diet with a husband that would bring home gallons of rocky road ice cream (now ex-husband, btw. I know a good divorce lawyer too if you need one! :laugh: .)
  • vslnrunner
    vslnrunner Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Have her sign up on here and surf the message boards. Maybe she will come to her senses. Sometimes people won't take advice from the ones closest to them.
  • PlumpKitten
    PlumpKitten Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have a friend whose wife got heavier and heavier through marriage. She went from normal to clearly obese.

It happened as she was having kids and was also working a tough job. I fully sympathised. Pregnancy, baby care and being a working parent hits mothers hard. (Even if you are healthy and cautious, you can put on 25-30 lbs per pregnancy).

He tried to motivate her -- but did a few things that didn't work.

So here's what NOT
    * Do NOT buy a slinky new "motivational outfit". Women get enough pressure -- from pre-teens on -- to look a certain way. This woman was already feeling unattractive and ashamed before being presented with an outfit she couldn't possibly fit into. Do not buy too-small "sexy" lingerie either. What a man might find "sexy" could feel degradingly slutty or trashy, especially to a wife feeling not great about herself. Your message should not be "Hey - I wish you looked like a pole dancer."

* If you do buy something, get a long, soft, flowing silk/satin nightgown, a beautiful scarf, etc.

* Do not make the diet / exercise to be about attractiveness, love, romance or anything personal. (OK, you may be telling a white lie here -- most people aren't as attractive to partners who get very out of shape.) But for the time being, keep it entirely to her health, well-being, etc. While SHE might bring up attractiveness, you as the husband should never imply that she should be dieting to be prettier for you.

* It sounds like your wife is frustratingly contradictory. Do not get into long-winded arguments about the details of dieting - proteins vs carbs vs calories, etc. It's not a contest of who is factually right or wrong. Everyone -- including your wife -- KNOWS how to diet (less calories, more exercise), but it's hard to do. It's like no smoker wants to be repeatedly reminded that smoking is bad. He KNOWS it -- it's just hard to stop.

What to do -- Less badgering, more action.

* Who does the groceries? If you do -- or you go together -- buy lots of fruit, veg and lean protein, and don't keep any junk food for yourself in the house.

* Keep healthy snacks around. My husband says he dislikes fruit - but if I keep a bowl of apple slices or grapes around at night, he'll eat it with me. If he sees me snacking on butter-free popcorn, he'll have some, too.

* Who cooks? When it's your turn, make healthier meals to share. My husband also says he dislikes veg. But if I make an effort to do more greens as side dishes, he will eat them.

* What activities do you do? Can you go for walks, throw a Frisbee around a park, visit physically active friends, take a class together? You can do exercise without making it feel like you're forcing yourself to the gym.

Finally, do try to get her to a doctor. I have a distant uncle who lost a leg to diabetes.
  • staceycakes71
    staceycakes71 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    She's most likely feeling very insecure. When you got together, I'd assume you were a similar 'level of attractiveness'. Now you're into fitness and she's getting bigger. She might think deep down that you want to leave her for someone thinner/ fitter etc. If she thinks that it's impossible for her to lose the weight, she might subconsciously be setting her self up to fail, to prove herself right. (I know that sounds like psycobabble!)

I'd agree with the above - do little things to help the situation, like go out for nice walks in the country, cook meat that she likes, even watch things on tv like The Biggest Loser, so she can see real people losing weight. Show her the success stories section on here.

It won't kill her to have carbs if she sticks the calorie limits. At least she'll lose the weight, and you can address the protein issues later.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    This has probably been said but she kind of sounds like my mum and one of the ONLY ways I have helped her on, or anyone else in the family whether over weight or depression, is by taking the first steps together.

I'll say - look I'll do EXACTLY what you do and eat for two weeks - let me do everything and all you;ll have to do is follow it. After that let's see how you feel and if it's a disaster, then we'll change it.

The hardest is breaking the habits and cycle
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,675 Member
    Options
    What worries me is the suspected diabetes. Does she have any of the Type 2 symptoms?

Excessive thirst
    Frequent urination
    Blurry vision
    Unexplained fatigue
    Slow healing cuts and wounds
    Numbness or tingliness in hands and feet.
  • MrsSausage58
    MrsSausage58 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    All you can do is listen and pretty much ignore. She has to flip her own switch to make the lifestyle changes to meet her goals. Sounds like when she is truly ready and gets started you will be willing and able to help. At least she is thinking about it and maybe just thinking out loud. The diabetes is serious thing though. Surely she should seek help for that.

This. I was similar for years. I wanted to change but I basically too lazy to do it and thought I'd probably fail anyway. I flipped that switch the day I found MFP.
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing your thing brother. She'll either come along for the ride at some point, or not, but the only person you can control is you.

This. Lead by example, listen and hold your tongue. Telling her how to diet or what to do will only turn her away. You can't change anyone but yourself. Take over some of the cooking and shopping (for yourself of course).
  • FlyThisKite
    FlyThisKite Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be dead honest here. That was me. Just like me and I would rant and rant and cry and rant...and rant..I drove my family nuts but never did a darn thing to change it.

What I wanted was not to have to work to get where I wanted to be. I didn't feel it was fair that I had to give up everything to look like someone who looked that way their whole lives and did little to get there(my twisted rationalizing).

I had to hit bottom, 32 years old and still desperately seeking my bellybutton at 330lbs. To me that's the bottom of my barrel.

She knows where she is...she knows what she needs to do.

The sad thing is she has not hit bottom yet, when she crashes and burns...she'll change when she is ready. She's not ready yet.

You can't force her to change, she can't do it unless she really wants to. That's frustrating because you love her, you don't want to see her suffer, you don't want to see her get sick and feel left behind. I get that. The thing about people is you can't push them to do what they really don't want to do even if you know it's better for them.

Hang in there.

You need to take care of you and just lead by example. She will follow you when she's ready. Till then...invest in earplugs.

Good luck :)
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    @op.. Lead by example. Work whatever plan you have for yourself. When she talks about weight etc, invite her to join your workouts. Offer her some foods that you're eating. Sometimes people are scared of change. To some, the weight becomes like a security blanket. Be her example!
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    May I suggest signing your wife up for MFP and logging what she eats for her. Also log in any exercise she does. Do this for a week and then show her the results. she might see it as a wake up call.