protein please help

Options
I keep craving meat all the time I constantly graze on sandwich ham and chicken just to make me feel better. I have increased my exercise and intensity over the past few day and also ran out of protein shakes last week and don't have the money to get more until friday (payday ) is this the reason why or is it just me ( a lot of people tell me I shouldn't take protein shakes as there for men to build muscle) please help finding it very hard at the moment

Replies

• JRKWebb
    Options
    TO increase satiety and decrease hunger make sure each meal consists of a good balance of carbs, proteins and fats. Out of interest, why do you feel you need so much protein?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    ( a lot of people tell me I shouldn't take protein shakes as there for men to build muscle) please help finding it very hard at the moment

1. stop listening to those people.
    2. what exactly is the issue? You're craving protein? Get some canned tuna? grill some chicken?
  • BiggyFuzz
    BiggyFuzz Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your exercises. In general when you are working out, you are tearing muscle fibers and protein helps rebuild that.

Also, protein is protein but i strongly recommend getting them from a food source rather than powder form.

Personally, i only have protein shakes the days i workout, the other days i try to get my protein intake by meats, eggs, legumes etc...

Message me if you want to talk more about it.

Hope this helps
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Judging from your diary you don't get that much protein in - generally under 100 grams. I generally eat about 175g or so a day. Eat some more protein if that's what you're craving!

Protein shakes are just protein. They don't make men build muscle and they won't do that for you either.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I'm not seeing a problem??? Except maybe sodium intake from sandwich meats.... eat more protein if you're craving it. Protein is good for you. Drink your protein shakes. If they help you build muscle... why would you avoid them? Building some amount of muscle is always good, even if your focus is not on strength training.

And another thing: don't let people tell you anything is just for men :)
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    your breakfast and lunch consisted of very low protein.
    your daily goal is 111 grams?
    you should be eating .08 per lb of body weight your goal of 111g seems low, though I don't know how much you weigh.
    I weigh 121lbs and eat 110g per day-keeps me very full (fiber and protein keeps you fuller longer.

I used to drink shakes too, untill I learned how to get protein from real food.
    Some suggestions...
    eggs
    tuna, fish, chicken, lean red meat
    Greek yogurt, cottage cheese
    low sodium beef jerky
    nuts
  • louisedavies311
    louisedavies311 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your exercises. In general when you are working out, you are tearing muscle fibers and protein helps rebuild that.

Also, protein is protein but i strongly recommend getting them from a food source rather than powder form.

Personally, i only have protein shakes the days i workout, the other days i try to get my protein intake by meats, eggs, legumes etc...

Message me if you want to talk more about it.

Hope this helps

I must admit its the day I do aerobics that I need it
  • louisedavies311
    louisedavies311 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    your breakfast and lunch consisted of very low protein.
    your daily goal is 111 grams?
    you should be eating .08 per lb of body weight your goal of 111g seems low, though I don't know how much you weigh.
    I weigh 121lbs and eat 110g per day-keeps me very full (fiber and protein keeps you fuller longer.

I used to drink shakes too, untill I learned how to get protein from real food.
    Some suggestions...
    eggs
    tuna, fish, chicken, lean red meat
    Greek yogurt, cottage cheese
    low sodium beef jerky
    nuts

I do try I take fiber supplements as of ibs so I know I am high in fiber I will try to eat more protein each day thanks it really helps to get peoples views
  • helen8328
    helen8328 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You should up your protein on workout days as you've torn the muscle fibres by using them and they need protein to repair and get bigger and stronger. Try sipping on a protein shake during or after your workout as this is when your body needs it the the most. They're not just for men to get big and bulky at all, they're for anyone who needs protein. It's impossible for a woman to get big manly muscles (at least without other questionable supplements) as we lack the testosterone to do so. If your body is craving meat then go for it, just try to make sure it's quality food as sandwich meat is usually highly processed. An omelette would also be a good option.